The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bringing Product/Idea to Market with No Capital...???

Idea threads

Chew_Bear

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 15, 2017
Long Beach CA
New to the Forums. Just a curious guy that has a knack for entrepreneurship and being my own boss. I am always thinking about new ideas for things.

So...Say I have a great product/invention (working model/prototype) that I know will make money and make customers happy in my intended industry/customer base. But...I don't have the Capital to start up my own LLC, business license, store or factory.

So...I decide its better to 'SELL' my product/invention to a major/prominent manufacturer/brand that is already established in the industry.

Therefore...Do I...

A. Sell my product/invention for a 'LUMP SUM' and call it good and move on...???

...Or is it better to...

B. Set up a 'ROYALTY' Contract/Agreement/Program where I get a certain percentage of the sales from every unit of the product sold...for how ever long the product maintains its popularity and/or is requested to be made based upon supply and demand...???

e.g. 50% of sales for 1st year, 25% for the second year, 12% for the 3rd year and so on for how ever long the product maintains shelf life/popularity.

Which option would I stand to make the most money...?

I take it if you have a product that is really worth while and you think its popularity is going to stay for a long time in the intended industry/market...Would the Royalty option make more sense for making the most money...?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
If you don't invest in yourself, why should a company? Maybe its time to put together a business plan and start working for your money.

Any idea you've had, I guarantee someone else has already had that idea and maybe even followed on from it. The idea isn't what determines success, the execution is.

Facebook wasn't a new idea, it was just executed better than anything else.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
You are worrying about the steps that are far away from your next step.

Always know where is your destination and next step is, steps in between can be figured out later.Think over about what your next step not the 50th step.Play the game step by step like the CHESS.

Remember, no one care about your invention or anything unless it solves there problems they have.

Also,"Not so great" idea executed is better than the zero executed idea that no one have ever thought.

I bet your next step is acquiring knoweledge and applying them at the same time.Before you go on doing anything else, go through following threads.

On top of that, read the millionaire fastlane book.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Which option would I stand to make the most money...?
Each method is likely to earn you roughly the same amount of money...none.

If you have no capital, then you aren't likely to patent your concept. As soon as you show it to a likely buyer, without the threat of patent protection, they will copy it and run to market.

If you manage to arrange a royalty payment, they will likely change the product to escape your original design constraints and run to market.

Either way, the risks are great. There is a chance that your first/only meeting will be with a noble and honorable business person that won't cheat you, but the odds of that are slim. Obviously my suggestion is to start making your own product!

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
There is no shortage of good ideas out there. The difference between an ideal and a product or business is the process in between; prototyping, validation, refining, marketing, selling etc. Unless you have a protected validated idea the value to third party might not be great. I suggest you work on the business model to determine how much cash you will need to get things moving and what the likely profits will be. If you genuinely have zero money then you will need an outside investor- start local with friend and family and build from there. The business plan should be a convincing proposition.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.