The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building an online education business - How do I provide the most value?

Onassis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 30, 2019
Hello,
I am currently working on creating an online learning platform in a specific niche where I believe there is a need, and I am knowledgeable in.

It is within an industry where you need a lot of info to get started as a hobbyist or professional. So being able to have info collected and structured in one place would be very beneficial.

I have done the research and found what is already out there to be lacking. There is so much I could improve upon or add to as course material.

The biggest competition would be Udemy, which people already trust and might even have bought courses from before. But I am planning to offer more structure and highly focused content. I am even thinking of creating some interactive sections (this can work well in the niche I have chosen).

This is why I don't want to make it like any other course. If people wanted that they could just go to udemy.

I have the budget to hire a developer to create the interactive content, and I have enough for a google ads campaign.

So far, I have:
  • Set up a website with a blog that gets about 200 visitors/month organically. (Only 3 months old so it's still growing a lot). This is the platform I am planning to build the memebership/courses on .
  • Done a lot of research and begun outlining the content.

I am still undecided whether I should do a Membership site with access to all content through a monthly plan or make each course a one-time purchase.

If anyone here has any insight or feedback they want to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

What is your experience with build this kind of business? How do I make my content the best it can be?

I know I did not give so much information here but just wanted to show a general overview of the idea. Also working on a progress thread!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello,
I am currently working on creating an online learning platform in a specific niche where I believe there is a need, and I am knowledgeable in.

It is within an industry where you need a lot of info to get started as a hobbyist or professional. So being able to have info collected and structured in one place would be very beneficial.

I have done the research and found what is already out there to be lacking. There is so much I could improve upon or add to as course material.

The biggest competition would be Udemy, which people already trust and might even have bought courses from before. But I am planning to offer more structure and highly focused content. I am even thinking of creating some interactive sections (this can work well in the niche I have chosen).

This is why I don't want to make it like any other course. If people wanted that they could just go to udemy.

I have the budget to hire a developer to create the interactive content, and I have enough for a google ads campaign.

So far, I have:
  • Set up a website with a blog that gets about 200 visitors/month organically. (Only 3 months old so it's still growing a lot). This is the platform I am planning to build the memebership/courses on .
  • Done a lot of research and begun outlining the content.

I am still undecided whether I should do a Membership site with access to all content through a monthly plan or make each course a one-time purchase.

If anyone here has any insight or feedback they want to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

What is your experience with build this kind of business? How do I make my content the best it can be?

I know I did not give so much information here but just wanted to show a general overview of the idea. Also working on a progress thread!
Check out threads by
@Fox @Rabby @lowtek @Lex DeVille

These might help too:

tonibob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 22, 2020
London
Hi @Onassis ,

Here is my two cents regarding the Membership options. I would prefer if I get access related to let's say Finance, I would like to have constant access to everything in Finance, new and old. If I want to learn more in Accountancy then you can up sell discounted access or similar to me. I hope this makes sense, as this way you would keep me longer on your platform instead of one off, where I get what I was looking for and next time I will probably search the net for something new.

Good luck,
Pete

Onassis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 30, 2019
Hi @Onassis ,

Here is my two cents regarding the Membership options. I would prefer if I get access related to let's say Finance, I would like to have constant access to everything in Finance, new and old. If I want to learn more in Accountancy then you can up sell discounted access or similar to me. I hope this makes sense, as this way you would keep me longer on your platform instead of one off, where I get what I was looking for and next time I will probably search the net for something new.

Good luck,
Pete
Thank you for you feedback.
Doing it that way seems like the best option.

The challenge will be to create enough relevant content and update it regularly to keep providing new value. But that’s the whole point of the business.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Free Youtube videos as a funnel towards your website

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
In education, you provide value by helping someone do something that they could not do before.

When someone starts something for the first time, they are quickly overwhelmed. A good education tool (whether it's book, audio, video, or a combination) breaks things down for them into small pieces they can understand, and incrementally builds their knowledge.

The best way to learn to do this is to teach people in person. You can quickly discern where people are at, what they need help with, and what they are not understanding. Communicating an idea in a way that someone else can precisely understand is actually quite challenging.

So if you are knowledgeable about your subject, but have never taught before, I would highly recommend teaching people in person or live on skype, to get an understanding of how to teach it.

Onassis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 30, 2019
In education, you provide value by helping someone do something that they could not do before.

When someone starts something for the first time, they are quickly overwhelmed. A good education tool (whether it's book, audio, video, or a combination) breaks things down for them into small pieces they can understand, and incrementally builds their knowledge.

The best way to learn to do this is to teach people in person. You can quickly discern where people are at, what they need help with, and what they are not understanding. Communicating an idea in a way that someone else can precisely understand is actually quite challenging.

So if you are knowledgeable about your subject, but have never taught before, I would highly recommend teaching people in person or live on skype, to get an understanding of how to teach it.

Thank you, this was insightful. As I understand it, people dont pay so much for the content (although that’s extremely important as well) as much for the structure.

The truth is I have never taught before so I should mabye focus more on that skill too as I already got my niche knowledge down.

Jiersk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 3, 2020
Netherlands

Perhaps you can consider what both of these could bring, both for your customer and yourself.

I'd say that a monthly subscription may be an attractive option for yourself if you want a somewhat stable recurring revenue (time frame depending on whether your membership is weekly/monthly/quarterly etc.). A one-time-purchase model might bring some more fluctuation.

Full transparency though: I do not have the data to back this idea up, just an intuitive idea.

As to what would be best for your customer in this regard, I'm uncertain too.

Good luck

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Thank you, this was insightful. As I understand it, people dont pay so much for the content (although that’s extremely important as well) as much for the structure.

The truth is I have never taught before so I should mabye focus more on that skill too as I already got my niche knowledge down.

Get yourself teaching some people in person and live on skype - you'll quickly start figuring out what works and what doesn't!

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Good. You have supply (your idea and knowledge).
Now. Verify if your target market is willing to pay at all.
Read around in this forum or somewhere on the web.
There is a bit more to it than asking "would you buy".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.