The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building long-tail Google Ads campaigns for fun and profit

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
TL;DR:
  • A decade ago I helped a startup acquire 15k signups a day using Google Ads.
  • Since then we generate leads for clients, but don't store the lead data.
  • We've not done email marketing to date but did a quick test to grow an email list with Google Ads HERE.
  • We're going to start storing the lead data and making use of it.
  • We'll own the whole system end to end: the Google Ads accounts, domains, websites, and emails. Oh, and the consumer facing brands.

More Details:
  • We generate leads for clients using Google Ads.
  • Someone searches on Google, clicks our ad, hits our page and fills in the form. An email is sent to the client.
  • We don't capture the prospect's info. If we did we'd be able to nurture the lead and maybe get them to buy again in the future.
  • We'll also add a little check box and allow people to opt into a list we'll own.
  • Obviously, we'll have to comply with GDPR and good practice.

A Ficticious Example:

Someone searches for "business grants ireland".

They see our ad for "Business Grants Ireland - Speak To An Expert".

They click and hit our achingly simple landing page:

Looking for a Business Grant in Ireland?
  • Check if you're eligible.
  • Get help applying.
  • Contact us now.
< Contact Us Now >

When they hit the button it asks for their contact details and message.

The contact details and message get sent to the client (like we currently do).

This time we'll put a checkbox on the form and get permission to send more info to the visitor.

We'll also test it the other way round where we get people to opt into the email list and on the Thank-You page we'll present the option to speak to an expert. This might work even better, but we'll start where we are.

We've kicked off two simple projects where each client will likely give us €200 to run some Google Ads tests. The landing pages are being developed and I bought a couple of domains to slap them on.

EDIT: Moved to the outside since it might help people see how they can progress beyond freelancing once they have a skill...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Can do it with Facebook Ads too. Getting leads for a Fastlaner right now for $2 a piece. Get an email address, a Youtube subscription, and a possible low level offer sold to some of them to at least break even and it's a limitless list building machine.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Can do it with Facebook Ads too. Getting leads for a Fastlaner right now for $2 a piece. Get an email address, a Youtube subscription, and a possible low level offer sold to some of them to at least break even and it's a limitless list building machine.
Exactly! Add a low cost offer and break even. In this case the client will pay for the ad spend and leads and we get the emails (as well as building a limitless list building machine that we own). We'll play with the order and also test having a low cost offer.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We started our first campaign yesterday.
  • This doesn't get people onto an email list yet, it just has a "Contact Us" button.
  • We'll amend this shortly, but for now we just want to know if there's potential volume with low bids.

Promising stats from yesterday:
  • And that's with me forgetting to create sitelinks which should give a boost to CTR.
  • We've just dropped bids for today from €1.00 to €0.50, and turned off desktop and tablet which have barely any volume anyway.

1677142927070.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some of the search terms today were for pretty small locations in the UK so we're loading 36k UK locations.

1677196432663.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
W/C 27-Feb-23

19 visitors last week for €11
  • 1 form fill.

Ads stopped showing on Thursday last week when we loaded 36k locations.
  • They've just started showing this morning.
  • I guess the campaigns ended up flagged for manual review and have been approved now.

We got another form-fill just now:
  • This is promising. He submitted his name, phone number, and email address. We'll follow up and help him out. All these moments engaging with the market help us figure out who they are, what they're stuck on, why, and how best to help them.
1677513195465.png

The form-fill is a conversion from today and here's the stats so far by the hour:
  • Ads have probably stopped showing as we're over the €5/day budget.
  • We're mostly losing Impression Share due to budget, implying we can drop the bids from €0.50 and still get volume. I'll do that now so we run at €0.25 bids tomorrow.
1677513090310.png

Daily Stats to date:
  • We only just installed conversion tracking so the conversions today are for that form-fill and the click on the button to start the form-fill.
1677513298055.png

Actions taken today:
  • Dropped bids from €0.50 to €0.25.

Weekly Trading:​

1677513063450.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I logged in first thing as I wanted to see the Impression Share data for yesterday.

Why doesn't Google just tell us the Search impr. share is 3.15% instead of us having to work it out (100 - 83.30 - 13.55 = 3.15) ???

Working backwards, if we had 236 impressions with a 3.15% impression share then there were about 7,500 searches yesterday that we could have showed for (236 / 0.0315).

Other notes:
  • We actually had two conversions yesteday but one hasn't registered (or maybe it was organic or word-of-mouth - which I doubt).
  • We've a budget of €5/day and Google took €9.95. Not a big deal in this case, but just be aware that Google can take up to twice as much as you specify.
  • Bids are €0.25 today. I'm curious if that's enough to get impressions.
  • We're just using paid search ads on the Google search engine, and just on mobile. I want the learnings so we can adjust the offer and landing page to match what people want, rather than run Performance Max campaigns that will try to find conversions based on our simple test landing page.

1677570396529.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Day 1 for a local lead gen project.

2 leads already? Is this sustainable?!?

