The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a Brand Identity with Emotions

Marketing, social media, advertising

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I don't understand why people choose to feel depressed.

It baffles me.

Like, if they can feel anything, why would they want to feel that way? Quite ridiculous actually...
feel.png
In this article, you will learn:
  • How to control the emotions of others so you can,
  • Increase sales of your product or service, and
  • Develop a brand identity.
So let me ask you a question...

How did YOU feel when you read the things above the picture?
  • Who the fu*k is this guy, being so insensitive?
  • Anger?
  • Frustration?
  • Hatred that someone could say something like that?
What negative emotions came up to the surface when you read the first part of this post? Be serious. I'm sure the emotions would be more intense if you've felt depression for long periods of time in the past.

The picture above was me talking to another Fastlaner on Facebook last night about emotions and building a brand. In a few minutes, she was able to change the way she feels about a specific thought. But it was also mainly a large buffer-zone so I can rile up your emotions before you realize the real point of me doing that...

How to control and harness the emotions of others so you can build your brand identity.

In a post I made last week that cures procrastination and laziness, the solution is to control the way you make yourself feel in the present moment. You do this by creating a life-sized picture of your worst-fear if you continue to eat junk food (dying in hospital with stroke, diabetes, and family crying). This life-sized picture in your mind triggers the negative emotions, and then you anchor (attach) those emotions to the bag of potato chips.

Then you manufacture positive emotions by bringing up a life-sized image of the best-positive outcome, and attach those emotions to the cucumber/tomato/salad. All of a sudden, whenever you see a bag of potato chips, you feel an energetic repulsion, and when you see the healthy food, the positive emotions pull you into it like a magnetic attraction of positive energy.

This physical item is now magnetized and pulls people into it because people are craving its emotions...

"It's kind of like real-life magic."

So this is how you control YOUR behavior (attach negative emotions to the things you want to move away from) and (attach positive emotions towards the things you want to be magnetically drawn towards). This has worked very well for myself, and for the many people who commented on the thread since.

If you can control your own behavior, can you apply this same lesson to controlling the behavior of others?

A lesson in psychology and human behavior...

Part 1 - What are thoughts?

Thoughts are actually pictures in your mind. Your brain translates them into what you perceive as "thoughts". So when you think of something, bring up a picture in your imagination, and that is a thought.

In an analogy, think of your thoughts as a drinking glass.

Part 2 - Thoughts trigger emotions.

When my friend thought that she "can't make it" (with her goals), that thought (picture) was filled with a negative emotion. Think of your emotions as the liquid that fills the drinking glass.

If the glass is full, the emotions are powerful. If the glass is empty, the emotions are gone. If the cup is filled with disgusting negative emotions, and the cup is small/far away, the emotions are less. If the cup is big and close, she sees what's in it and she feels it more.

feel2.png

This is how you control the way you feel (and ultimately how you can control the way your followers feel).

You do so by anchoring (attaching) emotions to specific thoughts and/or things.

Here is an example of a major beer company doing exactly this during a Super Bowl commercial. Pay attention to how you feel positive emotions during the video, and when they slap their logo on the screen at the end, those emotions are associated with that logo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKgC8KPBMg

When you go down the beer aisle at the supermarket in the future, and your unconsciously see that logo, it's like a magnet that energetically pulls you towards it. They attached the positive emotions to the logo in a similar way to how I attached a new feeling to the thought in the picture with my friend.

She is building a luxury brand...

Focus on the feelings...

What if I were to tell you that you actually don't want to be a millionaire.

You want the emotions you attached to that goal. You want to feel the freedom. You want to feel the accomplishment. That abundance. That feeling that everything is taken care of. That prestige. Feel the admiration from others. The worries and stresses of life are gone.

Imagine seeing a flag stuck in the ground 100 feet in front of you. The flag represents being the millionaire. When you see the flag (the goal), you will feel all those things. So when you are wandering off in a field, it is those emotions which you are magnetically pulled to.

In your mind, you attached those emotions to the thought of being a millionaire.

But it's the emotions you are drawn to...and if you can attach them to anything; does this mean you can magnetically pull people to your brand by using the same process?

You move towards things that feel good....

Now, package up the bundle of emotions you would feel when you achieve that goal of becoming a millionaire, and wrap it up into one simple phrase.

"I made it."

You know that feeling you'll get when you reach the point and say "I made it!"? All the hard work paid off, and you made it.

In this example, that is what you are emotionally pulled towards.

People get magnetically drawn towards things that make them feel the way they want to feel.

In her luxury brand, the feelings can be summed up into "I made it". What do your customers want to feel, what emotions are they drawn towards?

Now, how can you anchor all of those emotions into an identity.

