The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Built a prototype and it works, now what

Mark Haas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 4, 2016
All,

So quick background: I am a mechanical engineer with a 9-5 job. I also know a great deal about fitness, nutrition and muscular anatomy. I am a men's physique competitor as a hobby and I have been learning about fitness and nutrition since I was very young. I have read TMF , and this is what I want to do.

I built a prototype exercise machine and I am currently testing it. There is nothing like it on the market. From my results, I feel very strongly that it is working and that it definitely will work for others too. It is doing exactly what I wanted it to and more.

My question(s) is/are this:

Should I file for a provisional patent now?
Should I buy some pro-engineer/Autocad software and start making a final design, then build that first before I file for the provisional patent, then a fun patent a year after the fact?

Are there any books out there that teach me how and when to formally patent something?
(I have already looked at related exercise machine patents out there and I have a basic understanding on how they are written.)

Are there any books/resources out there that explain how to mass produce a machine?

Are there any books/resources out there that explain how to market something like this?

Any help is very appreciated
Respectfully,
MH

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mark Haas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 4, 2016
One piece of advice... If you really care about IP protection, DON'T do it yourself.

Don't do which myself?
Design it? Patent it? Or test it?

I was planning on getting a patent lawyer for the full patent even thought it's going to cost me.

firmwear

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 26, 2013
All,

So quick background: I am a mechanical engineer with a 9-5 job. I also know a great deal about fitness, nutrition and muscular anatomy. I am a men's physique competitor as a hobby and I have been learning about fitness and nutrition since I was very young. I have read TMF , and this is what I want to do.

I built a prototype exercise machine and I am currently testing it. There is nothing like it on the market. From my results, I feel very strongly that it is working and that it definitely will work for others too. It is doing exactly what I wanted it to and more.

Should I buy some pro-engineer/Autocad software and start making a final design, then build that first before I file for the provisional patent, then a fun patent a year after the fact?

Are there any books out there that teach me how and when to formally patent something?
(I have already looked at related exercise machine patents out there and I have a basic understanding on how they are written.)

Are there any books/resources out there that explain how to mass produce a machine?

Are there any books/resources out there that explain how to market something like this?

Respectfully,
MH

If you are looking for a book about patent statues, drafting/filing patent applications (PPA or RPA), and prosecuting a patent (provisional or regular) application, then I recommend "Patent It Yourself" by David Pressman (actual patent lawyer), Nolo Press. It is a very long book but also easy to read (for a book of this type) and it is a very thorough primer on the subject of patents. It is one of the only books I read about patents that did not have a "get rich quick" feel to it.

The answers to all your questions are covered in the first few chapters, and you will get much better answers than from this board. I have never personally seen a question on this board about patents that could not be answered from reading Pressman's book.

One of the most important parts of filing a competent patent is good drawings. You will probably want to draw your invention in CAD and submit good drawings with your application; however, before dropping 4-5 figures on Solidworks/Pro-E/whatever, I would just slow down for a week or two and give the book a read (<$40).

Best of luck to you!

Mark Haas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 4, 2016
If you are looking for a book about patent statues, drafting/filing patent applications (PPA or RPA), and prosecuting a patent (provisional or regular) application, then I recommend "Patent It Yourself" by David Pressman (actual patent lawyer), Nolo Press. It is a very long book but also easy to read (for a book of this type) and it is a very thorough primer on the subject of patents. It is one of the only books I read about patents that did not have a "get rich quick" feel to it.

The answers to all your questions are covered in the first few chapters, and you will get much better answers than from this board. I have never personally seen a question on this board about patents that could not be answered from reading Pressman's book.

One of the most important parts of filing a competent patent is good drawings. You will probably want to draw your invention in CAD and submit good drawings with your application; however, before dropping 4-5 figures on Solidworks/Pro-E/whatever, I would just slow down for a week or two and give the book a read (<$40).

Best of luck to you!

Thank you!

I will do that.

-MH

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Expensive software isn't necessary, a relatively inexpensive & scaled down 2D package will work. Sketchup looks like a good low cost 3D option, but admittedly I haven't used it. I have a chopped down version of Autocad that cost around $100 a couple years ago...but at the moment I can't remember what the product name is. Looks & works exactly like Autocad. It works great for most drafting.
Pro-E is ridiculously expensive!

