The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Brainstorming - What should I try?

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi all,

I think I need to pivot and come up with a new Master Plan.
It feels like my 2019 goals and the ideas in my progress thread were doomed from the beginning.
My problem is that I am currently running beyond capacity and burning out simply by performing a regular job.

I did okay for a few months and could work on a side project, then things got really bad (again) and I am back at the point where I cannot do anything after work.
Now I am convinced that I need to fix some unidentified health issues before I can work on anything else.

I need the full weekend to recover after a work week.
I tried a not very strict low carb diet for a while ... then stopped because I did not think it helped. The long term decline makes me reconsider this.
I managed to keep up a very light home workout (around 20 minutes in the morning), gained around 6kg (good ... want to gain more) ... but now I struggle maintaining the weight. Don't have the energy to keep up the changes to my diet.

I want to come up with
a) experiments around metrics that help with clarity - I want to pinpoint where my problems lie
b) a 4 pronged training program (physical, mental, emotional and social) and
c) an easy to follow dietary plan

What would you incorporate into a training program?
What metrics would you prioritize when it comes to energy issues?
Can you think of any other things worth looking into?

Am tempted to add "NO F*C*ING DOCTORS" ... :-/

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
My problem is that I am currently running beyond capacity and burning out simply by performing a regular job.

If you are burning out just doing your job then adding a four prong training program is not going to help, it will only increase your fatugue. And it also gives you less time and energy to build a fastlane future.

Prioity one is your health. If you have unidentified health issues then you are a fool if you don’t seek medical advice. Do that first then once you know what’s wrong you have something concrete you can build from. At the moment sticking your head in the sand and avoiding getting to the root of the problem is the worst possible thing you can do.

That’s coming from someone who’s whole productive year has gone out the window and is currently getting over an opperation I had less than 4 weeks ago.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Spending 30 minutes in the morning working on your productocracy might boost your energy. Do this before you go to work.

You would know that no matter what crap they throw at you at work, that you are at least 30 minutes closer to freedom.

Don't give them your best energy. Give it to your business.

Wake up 30 minutes earlier. Go to bed 30 minutes earlier.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Like @Rawseed mentioned, have you tried to switch up your routine such that you're going to work after you've worked on your side hustle?

What is your work schedule like?

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
Hi all,

I think I need to pivot and come up with a new Master Plan.
It feels like my 2019 goals and the ideas in my progress thread were doomed from the beginning.

I did okay for a few months and could work on a side project, then things got really bad (again) and I am back at the point where I cannot do anything after work.
Now I am convinced that I need to fix some unidentified health issues before I can work on anything else.

I need the full weekend to recover after a work week.
I tried a not very strict low carb diet for a while ... then stopped because I did not think it helped. The long term decline makes me reconsider this.
I managed to keep up a very light home workout (around 20 minutes in the morning), gained around 6kg (good ... want to gain more) ... but now I struggle maintaining the weight. Don't have the energy to keep up the changes to my diet.

I want to come up with
a) experiments around metrics that help with clarity - I want to pinpoint where my problems lie
b) a 4 pronged training program (physical, mental, emotional and social) and
c) an easy to follow dietary plan

What would you incorporate into a training program?
What metrics would you prioritize when it comes to energy issues?
Can you think of any other things worth looking into?

Am tempted to add "NO F*C*ING DOCTORS" ... :-/

Cheers!
I am writing a diet/health book. I have some great ideas that I have perfected over many years. I'm not quite ready to reveal everything here as I've applied for a trademark on the terminology. Would you like to be a guinea pig and try my ideas at no charge? Maybe you would let me use your story as a success story on my website. It's easier than you think, once you know the secrets. If it's allowed here we could exchange email addresses to maintain confidentiality. I don't want to break any rules...

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
If you are burning out just doing your job then adding a four prong training program is not going to help, it will only increase your fatugue. And it also gives you less time and energy to build a fastlane future.

