The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bootstrapping ideas for Rural areas?

Idea threads

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I was wondering if anyone has seen any solid ideas for bootstrapping in rural areas? I've noticed that location makes a difference in this regards. Are we talking strictly internet? Town of about 16k ridiculously cheap folks; makeup of local economy is mainly low pay retail etc. quite a bit of healthcare, education, and has some manufacturing base. I thought about selling liquidated merch. or something to that nature. Not much to go on on craigslist etc. My side hustle is not doing well so any thoughts? thanks to all

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Why not try to market local information? Develop a website that is the authority of everything in your area. Just a suggestion.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Are you limited to selling something to that limited local market? You're right, there isn't much beyond the things you mentioned. Perhaps an online business service or product you can sell on amazon etc? Utilize the cheap infrastructure of your rural area to sell elsewhere. Rather than trying to sell something there. The growing demo of rural areas might be the elderly. Elderly care, handyman stuff, aging in place(age proofing their homes) etc...

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Are you limited to selling something to that limited local market?

No...but I am unable to travel all over the country to pursue something. The businesses I work on never sell here for that reason; RE wholesaling is difficult here also. I thought I would post this as it has become a challenge for me and if I can figure this out it may help many others to get started and out of rural areas in an entrepreneurial fashion. An idea I am working on currently is buying up distressed inventory etc. to sell elsewhere; there's always something going out of business here. I'm leaning on a version of both of your points; possibly buy local and sell elsewhere. Im networking so ill keep you posted on what deals I can scratch up; got a lead on a distressed parts store so if they liquidate ill get some cheap inventory. Any other tips please keep em coming. Thanks

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Why not try to market local information? Develop a website that is the authority of everything in your area. Just a suggestion.

I do talk to many self employed and advertising is a problem here...they all go to the newspaper but really don't have anyone working deals for them...maybe I could develop a bird dog network?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I do talk to many self employed and advertising is a problem here...they all go to the newspaper but really don't have anyone working deals for them...maybe I could develop a bird dog network?

I live in a rural area between a town of 20k and another town of 30k. I get some idea of your limitations because I have them too. However, I think you need to start seeing what you do have and the possibilities. If there are small business owners, stores open, restaurants open, and new cars on the road then someone is making money.

Have you even taken a look at my website on my signature line?

Another idea....I shared this with Andres a while back. I was in the car wash the other day and waiting for the truck to get finished. I saw the business had a new flat screen TV on the wall. It was flashing advertising. I found a label at the bottom of the monitor, some advertising service. The car wash had leased space in their lobby for the monitor. The ad agency had dug up advertisers and loaded the monitor with rotating ads. This can all be done with a USB thumb drive. They were doing still ads but videos could be incorporated also. So the ad dudes made some money and then leased spaces to put their monitors.

They also had a URL on the monitors so a new business owner could contact them to get on the rotation. I thought this was cool bootstrapping stuff.

Good luck

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I think you need to start seeing what you do have and the possibilities.

I agree...I don't need any cheese with my wine lol (damn I hate that saying) it is simply a challenge; it takes major hustle. I figure I will be a model for bootstrapper's everywhere if I can bootstrap in this town. I do have some advantages though; my area, how ever cheap folks are, still has a certain business mix to it...many small towns have lost about all manufacturing etc. Mine still has an industrial park at least.

Have you even taken a look at my website on my signature line?

Honestly I have not seen it on yours before...I click on them when I see them.

kershawm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 4, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Well, there is one great advantage to living in your area....it's really easy to get to the top of the search engine results. What is it that people in rural areas go crazy about?......since I am originally from a rural area in Southern Illinois, I have an idea what people go crazy about. Think.......Harley Davidsons, Car Parts, Truck Parts, 4x4's, hunting, fishing, beer, whiskey......although I don't know how this will satisfy the requirement for scale since there is a limited number of potential customers. You might want to go for something with high margins. I'm not sure what that may be other than selling things to businesses, possibly a monthly service.

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
I guess you need to focus on the basics. Food, Personal Care, Medical supply... something that everybody needs everyday!

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Real estate:

Get a job managing unit/s for others?

Become part of the r.e. community.

'Luck' into a positive cash flow owner-financed r.e. purchase, particularly one that you know you can [legally] supersize someday... ie, something like turn a single-family home into a duplex, or turn a 2-bedroom into a 3-bedroom.

Mobile homes:

If they are present in your area, learn more. People often want them moved off property. Learn the ins and out, legalities, and the how-to of moving and repair. Build a rental empire.

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
I visited a local town of about 3.5k people nearby my city for the weekend. I had a chat to a few local business owners, and I found that this was a great way to discover the local needs.

Don't just walk up and say "hey, whats your problem?" - you have to be smooth. Say what you do, where you're from, then ask them about what they do now and why they do it. - Then ask about the 'hardest thing' or 'biggest challenges' they are facing.

Slightly unrelated, but in that town there was an Korean working holiday visa temporary worker who worked full-time on a farm, rented out 10 houses (5 in that town, 5 in another farming town) and owned and operated the local Korean ethnic market. That requires hard-work, but surely he was loaded earning upwards of 2k per week compared to his own country where the average wage is about 15-20k per year...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.