This is really no different than any other product. Create your design, spec out the materials you would like to start with & get some prints ready. Search the web until you've found several vendors for each part and start calling/emailing them. If you're looking for a mfgr to produce the entire machine & deliver to you, that's a very different search then having the parts individually produced & sent to you (and you setup your own assembly). There are several good threads here regarding that decision, but I suppose that's up to you.

TCMD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 8, 2016
Expensive software isn't necessary, a relatively inexpensive & scaled down 2D package will work. Sketchup looks like a good low cost 3D option, but admittedly I haven't used it. I have a chopped down version of Autocad that cost around $100 a couple years ago...but at the moment I can't remember what the product name is. Looks & works exactly like Autocad. It works great for most drafting.

This is really no different than any other product. Create your design, spec out the materials you would like to start with & get some prints ready. Search the web until you've found several vendors for each part and start calling/emailing them. If you're looking for a mfgr to produce the entire machine & deliver to you, that's a very different search then having the parts individually produced & sent to you (and you setup your own assembly). There are several good threads here regarding that decision, but I suppose that's up to you.[/QUO

Last edited:

TCMD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 8, 2016
Some kids in our local jr high school where just awarded a patent for a self closing shutter to help protect homes from wild fires. It took them a few tries due the drawings not being up to "par" that being said they got it done and they learned that the drawings are a critical and they also found out that
they had to figure out what was "wrong" with the drawings/prints themselves (apparently the "office " does not offer advice on what might be wrong)
so I think detail and uniqueness are critical---Good Luck I hope you do well

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How do you know anyone wants one?

firmwear

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 26, 2013
Mark Haas, assuming you're an American, the U.S. is a FTF country. The book I recommended will explain the implications of putting your invention up for sale. This is also assuming your invention is patentable to begin with.

My advice is to read the book before doing anything else or acting on anybody else's advice.

Take care.

Last edited:

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
All,

Respectfully,
MH

First off, you need to validate the product. See if someone want to buy it. If you want an example of validation this link will help - http://www.appsumo.com/sumo-jerky/

If you want to mass produce a machine there are many ways to go, but its going to be expensive. The proto you build is physical right? Did you try giving it to your friends and then seeing if they like to use it? Make sure that the design is perfect before you mass produce, otherwise you will be fu**ed.

Okay, if you want to get a book to learn mass production I am afraid that it will be very hard to find a one-size-fits all. As the way you mass produce a vehicle engine is very different from the way you produce clothes. But since you already build a proto I think you will know what parts are available as a standard product and what needs to be custom build, so you can sorta come up with a supplier list, processes and cost estimation. Start building in batches and makes sales. Later on start mass producing once you have the money.

Again, easier said that done. But you can do it :)

Mark Haas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 4, 2016
So

This is really no different than any other product. Create your design, spec out the materials you would like to start with & get some prints ready. Search the web until you've found several vendors for each part and start calling/emailing them. If you're looking for a mfgr to produce the entire machine & deliver to you, that's a very different search then having the parts individually produced & sent to you (and you setup your own assembly). There are several good threads here regarding that decision, but I suppose that's up to you.

So it's looking like I will read this "patent it yourself" book, patent it and then start the process of either getting a manufacturer to make the machine, or accumulate the resources to make it on my own.

Do you happen to have any specific links to the threads that you speak of?

Mark Haas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 4, 2016
First off, you need to validate the product. See if someone want to buy it. If you want an example of validation this link will help - http://www.appsumo.com/sumo-jerky/

If you want to mass produce a machine there are many ways to go, but its going to be expensive. The proto you build is physical right? Did you try giving it to your friends and then seeing if they like to use it? Make sure that the design is perfect before you mass produce, otherwise you will be fu**ed.

Okay, if you want to get a book to learn mass production I am afraid that it will be very hard to find a one-size-fits all. As the way you mass produce a vehicle engine is very different from the way you produce clothes. But since you already build a proto I think you will know what parts are available as a standard product and what needs to be custom build, so you can sorta come up with a supplier list, processes and cost estimation. Start building in batches and makes sales. Later on start mass producing once you have the money.