Prioity one is your health. If you have unidentified health issues then you are a fool if you don’t seek medical advice. Do that first then once you know what’s wrong you have something concrete you can build from. At the moment sticking your head in the sand and avoiding getting to the root of the problem is the worst possible thing you can do.

That’s coming from someone who’s whole productive year has gone out the window and is currently getting over an opperation I had less than 4 weeks ago.

Thank you for the encouraging words. Productive year gone out the window? Have you written about that? Hope things are looking up.

For most people getting an appointment is not a big deal - but for me it is like adding another job search on top of my ongoing job search.
What I already know is that there is nothing obviously wrong that doctors would find right away. Then ... is it a physical issue? Psychological?
I just know I would sign up for an endless Odyssey, and when such a process is ongoing, it feels like 30% of my mind is occupied by that process at all times.
Just having to try to describe the issue in real time has the potential to bring me to the brink of a breakdown.

Sounds wrong on many levels, but I think I need to stabilize before I can take on "getting checked out".
Plus, what if there is some mental issue with hidden anxieties and doctors identify it as the root cause? What could a doctor do? I went through psychotherapy before an it was just laughable.
Maybe I am too pessimistic there, but I think a Tim Ferriss style evaluation and a homebrew behavior therapy is more promising.
Then again, when I get to metrics then blood tests are probably essential ... right?

Oh well, that is mostly a braindump - not a decision. I will definitely spend some more time considering that option.

Spending 30 minutes in the morning working on your productocracy might boost your energy. Do this before you go to work.

You would know that no matter what crap they throw at you at work, that you are at least 30 minutes closer to freedom.

Don't give them your best energy. Give it to your business.

Wake up 30 minutes earlier. Go to bed 30 minutes earlier.

I have experimented with waking up earlier after I read The Miracle Morning, and it really messed with me.
My current routine seems to be a goldilocks zone: sleep from 10pm until 6am.
I am still able to work out in the morning after at least 6 months, so something is working. In the past, working out went okay for maybe two months and then it would take me 45 minutes to get out of bed - completely unable to do anything physically challenging.

Here's the thing with working on a project: part of my pivot to tackling the most basic issues first, is that I am unable to come up with a project that will not take 10 people 5 years to implement. Nothing I do in those 30 minutes would register (on a subconscious level) as progress towards freedom.
And to launch a product I need skills, connections and resilience that I don't have.

Also, if I spend my energy earlier in the day and don't have enough energy left over at work, then I need to sleep as soon as I get home. Not a choice, I just pass out. And that messes up the whole equation, again.
But I'll definitely juggle with those elements. Maybe writing (books or blogging plus Twitter marketing) is the better way to start the day. I can try to work out after work. Thanks!

Like @Rawseed mentioned, have you tried to switch up your routine such that you're going to work after you've worked on your side hustle?

See above ... I don't have much wiggle room there. My workout would have to go ... and I think I need to stop beating myself up about not having the right Master Plan in place.
It feels like I have been kidding myself into thinking that was ever working on a business.

I am writing a diet/health book. I have some great ideas that I have perfected over many years. I'm not quite ready to reveal everything here as I've applied for a trademark on the terminology. Would you like to be a guinea pig and try my ideas at no charge? Maybe you would let me use your story as a success story on my website. It's easier than you think, once you know the secrets. If it's allowed here we could exchange email addresses to maintain confidentiality. I don't want to break any rules...

Sure, I would like to hear more. I just fear we will get to a point where it will be hard for me to apply certain advice ... and it will sound like stupid excuses. One example ... as I wrote in the original post, at some point I could not keep up changes to my diet. We are talking about a very simple recipe - Bananas, Quark (the dairy product), Cream ... some sugar and a stick blender. Right now that is too much trouble.

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
Thank you for the encouraging words. Productive year gone out the window? Have you written about that? Hope things are looking up.