For her luxury brand, she brought up an image in her mind of a specific type of person who has "made it". And when she looked at this person, she saw all the qualities in this person that she listed before (accomplishment, admiration, etc.).

Just by looking at this person in her mind, she felt those emotions of I made it.

That image of the successful person triggered those emotions.
  • But what if instead of anchoring the emotions to the identity of person,
  • You anchor those emotions to your brand and what emotions you radiate thorough your marketing materials?
Now imagine you are in a black void.

On a large wall in front of you, there are little ping pong balls vibrating at high rates of speed. There are people there fixated all of their energy on the ping pong balls, and they don't take their energy off of it. They are like zombies that are so fixated on the next quick fix and social media, its almost impossible to get anyone's attention nowadays.
  • These people represent the market.
  • The ping pong balls represent all the things that capture their attention/energy throughout the day.
In this black void, how do you break their attention free from what they are focused on so their eyes are drawn towards you?

You have to emotionally/energetically stand out from everything else in their environment. You have to have your energy be more powerful than everything else.

So you light off a firework and it makes a loud boom!

Now, you have 4 seconds to hook their attention, and drawn them in - and you have to be more entertaining and emotionally engaging than anything else they can quickly go back to doing.

How do you do this?

Your brand has to radiate the emotions they want to feel and move towards. When you radiate it so bright, that people are magnetically drawn to you.

Think of them like little ghosts floating towards your brand, because your brand is a magnet, and the get sucked in, in a trance-like state.

You know that old saying "People buy with emotions, and not with logic." Sell the benefits, and not the features.

All too often, I heard this and I thought I understood it.

But they were just words on paper. I would describe the benefits. But I wouldn't describe the benefits in a way that actually brought up the emotions in their bodies.

In the same way the procrastination thread moved people to take action (by stimulating actual, intense emotions in their body), it's when you stimulate emotions in people - when they finally begin to move.

The good news.

You don't have to manufacture the emotions.

After 9/11, the United States was filled with a lot of negative emotions that were filling up the bodies. So the government, when they were doing the pre-war propaganda, they took advantage of the existing emotions that were already strong, and channeled these emotions pointing in a specific direction.

They anchored the negative emotions on "the common enemy" (Al Qaeda and Bin Laden).

Relax, it's not a political/war thread...

So in her luxury travel brand, she can anchor all these emotions of not feeling good enough, and anchor them into the "common enemy" - Discount Travel Sites.

So whereas her travel site screams "I made it." and the pictures she puts on Instagram, the travel articles on her blog, etc. all stimulate the emotions of desire and "I made it", she attaches the negative emotions to things she wants her loyal followers to stay away from (Discount Travel Sites).

So when you learn how to control people's emotions, and harness the power of the emotions, this is how you take those old sales sayings of "people buy emotionally so sell the benefits", in to an actual way to actually stimulate, rile up, and direct the emotions in people, and anchor those emotions to specific things.
  1. Find out the positive emotions your market wants to feel/desires and radiate that in your brand (see beer commercial above).
  2. Find out what negative emotions people are feeling (resentment, being ripped off, etc.) and anchor those emotions to what you don't want your customers to do (buy from competitor - the enemy who has done you wrong) You place the blame on them and now you have the "us vs. them" mentality where you are the leader who is here to save them.
How to stimulate emotions

Your mind thinks in pictures and movies
. I do this through metaphors/story telling. When you paint a scene in their mind (their worst fear or their best-case outcome), have them fully live the scene in their minds to the point where they feel as if it's happening now. And then attache the emotions to what you see fit.

If you're selling a coaching offer, you can use the two roads analogy.
  • If you walk down road #1 where you continue to (try to do it on your own) - five years from now, where will things be if you keep doing what you've been doing (procrastinating, etc.)...and build up negative emotions to road #1 where they walk alone.
  • If you walk down road two, what is your dream life. What will your life be like perfectly if everything goes right. March them down to live the story of their best-case scenario and stimulate the emotions...and anchor that as the road that you will help motivate them to walk down if they hire you for your coaching services.
All of a sudden, your services are the things that bring up the emotions they want to feel.

1. What emotions does your market want? Every part of your marketing should radiate and stimulate these types of emotions. Reproduction is built into our DNA and is one of the most powerful emotions. Stimulate that emotion through the ad...and guess what, "Spraying this chemical on your body will get you laid."
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 6.03.03 PM.png
2. What emotions do they hate feeling? Anchor that to what you don't want people to do (or into a common enemy).
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 6.04.48 PM.png

3. Where can you anchor each for your brand?
4. What kind of brand story can you tell (two roads is my example) to help stimulate these emotions in your customers.

When your brand invokes the emotions people want to feel...people will want to be a part of it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.