Again, easier said that done. But you can do it :)

I appreciate it. Yes I asked some of my friends and they like it. I am afraid to keep asking people because the machine is not that difficult to build and I am afraid someone will go and build it. They even said they would definitely use it if it was in their gym.

Mark Haas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 4, 2016
How do you know anyone wants one?

I do not. I'm trying to figure out how to get feedback on if people like it.

My current thought is to get a provisional patent first. Then I'd put a flyer out in my apartment complex, or my local gym (preferably my local gym, because these are the types of people who's opinion really counts), that I'm going to have an event where they test out the machine for free, they will get free food in return (I'll make chicken sandwiches or something, or order a pizza). They will provide qualitative positive and negative filled out sheets for the machine after using it. Then I will give them my email address. I will also ask them if they'd use it at home and/or if they saw it at a gym.

Based on that feedback I can see if it's worth building a final machine that's polished to be sold to the world.

If I get people that physically want to buy it or a lot of people emailing me with questions then I'll validate that I am on the right track.

I'll also have a trifold of the testing I've done with the machine with the before and after pictures to show that it works. (My results so far is that it is definitely working... and this is the key: WITHOUT changing my diet at all.)

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
I would advise you to get a provisional patent,
you can do this online yourself and it only cost $50. Search this forum for provisional patents and you'll get more than enough info about how to go about this (Or google it)

Then, that will provide you protection for 1 year, in this one year you need to get real market feedback. To see if anyone even wants to buy it.
VALIDATE your product first! test some ads/landing pages/price offers to see if its even worth your time... If it is then persure your real patent.

Worst thing that could happen is you spend a bunch of money and time patenting a product you can't even sell, or nobody even needs.

Remember, Patents need to be reinforced, if Apple decides to copy you... then good luck sueing them, you'll go broke. Most the time going to market fast and establishing yourself way better than getting patents. People can always design around you anyways. Good luck

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I do not. I'm trying to figure out how to get feedback on if people like it.

My current thought is to get a provisional patent first. Then I'd put a flyer out in my apartment complex, or my local gym (preferably my local gym, because these are the types of people who's opinion really counts), that I'm going to have an event where they test out the machine for free, they will get free food in return (I'll make chicken sandwiches or something, or order a pizza). They will provide qualitative positive and negative filled out sheets for the machine after using it. Then I will give them my email address. I will also ask them if they'd use it at home and/or if they saw it at a gym.

Based on that feedback I can see if it's worth building a final machine that's polished to be sold to the world.

If I get people that physically want to buy it or a lot of people emailing me with questions then I'll validate that I am on the right track.

I'll also have a trifold of the testing I've done with the machine with the before and after pictures to show that it works. (My results so far is that it is definitely working... and this is the key: WITHOUT changing my diet at all.)

Make a progress thread today.
Execute in a few weeks.
Time to hustle.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
As the eMarketing field is not my specialty, and there are so many here that are better at it than I, I'm surprised that no one has suggested you consider eMarketing to get views/likes and pre-orders. There is a lot of info here on the "hows", so all I can add do is suggest you consider it. I see videos & ads for new products on my FB feed all the time!!!

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
.....Then I will give them my email address. ...
Get THEIR email instead. List building is key!! And try multiple gyms, preferably where you don't know anyone.

Paul Schuyler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Aug 7, 2016
The Woodlands, TX
All,

Respectfully,
MH
Market feedback. Market feedback. Market feedback.

A patent is nice to have but a distraction at this point. Will people buy this thing at a price that you can afford to manufacture and distribute it? That's the only thing that really counts and in my opinion that's where you should really focus. No one's going to steal the idea. Get feedback from potential customers, don't talk to any "knowledgeable" person with an opinion (myself included!). I'm thinking in my mind of Perfect Pushup, pretty simple device but it really works on all levels. Bought it 10 years ago and it works like new, it still saves my wrists. If you determine its viable to produce in mass quantities and its a great product, then get all the other levels (like patents and manufacturing) going.

If you get great market feedback and decide you don't want to manufacture it, then you could pursue a patent and approach manufacturers to license to them the patent. But even if you get there your market feedback will be your value proposition.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.