The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bookstore Inventory

G

Guest-5ty5s4

At risk of sounding like an idiot, I have a question for anyone familiar with selling books.

How do book sellers source their inventory?

Sites like Thriftbooks, sellers on Amazon, sellers on Ebay... So many businesses sell used books. Where do they come from and how do they get them?

Is there an efficient process for acquiring books that will sell, or are people literally seeking out and haggling over every $3 book they want to resell? That doesn't seem effective.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Direct from publishers?

Or I guess you're talking about used books? I used to buy tons of book from the public library for like $1 per bag full. I'm sure there are other opportunities to buy books in lots like that, hit up thrift stores and other places that take donations. Otherwise, I think the game is collecting books, buying used books that you know have a higher resale value.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Seen one guy buying and selling handbooks - he basically had a booth on which he bought it from people and next booth in which he was selling them. Hired few people to remove dog ears and that was it.

Charly Brown

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 22, 2017
Mexico
Hello Mr. The Chosen One
So what you are saying is that you would like to re-sell books?
Do you have a store or would like to start one?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Direct from publishers?

Or I guess you're talking about used books? I used to buy tons of book from the public library for like $1 per bag full. I'm sure there are other opportunities to buy books in lots like that, hit up thrift stores and other places that take donations. Otherwise, I think the game is collecting books, buying used books that you know have a higher resale value.

This sounds about right. Direct from publishers probably once you've grown to a sizable volume, but before that, having a consistent buying process from the local library (or surrounding towns libraries) would work. Or like a pawn shop - buy the books people bring to your store for cheap, mark them up for more.

Hello Mr. The Chosen One
So what you are saying is that you would like to re-sell books?
Do you have a store or would like to start one?

I don't, but I've sold things on Amazon, and on eBay, (never a lot of sales, maybe a few hundred bucks a month) and books are definitely the best category IMO. Sourcing has always been the biggest drawback / hurdle, so trying to feel out how others do this on a technical level.

A continuous stream of books would be necessary to have a continuous stream of sales...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.