2023-03-03_13-13-07.png

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
TL;DR:
  • A decade ago I helped a startup acquire 15k signups a day using Google Ads.
  • Since then we generate leads for clients, but don't store the lead data.
  • We've not done email marketing to date but did a quick test to grow an email list with Google Ads HERE.
  • We're going to start storing the lead data and making use of it.
  • We'll own the whole system end to end: the Google Ads accounts, domains, websites, and emails. Oh, and the consumer facing brands.

More Details:
  • We generate leads for clients using Google Ads.
  • Someone searches on Google, clicks our ad, hits our page and fills in the form. An email is sent to the client.
  • We don't capture the prospect's info. If we did we'd be able to nurture the lead and maybe get them to buy again in the future.
  • We'll also add a little check box and allow people to opt into a list that we'll own.
  • Obviously, we'll have to comply with GDPR and good practice.

A Ficticious Example:

Someone searches for "business grants ireland".

They see our ad for "Business Grants Ireland - Speak To An Expert".

They click and hit our achingly simple landing page:

Looking for a Business Grant in Ireland?
  • Check if you're eligible.
  • Get help applying.
  • Contact us now.
< Contact Us Now >

When they hit the button it asks for their contact details and message.

The contact details and message get sent to the client (like we currently do).

This time we'll put a checkbox on the form and get permission to send more info to the visitor.

We'll also test it the other way round where we get people to opt into the email list and on the Thank-You page we'll present the option to speak to an expert. This might work even better, but we'll start where we are.

We've kicked off two simple projects where each client will likely give us €200 to run some Google Ads tests. The landing pages are being developed and I bought a couple of domains to slap them on.

EDIT: Moved to the outside since it might help people see how they can progress beyond freelancing...
Thank you so much for sharing this.
Other people would use this to become gurus and charge $4997 for the ability to see this.
You posts are going to be the basis for my Google ads once (or if haha) my account gets approved.

4gus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 18, 2023
Thanks for this Andy! Like Subsonic said, it's super helpful for us who've just started to see how you work!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks @Subsonic @4gus

You guys have just made me *properly* realise that, although I've been repeating myself daily in the forum for years, there's new people joining daily who've never read any of it.

I've been too wary of boring people who've already read a few of my posts. That's not the right mindset.

I'll bear that in mind going forward.

In the meantime, check out the second and third row of links in my signature. (Turn your phone sideways if you can't see my signature.)

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
This is an incredible strategy, I've been thinking towards the same line and maybe I'll start a thread once I get things going.

For me, I've been thinking about creating something similar for company formation LLCs for clients in developing nations who need to connect with lawyers and firms who provide such services.

I already have the skillset to build a proper dashboard, automate the lead gen, onboarding docs and appointment setting for booking a call with a lawyer.

Lawyers can pay me $200 per client or maybe a few per appointment.

But this is an idea I can replicate for legal, insurance, medical even the agric industry, it's basically PHASE 2 of my consulting journey, PHASE 1 being building applications for clients and providing marketing services.

I'd like to be more involved sna shave more control over the process, especially lead gen and your post has given more some ideas.

Thanks and God bless!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
W/C 06-Mar-23

For the email signup project:

Last week we had 78 visitors for €24.
  • 9 clicks on the button (11% of visitors).
  • 1 form submission (11% of people who clicked the button).
1678144137302.png

Campaigns are currently paused while we work on the copy for the bullet points and button.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Contact Us" button last week:
> 78 visitors
> 9 button-clicks (11% of visitors)
> 1 submission (11% of button-clicks, 1% of visitors)

"Get Notified" button last two hours:
> 11 visitors
> 2 button-clicks (18% of visitors)
> 1 submission (50% of button-clicks, 9% of visitors)

Low numbers, but seems to confirm our suspicions that they would prefer notifications instead of contacting someone.

(There's still room to improve the 9% visitor-to-submission-rate.)

The next step is to get their name, email, and other info added to ConvertKit or similar.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Started another lead-gen project Monday night.
  • Started with €2.50 bids to kickstart the algorithm.
  • Dropped the bids to €1.00 yesterday.
  • Hit the €5/day budget around 12:00 noon today.
  • Dropped bids from €1.00 to €0.50.
  • No leads yet, but not many visitors so far.

2023-03-08_14-20-50.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Trying to figure out the simplest way to get Convertkit signups break-even via Google Ads by referring signups to other newsletters using Upscribe from Sparkloop.

Rightmessage might even be in the mix to recommend newsletters based on subscriber responses.

Here's my vision:

1) Someone searches on Google

2) Clicks relevant ad

3) Hits relevant landing page

4) Answers survey questions

5) Signs up

6) Gets recommended relevant newsletters who pay if they signup

Dial this in so initial revenue covers cost and you're building an email list for free.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is how we start "W/C threads" (Week Commencing threads) with clients:

(This is for the local lead gen project.)

W/C 13-MAR-23

27 visitors for $183 last week.

