• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Book Progress

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Sidney_781, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Sidney_781

Sidney_781 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    Hi there! As I have mentioned in other threads, I've been working on a non-fiction book. I am about 70% done at this point.

I have used this thread to keep myself accountable, and hopefully have others hold me accountable. To make sure I complete those things which I have told myself I will.

April 19: wrote 832 words
    April 20: wrote 3500 words

Last edited: May 23, 2019 at 10:18 AM
  2. NMdad

NMdad Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,728
    OK--we've got your back. Now, keep showing how you're executing. You've built a 2-day streak. Today's 4/21, and it's a holiday for lots of folks--easy to make excuses. Sit down and write anyway. Do. The. Work.

You can do it!

3. Wiggly0607

Wiggly0607 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $644
    Great idea. Have you read Pressfield's "The War of Art" yet? Or "Do the Work?"

If not, stop what you are doing, and read them, in that order. Seriously. I wrote a non-fiction book proposal in one day, including the sample chapter, after reading them.

4. Private Witt

Private Witt Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,538
    Pressfield is the man!

Sidney_781 and Wiggly0607 like this.
  5. Sidney_781

Sidney_781 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    Guess I’ll be reading this starting today! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private Witt and Wiggly0607 like this.
  6. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    You’re right. Today was a tough day. At around 9:30 after a long Easter Day of egg hunting and family time, I sat down to write. Only got out 562 words. My goal today is back to 3000! I believe MTF said that was his daily goal at one point.

Private Witt and NMdad like this.
  7. NMdad

NMdad Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,728
    Excellent! You did it even though you were tired & it would've been easier not to do it. Doing the hard thing when you'd rather not will build mental toughness so you keep at it.

Next, you might want to assess whether 3,000 words a day is realistic. Some folks write really fast, while others write slower. I'd caution against setting a goal that you won't consistently reach, since it can be demotivating. Maybe set a smaller goal that a little stretch, but aim for consistency--every single day, no matter if there's a flaming tornado outside.

PiperPuff, Eisenstein and Sidney_781 like this.
  8. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    You’re right. 3000 might be a lot. But I’ll try to get them done as best as I can.

Just did about 400 words in the car after dropping off the kids at school. Kept my eyes on the road though!

Last edited: May 22, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    Vigilante likes this.
  9. Wiggly0607

Rep Bank:
    $644
    You're welcome. They are both quick reads, btw!

Sidney_781 likes this.
  10. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 There is no opportunity in comfort Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,145
    Good for you for holding yourself accountable. The struggle is definitely real juggling the kiddos and your goals. Just keep marking those X’s off through your calendar!

Check out this thread:
    The 80/20 Principle Library

Really good recommendations on maximizing productivity. I just finished reading The One Thing and it has helped tremendously in maximizing my time spent when I’m not busy playing dinosaurs or changing diapers.

Sidney_781 likes this.
  11. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    thanks my friend!

MTEE1985 likes this.
  12. Dark Water

Dark Water Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $182
    I agree with NMdad in that having a consistent goal you can reach everyday will be a big driving factor in getting this done sooner, with quality. It seems you picked 3,000 because MTF may have had 3,000 at one point, but that doesn't take into account all the different variables between you two, like amount of time you can write each day or experience.

I'd start with hitting 1,000 words per day consistently every single day, and then try to have x amount of days per week you can hit 3000+. Or if you're insistent with yourself that you want 3,000, see what you differently on the days where you actually do hit 3k+, like on the 20th.

NMdad and Sidney_781 like this.
  13. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929

Thank you!!

14. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    Today: 1133 words written

Bedtime reading will be “The War of Art” by Pressfield.

Wiggly0607, NMdad and MTEE1985 like this.
  15. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,701
    Admin Post
    Do you mind sharing the topic? If not, no worries!

16. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $82,693
    That was my daily goal at one point, but I eventually burned out as it's a LOT of words to write consistently for months. For a few days or a couple of weeks it's fine, but I think that a more sustainable pace that you can maintain over the long term is around 1,000-1,500 a day. Also, better to write 500 solid words than 3,000 words of junk, so be cautious of that.

deniz, Readerly, NMdad and 2 others like this.
  17. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    No problem. The topic is relationships . The existing books out there are either outdated, not comprehensive, or both.

