The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Built 100k business in 5 months. Now stuck.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey guys!

I have kind of a unique story so I'll cliff it:

- Graduated college in 2014, read TMF and dropped the corporate job I had lined up

- Move to Phoenix with no plan, "supported" myself for 4 years with freelance writing
-I put supported in quotes because I put myself 40k in debt by the end (CC's and money owed to dad) I had several deep depressions and mental breakdowns in this time where I did nothing for months at a time.
-Fast forward to April of this year. I got my act together and started to build a freelance copywriting business. Was making a few grand a month.

- June I decided to move out of my apartment in Phoenix and I've now been traveling the country in a campervan to eliminate all distractions, lower my living costs and just do something different than live in an apartment where I was depressed for a large portion of time.

- I've now built the business to a 12-15k/mo revenue. I have 2 part-time employees, one is my VA who does whatever I need and one is my main copywriter. My take home is between 8-10k.

The problem: I'm now at a point where I'm at my full personal workload capacity, which isn't very high in the first place. I'm not one of those "born for this" entrepreneurs who can put in 10+ hour days. I'd have a mental breakdown doing that. I'd say I put in about 5-6 hours of high-quality work every day, including weekends.

So what I need is advice on finding someone to help me grow my business, and I don't really know where to start. Business consultant? Marketing strategist? I know how to grow (lack of time and stress tolerance keeps me from executing), but ideally I'd like to find someone who needs no direction and can just grow my business for me.

My budget would be 2-3k/mo. (A solid chunk of my earnings is going to paying off my aforementioned 40k debt)

I'm still at 32k in debt, so I need to balance paying that off and having a set amount to reinvest in my business as well.

As mentioned, I live in a van with just my dog so my expenses are quite low.

I spend more than I should on food because it's one of my few sources of joy out here (600/mo roughly)
Gas - 200/mo
CC interest payments - 600ish now.

So I'd say in the $1,700-2k range when all is said and done.

The good:

I've found my strength.

My mental breakdowns before were from having to write. It's so hard for me to focus on one thing and be creative all day, so now that I've outsourced all my writing, the stress is much lower.

My strength is in multi-tasking and growing the business, and I'm really good at selling myself and dealing with people even though I don't particularly like to. I'm good at keeping the wheels from falling off and managing a bunch of things at once. It feels like higher-paced, more action. I consider my personality to be like Gary Vee in that I need constant stimulation, but I of course don't have his insane work ethic.

This is getting long-winded now. I'm just looking for advice on where to go from here. I now have the money to leverage the expertise of others to grow my business while I continue to focus on the workload that I can currently handle.

Thoughts, advice?

Thank you!

Jake

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Could you lay out what you spend most of your time doing, plus how much you like doing that thing, and what its effective payoff is.

E.g. 10 hour day
3 hours: communicating with staff, like, worth ~40/hr
3 hours: selling to clients, dislike, worth ~60/hr
4 hours: writing content, like, worth ~20/hr
4 hours: accounting stuff, dislike, worth ~20/hr

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Could you lay out what you spend most of your time doing, plus how much you like doing that thing, and what its effective payoff is.

E.g. 10 hour day
3 hours: communicating with staff, like, worth ~40/hr
3 hours: selling to clients, dislike, worth ~60/hr
4 hours: writing content, like, worth ~20/hr
4 hours: accounting stuff, dislike, worth ~20/hr

Typical day looks like this, from 9am to 8pm:

2-3 hours: Answer prospect inquiries/draw up quote and make the sale - dislike.

I have my VA do as much as possible. The barrier: I need someone to answer inquiries as they come up, which is unrealistic to ask of an employee, but also critical to my business because people want things yesterday, PLUS I have to sell to them before they lose that flame of motivation on their new idea (I work with a lot of startups).

I attribute a lot of my success to being available to prospects and clients within minutes.

1-2 hours: Editing work from main copywriter - dislike.

The barrier: Finding someone who will edit with as much care as I do for a price that makes sense for me. Also, I give my clients quick turnarounds so I would need a very available, skilled editor.

1-2 hours: Crushing big opportunities - LOVE.

Despite what I said in the initial paragraph about selling, I love selling myself to high-profile, high-potential clients to grow the business. I really love building the business in general I guess, and also managing my employees. I feel like I'm an amazing boss if I'm being 100% honest.

This is making me realize that I'm trying to outsource the one thing I like about my job, which isn't good.

It's hard to put an hourly on each one of these, but I know for sure that editing is the worst use of my time. It causes me to procrastinate because like I said I have a hard time focusing, and then it's also the thing that I perceive as the easiest to outsource, though still challenging.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.