Google reported:
  • 4 calls and 3 leadforms (I see maybe 5 unique callers in CallRail and only 2 leadforms in my inbox).
  • CPA of $26.
1678745085491.png

Observations (not sent to the client):
  • We're losing too much Impression Share due to budget (47% last week). We could drop bids and get more visitors (clicks) for our $25/day budget. We'll lose more Impression Share due to rank (quality score * bid price), but might get more visitors with a lower CPC.
  • Alternately, we could switch from Manual bids to Maximise Clicks or Maximise Conversions. I think it's too early to do that. I'd rather dial it in manually at the moment till the campaigns have more data for the algorithm to work. I'm also not 100% convinced our conversion tracking is working properly yet.
    EDIT: I don't have time to muck about changing bids. Switched to Maximise Clicks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
For the project where we're going to try and get email signups "breakeven":

W/C 13-Mar-23

11 visitors for €5 last week.
  • We only ran the campaigns for an hour last week.
  • We'd changed the button from "Contact Us" to "Get Notified".
  • We had 11 visitors for €5 and 1 person filled in the form. Granted it's only 1 person, but that was a big jump in conversion rate to 9% from 1% the week before.
  • We currently have campaigns paused while we hook up the form to add emails to ConvertKit.
  • We also wanted to signup to a newsletter partnership program (which we got accepted to today).
  • Working on the form -> ConvertKit integration.

1678752997994.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
For the third project that's currently a lead-gen in Ireland:

W/C 13-Mar-23

55 visitors for €38 last week.
  • No enquiries unfortunately, which is slightly surprising. Maybe the page isn't trustworthy enough, or maybe they want to read information rather than speak to someone. We'll devise a test this week.
  • On a positive note, CPCs are very low, we've a great CTR, and there's a LOT of volume. I've just dropped bids from €0.50 to €0.25 to see if we go from 10 visitors a day to 20 visitors a day. That would be quite amazing given the potenial value of the searches being performed.
1678751305755.png

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
For the third project that's currently a lead-gen in Ireland:

W/C 13-Mar-23

55 visitors for €38 last week.
  • No enquiries unfortunately, which is slightly surprising. Maybe the page isn't trustworthy enough, or maybe they want to read information rather than speak to someone. We'll devise a test this week.
  • On a positive note, CPCs are very low, we've a great CTR, and there's a LOT of volume. I've just dropped bids from €0.50 to 0.25 to see if we go from 10 visitors a day to 20 visitors a day. That would be quite amazing given the searches being performed.
View attachment 47604
That's a really nice low CPC and a really nice CTR.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Anyone else seeing this? Google's deliberately showing us for competitor brand names even when we're not bidding on them.

Google Taking Liberties.png

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Hey @Andy Black , what's your opinion about Convertkit?

Looks like it gets quite expensive quickly? Even 10k subscribers is $100/month.

Maybe it's enough for a landing page with an "email me when the app is ready" form though. And it includes a landing page builder, which is great.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey @Andy Black , what's your opinion about Convertkit?

Looks like it gets quite expensive quickly? Even 10k subscribers is $100/month.

Maybe it's enough for a landing page with an "email me when the app is ready" form though. And it includes a landing page builder, which is great.
I've not really used it yet. It might be overkill for what I'm doing.

I don't like its landing page builder, but can use Carrd.co or (more likely) get my developer to create a page.

I like that it's not the cheapest. Whoever uses it isn't choosing tools for their business because they're the cheapest.

I also like that the founder is super active on social media and has a podcast.

IF I wanted to sell "growing ConvertKit newsletters with Google Ads as a service" then I know who's radar to get on. It's not part of the plan but it's a consideration.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
I've not really used it yet. It might be overkill for what I'm doing.

I don't like its landing page builder, but can use Carrd.co or (more likely) get my developer to create a page.

I like that it's not the cheapest. Whoever uses it isn't choosing tools for their business because they're the cheapest.

I also like that the founder is super active on social media and has a podcast.

IF I wanted to sell "growing ConvertKit newsletters with Google Ads as a service" then I know who's radar to get on. It's not part of the plan but it's a consideration.
I see, thanks for sharing your tools :)

I might just go for wordpress. Overkill, but I have 3 empty slots anyway.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Interesting stats for yesterday for one of the projects:
  • We're mistakenly recording a "Form Button Click" as a primary conversion. We'll fix that so it's only a secondary conversion.
  • 2 forms submitted out of 13 clicks would be a 15% conversion rate.
  • The CPA would then be €2.58.
  • The high "Search lost Impression Share due to budget" of 87.80% indicates we can maybe drop the bids from the current €0.40.

1679512276092.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last week stats for one of the €5/day campaigns:

12 of those reported conversions were clicks on the form-button (we've changed that so they won't show up as primary conversions going forward). The other 9 conversions were form-submissions.

The client also said they have a similar number of phone calls.

Let's say 9 form-fills and 9 phone-calls = 18 conversions.

That's a 17.5% conversion rate. Not bad for this early in the project.

1679921186152.png

The client gave us a good idea what type of calls were coming through.

We've turned off a lot of the ad groups and will focus the €5/day budget on two types.

If we had 103 visitors for just those two then we can start dialling in the landing page a bit more.

Oh, and here's the landing page for all you feckers who keep overcomplicating this:

1679921480510.png

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
I was planning to learn google ads in the near future and all the datas you're sharing are of an incredible value

Thank you Andy ! This is first hand, applicatives infos to improve our learning curves

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.