For most people getting an appointment is not a big deal - but for me it is like adding another job search on top of my ongoing job search.
What I already know is that there is nothing obviously wrong that doctors would find right away. Then ... is it a physical issue? Psychological?
I just know I would sign up for an endless Odyssey, and when such a process is ongoing, it feels like 30% of my mind is occupied by that process at all times.
Just having to try to describe the issue in real time has the potential to bring me to the brink of a breakdown.

Sounds wrong on many levels, but I think I need to stabilize before I can take on "getting checked out".
Plus, what if there is some mental issue with hidden anxieties and doctors identify it as the root cause? What could a doctor do? I went through psychotherapy before an it was just laughable.
Maybe I am too pessimistic there, but I think a Tim Ferriss style evaluation and a homebrew behavior therapy is more promising.
Then again, when I get to metrics then blood tests are probably essential ... right?

Oh well, that is mostly a braindump - not a decision. I will definitely spend some more time considering that option.

I have experimented with waking up earlier after I read The Miracle Morning, and it really messed with me.
My current routine seems to be a goldilocks zone: sleep from 10pm until 6am.
I am still able to work out in the morning after at least 6 months, so something is working. In the past, working out went okay for maybe two months and then it would take me 45 minutes to get out of bed - completely unable to do anything physically challenging.

Here's the thing with working on a project: part of my pivot to tackling the most basic issues first, is that I am unable to come up with a project that will not take 10 people 5 years to implement. Nothing I do in those 30 minutes would register (on a subconscious level) as progress towards freedom.
And to launch a product I need skills, connections and resilience that I don't have.

Also, if I spend my energy earlier in the day and don't have enough energy left over at work, then I need to sleep as soon as I get home. Not a choice, I just pass out. And that messes up the whole equation, again.
But I'll definitely juggle with those elements. Maybe writing (books or blogging plus Twitter marketing) is the better way to start the day. I can try to work out after work. Thanks!

See above ... I don't have much wiggle room there. My workout would have to go ... and I think I need to stop beating myself up about not having the right Master Plan in place.
It feels like I have been kidding myself into thinking that was ever working on a business.

Sure, I would like to hear more. I just fear we will get to a point where it will be hard for me to apply certain advice ... and it will sound like stupid excuses. One example ... as I wrote in the original post, at some point I could not keep up changes to my diet. We are talking about a very simple recipe - Bananas, Quark (the dairy product), Cream ... some sugar and a stick blender. Right now that is too much trouble.
Hi Andreas, maybe you need some time to figure out your capacity/schedule. Let me know if you get to the point where you have room to focus on your health. Any change will require some commitment in terms of time and energy, especially upfront. Once you make the commitment your life can change in many ways for the better.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany

Hi Andreas, maybe you need some time to figure out your capacity/schedule. Let me know if you get to the point where you have room to focus on your health. Any change will require some commitment in terms of time and energy, especially upfront. Once you make the commitment your life can change in many ways for the better.

Right! Schedule! I forgot to write the details of the schedule ...:

Currently I set the alarm: 06:05 am
Then I usually manage to get out of bed between 6:15 and 6:25
I work out until 6:45 (bodyweight, usually one set every 5 minutes, around 10 repetitions - on some days I add kettlebell swings)
... and shower.

Around 7:25 I am done with the rest of the morning routine and leave for work.
I start work around 8:00 ... lunchbreak often from 11:45 am - 1:30 pm, then I am done around 6:00 pm.
Often I chat with colleagues before I leave and rarely get home before 7pm, even though it is only a 15 minute drive.

PJ-Mallen: okay, I will reach out once the dust settles and I can think straight again :)

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Based on your schedule, I think you have some capacity to wake up earlier. If you're getting home at 7PM, you have time to make yourself dinner, relax a bit, and be asleep between 9-9:30. If you get 8 hours of sleep, you can be up at 5-5:30am, giving you an extra 30-60 minutes over your current schedule.

It's not fun, but it allows you to continue to make progress on your goals. How much are they worth to you?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.