• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB/DIGITAL Blog Domains

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by Merkin Man, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Merkin Man

Merkin Man Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $148
    I want to start a blog, preferably for the least amount of money (none?) possible. It will be my first real venture into anything internet-based, so while success is my ultimate goal, the learning experience matters a lot too.

When I go to blogger to set up my own blog it wants my domain to be www.myblog'sname.blogspot.com.

I don't want that - I want it to be like Lyved, or Kimber's or Bio's blog, where the blog name is www.nameofblog.com.

How is this done?

Do you have to pay to get a setup like this? If so, do you use blogger, or another site?

I am extremely novice to this world, so I apologize in advance if this sounds like a question I should already know the answer to! :coolgleamA:

2. kimberland

kimberland Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $128
    First you have to buy a domain name.
    I use GoDaddy ($10 a year)
    but there's an entire thread on the best registrar.

Then you need to sub in your domain name.
    The instructions on how to do this with Blogger are here
    http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=55373

Many authors use blogger as an inexpensive way to host their blogs.
    When their readership and knowledge grows,
    they then move to a platform like Wordpress (.org not .com).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Merkin Man likes this.
  3. offroadaz

offroadaz New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $34

I use godaddy.com to register the domain name and then host it from one of my web servers. I pay $10 per month for web hosting and the domain is $9.99 to register

I use Word Press as my blogging software. What type of site do you want to create? If you're interested I might have some extra room on a server and you can host your site there for free if you'd like.

Merkin Man likes this.
  4. Merkin Man

Merkin Man Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $148
    Thanks to both of you...Rep +++ to each.

Is Blogger more of a site for beginners, then? Also, is there a lot involved down the road if I decide to switch to wordpress or one like it?

Thanks again...

:thankyousign:

5. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,467
    Three steps here:

1) Buy the domain. This is covered above, so I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say that you can get a domain for about $10/year from a place like GoDaddy.

2) Host the domain. You need an actual physical server that is attached to the Internet to be able to store your pages and handle the traffic you get. Your choices here are either to buy a server, set it up, and host the domain on it, or pay another company (a hosting provider) to host your domain on their servers (which is likely what you'll want to do). There are hundreds of companies that will do this sort of hosting, including GoDaddy, Dreamhost (the one I use), and AptosHosting (a sponsor on this board).

3) Create your content. There are several ways to create webpages:

- You can create pages from scratch using common programming tools. If you're new to this whole Internet thing, you probably don't want to go this route.

- If you just want a blog, there are a couple ways to get one. You can register with blogger and have blogger point to your hosted domain. Or you can install another blogging package (like Wordpress, which is very popular) on the server where your domain is hosted. Many hosting companies will help you install Wordpress or another blog package (or may have it installed already) and the advantage to that over blogger is that you have much more control over look, feel, and functionality if you can figure out the basic customization techniques.

- You can hire someone to create your site for you. Some hosting companies have developers, or you can find them online at sites like elance.com. Getting a site built will likely cost anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the complexity and design.

Hope that helps...

Merkin Man likes this.
  6. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,467
    Blogger is a bit more "turnkey" than Wordpress, and is probably the right place to start if you want to launch something quickly. You can do the basic customization of Wordpress without much experience/knowledge, but any major customization requires some knowledge of programming (or at least installing applications).

And yes, you can switch from Blogger to Wordpress. All the blog packages store your content in a database; as long as Wordpress can access the database that Blogger is using (both would likely be on the server where your domain is hosted), it can import all the Blogger content pretty easily.

7. kimberland

kimberland Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $128
    If I was starting to blog,
    I'd use Blogger (with my own domain name).
    'Course I'm no tech star by any stretch of the imagination.

Blogger has html options so you can do some of the more creative stuff.
    However, once the blog got big
    (and could easily pay back the $10 a month invested in hosting),
    I'd likely switch to Wordpress.

Exception:
    If my site was adult in nature
    (nudity, cussing, etc),
    I'd host my own immediately.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.