The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a corporation

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Pharez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 23, 2021
Good day guys... Please, I need some clarity on this. I'm in the process of building a corporation. I've drafted out the full idea & now trying to execute. How can I get people to work with me on the idea without paying them nothing yet, especially as the business will be making little or no profit as a startup?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Good day guys... Please, I need some clarity on this. I'm in the process of building a corporation. I've drafted out the full idea & now trying to execute. How can I get people to work with me on the idea without paying them nothing yet, especially as the business will be making little or no profit as a startup?
Charisma

originalMJT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 18, 2021
England
offer them shares and when the company makes a profit they get a dividend

theOfficialRJ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 31, 2017
Canada
Do you absolutely need these people to work for you? The only real thing that motivates people, especially slow-laners is money. And if they are fast-laners, then why would they work on building someone else's dream?

Be very careful about working with other people. Nobody will ever care more about your company and put in more effort than you will.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Thank you for the advice. I really need these people to work with me because there's a lot of work that I won't be able to do alone.

And like you said, its money that really motivates people to work... That's where my challenge is.

Are there other ways I can motivate people to work with me for sometime aside money, till the money starts coming in?

Give them equity or bribe them with lunch/dinner/"experience" that they can use as referral for the next job they apply for. I reckon a lot of talented Nigerians come out of college/uni with no real life experience and thus can't land a job because employers want people with experience. Try the "intern" angle.

Pharez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 23, 2021
Give them equity or bribe them with lunch/dinner/"experience" that they can use as referral for the next job they apply for. I reckon a lot of talented Nigerians come out of college/uni with no real life experience and thus can't land a job because employers want people with experience. Try the "intern" angle.
Wow, nice. This is one good way. Thank you.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I built my brand to a certain point with a small local community on Instagram, developed relationships, incurred media coverage, made a solid name in the industry, and started to offer equity deals. My team is at over 20 with the goal of adding a bunch more to close the year for a much more active 2022.

Keys are to keep word at all time, do not abuse with overworking, make sure you have something solid with a concept that has a high ceiling and be careful of bringing in trash and use short term contracts at first. Best to offer low amounts of equity at first with option to go higher later than get stuck in equity deals that lock down a large part of your company. Took me five years to get to the point where I was confident to offer deals with more than a few people.

Pharez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 23, 2021
I built my brand to a certain point with a small local community on Instagram, developed relationships, incurred media coverage, made a solid name in the industry, and started to offer equity deals. My team is at over 20 with the goal of adding a bunch more to close the year for a much more active 2022.

Keys are to keep word at all time, do not abuse with overworking, make sure you have something solid with a concept that has a high ceiling and be careful of bringing in trash and use short term contracts at first. Best to offer low amounts of equity at first with option to go higher later than get stuck in equity deals that lock down a large part of your company. Took me five years to get to the point where I was confident to offer deals with more than a few people.
This is helpful, thank you.

Pharez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 23, 2021
OK, thank you for the advice.

A friend told me about a recent startup which he's part of, where he and the other workers are not paid a dime but everyone is steadily working on the idea. According to him, most of them are excited about the great potential of the company and therefore are willing to work without pay till the company grows.

I was surprised and asked him if they were offered shares but he said no.

So this got me thinking... Aside offering shares, what other ways can I get people to work with on my idea till the company can start paying salaries.

Pharez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 23, 2021
Do you absolutely need these people to work for you? The only real thing that motivates people, especially slow-laners is money. And if they are fast-laners, then why would they work on building someone else's dream?

Be very careful about working with other people. Nobody will ever care more about your company and put in more effort than you will.
Thank you for the advice. I really need these people to work with me because there's a lot of work that I won't be able to do alone.

And like you said, its money that really motivates people to work... That's where my challenge is.

Are there other ways I can motivate people to work with me for sometime aside money, till the money starts coming in?

Pharez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 23, 2021
Are you doing something that absolutely cannot make any money at first? Why?

There are lots of businesses that can make money on day 1.
Thanks for your reply. The challenge is that it might take sometime before it starts making money because we'll need to test and validate the idea over a period of time & this may require spending money on our own part.

That's why I'm asking, are there ways I can get people that can stick with me through all the process till the money starts coming in?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.