Sent from Microsoft Surface using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 23, 2019 at 10:21 AM
  18. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    Today so far: 1292 words... hopefully get some more done this evening!

Last edited: May 23, 2019 at 8:51 AM
  19. Wiggly0607

Rep Bank:
    $644
    Keep going! You got this

Sidney_781 likes this.
  20. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $29,653
    I am in the same situation. Writing a novel is a lot of work. I believe it's just a matter of what you're writing about and what your bigger picture of your novel is about. How much research, work you put into it, depends on the outcome of it's success.

In my own experience, my agenda was living the experience of my Character first as the feminine, and when I started this forum I had it written out and finished, but now in 2019, it's re-writing the whole thing, because there was a whole process I had to go through first to write a best seller. I'm personally glad I didn't publish it back then, because I didn't have the whole picture, knowledge, insight, wisdom, research, and education to put into my characters, dialogue, action, plot, and focused enough where I wanted it to be.

While some would say it doesn't take that long to write a novel, some of the best novels in the world took awhile to build and write, versus in a few months. And I have more than enough to write a series.

I would take a look at what your objective is? What is the message? What is it you hope to achieve with it? I'm not sure if it's always your slacking, but in some cases I write out a lot of poetry, insight, wisdom, and knowledge, and different stuff comes to me to put in the novel at different times, rather than try to create everything in a few months and be a speed writer. There are different types of writers and we all write differently.

There are literary writers and pop fiction writers, and those who are screen writers, poets, and write in hopes of making it in movies. Some love short-stories and hope to write for the Paris Review.

Writing is a big ocean and it is figuring out where your best at writing.

Having someone hold you accountable is important, and this is a good place. It gives motivation to stay on task and follow through.

I think it does get overwhelming for me. I'm a prolific writer. I can write all day long like nothing, but it doesn't mean it's always good material. And of course it piles up for editing and publishing.

Hopefully you're not as prolific, because this can be one issue. And also having to many ideas.

Protecting your writing is a necessity since I have had stuff ripped off.

One place that might also help you on your way and gain an following is Patreon.
    Best way for artists and creators to get sustainable income and connect with fans | Patreon
    I see some people being very successful off this sight with their creative projects and content which I may use myself in a few months for various projects.

If you are engaging with your audience they allow you to know what they like, what they want, and building a fan base. This keeps you accountable because you're inviting them into your writing and creativity and getting your work out there by word of mouth.

I believe 50 shades of grey got out there by word of mouth. There are various ways writers get noticed, but you might have to push it yourself, and get on camera even and speak to your audience.

The writing world is not different than any other area of entertainment. You have to work hard, practice makes perfect, and the more you write, the better you get.

With children, I imagine it is writing when they're at school, away with friends or other family, or after they go to bed. I remember when I went to college, I just took things and worked on stuff even in waiting rooms at appointments, breaks of work, or waiting out in the car picking up my child.

It's using you what free time you have and enjoying the moment.

VPchris, Private Witt and Sidney_781 like this.
  21. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    Thanks! Appreciate everyone who is staying on top of me during this!

Valhalla and Wiggly0607 like this.
  22. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    Not a great day. I put off writing until this afternoon and got super busy with house stuff. Will make it up for it tomorrow.

MTEE1985 likes this.
  23. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,532
    Sounds like you're making great progress...congrats!

I focus on hitting 1000 edited words per day. This allows me to write a typical book in 3 months, including time for my editor to complete his pass.

Something that has worked well for me is to figure out what part of the day I write best, and stick to trying to be productive only during that time. I've found that if I try to write outside of my productive hours, the output I get for the mental energy I spend just isn't worth it.

Also, if you're writing non-fiction (sounds like you are), make sure you have a VERY thorough outline. This allows me to jump around and to write about whatever topic I'm interested in that day. When you don't have a good outline, jumping around can make for a disorganized manuscript, but if the outline is solid, it shouldn't matter (for the most part) what order you complete things.

24. Wiggly0607

Rep Bank:
    $644
    Maybe focus less on word count and more on just writing. When I write, I go as long as I can. Sometimes it is 20 mins. Sometimes it is two hours.

Just start. That's always a victory.

Sidney_781 likes this.
  25. Sidney_781

Rep Bank:
    $1,929
    This is fantastic advice. Thank you! I actually was using Microsoft Word for a while and switched to Scrivener which has helped me a ton in outlining.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.