The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a real estate money system in USA or Latvia [Comparison]

baltais

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 25, 2017
Latvia
OK, so my main idea of this topic is to compare which is better real estate investing market - USA or Europe, specifically Riga, Latvia (that is where I am from and is basically among the most promising real estate markets around Europe).

So let's compare:

I will share my story about investing in the city of Riga which is the capital of Latvia (population ~800'000).

So I have bought two apartments in the past 9 months and these are my only ones so far.

First one was a foreclosure and I got it for 25.4k EUR without bank financing - 440 square feet 2-room apartment.
Second one was bought in a just renovated apartment house for 36.5k EUR with 15% down payment - a 390 square feet 2-room apartment in the outer city centre.
Both of them needed a complete inside fixing.

So far I have spent 4500 EUR for fixing the first one but the total will sum up to around ~7500 EUR.
The second one will probably be the same.

For the first one I can get around 240 EUR/month. Tax is around 70 EUR/yearly.
That makes around 8.5% ROI yearly for this apartment.

For the second one I can get around 300 EUR/month with tax being around the same 70 EUR/yearly. So that makes around 6.8% ROI yearly but it has a better potential for appreciation as the apartment is located near to city centre.

When adding also the appreciation for small apartments in Riga which has been 9.5% during the past 12 months and 7.3% during 2016 then this adds up to around 14-17% ROI yearly.

When speaking of real estate investing in USA it all comes down to what city are you investing in.
If we look at biggest cities in USA for example New York City or Los Angeles or even Vancouver, Canada - we hear ROI of around 3-6% yearly (not including appreciation). That's a pretty big difference. Though there are much better examples like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis.

What are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I wouldn't factor appreciation into your returns. You don't get that money unless you sell or refinance.

I would just focus your calculations on your yearly cash-on-cash returns and monthly cash flow.

When it comes to the US. The best cities to invest in real estate are the boring ones. Indianapolis, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, etc just as some examples. The farther from the coast the better and less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.