The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Black friday

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
My friend is going to best buy tomorrow at 3 am to wait for them to open :rofl:. Are the sales that great? I wouldn't wait that long just for them to open.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
I dont know much about America's Black friday sales event but I know Canada's Boxing Day sales at Future shop/ Best Buy are not that great....

Just a society conditioned to consume....

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I'm considering staying up until Old Navy opens at 3am here... Looks like I'll save about $50 bucks on the kids clothes if I stock up on some of the deals they have going tonight.

-Hakrjak

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Don't quote me on this but it seems like some tv that usually sells for around 1500 or 1600$ is selling for 600$ish at Walmart. Granted I'm sure for their sake they didn't intentionally stock up on a bunch of them. So if you find the right thing, and are lucky in getting to it first then there are some good deals.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Little known fact:

Last year, just 2 months after the worst financial scare we've seen in 80 years, sales on black Friday were:

1. Higher
2. Lower
3. The Same

from the year before (when the economy was expanding, and consumer confidence was high).

Answer: 1. Higher.

But why didn't the media report this-- shout this from the rooftops?

-Russ H.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Russ-

I think there is a lot of optimism entering this weekend so the Black Friday sales should be yet even higher than last year's. We hear more news reports regarding the overall quarter or annual efforts instead of just one day's activity.

Come this Monday, Black Friday 2009 is old news.

Among my group of peers we've concluded that retail sales have been spiking during large events and holidays such as Black Friday and New Years, Pres Day, Mem Day, 4th July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, etc.... and then the non-Federal holidays i.e. Columbus Day, MLK Day (which is a Fed day now), among others.

So while the major holidays have experienced phenemonal sales, it seems retail activity slows down excruciatingly so during the non-holiday periods despite heavy promoting.

another note- about 10 years ago I fell asleep at 6pm thanksgiving night (ate too much turkey, lol) and woke up bored at 2am so I hopped in the car, ran to best buy only to wait in line for 4 hours in freezing cold weather. I'll never do it again because there are so many available options for purchasing products both in brick & mortar and online that makes it easy to compare pricing these days.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Russ-

Among my group of peers we've concluded that retail sales have been spiking during large events and holidays such as Black Friday and New Years, Pres Day, Mem Day, 4th July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, etc.... and then the non-Federal holidays i.e. Columbus Day, MLK Day (which is a Fed day now), among others.

During a break one day I was reading in the newspaper that last year sales for Christmas were down 3% last year (I think compared to the year before?). And are projected to be up by 1% this year. Now, don't quote me on the number because I had only a few minutes so I had to scan the article but surely they don't spark during all holidays. Of course sales will increase but a dozen days out of the year will hardly set you in the green.

Am I just missing something\misinformed? If so correct me because I'm certainly trying to learn.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Icy-

Both points are right. Last year's sales were down, and black Friday was up.

My point was-- I listened carefully on Saturday (day after black Friday) to see just *how bad* things were-- and was shocked when the CC companies announced that sales were higher! (not a lot higher, but still--- does everyone remember how scared the world was a year ago today?).

But having a black Friday that was *up* didn't fit w/the doom and gloom message the media was sending out-- it wasn't part of their message.

So it got downplayed. Or didn't get mentioned AT ALL.

Consumer confidence is a fickle thing. It's based on emotion, in large part. I'd like to think that, if the media had shouted "BLACK FRIDAY SALES UP!!!" last year, that perhaps overall sales would not have been down 3% (or whatever they were, I do think they were down).

Another thing hits me, though-- if we were in such a tailspin, we should have been seeing sales drop by double digits-- like 20% off the previous year. That didn't happen.

Again, the media could have done a LOT to improve or feed consumer confidence-- but they didn't.

On another topic, Icy, Black Friday is critical to many retailers. Some say it's called BLACK because, for many retailers, it's the day that they "cross over into the black" on their balance sheets-- they sell so much, and make so much profit-- that they finally start to show a profit overall for the entire year.

More info here.

So while one day may not seem that important, it can really make a difference in your overall "health" for the year, as a business. One of the first retail stores I worked in was Tech HiFi (back in the early 1980s). Their biggest sale of the year was Washington's Birthday (in February). They did it then to help them w/cashflow for the entire year. And it really did-- Tech Hifi stores sold as much in that one day than we did most MONTHS. Sure, we had amazing deals (much like Black Friday). But overall, the company made an enormous profit-- and used it to help fund their entire year.

-Russ H.

PS Randall-- thanks for your thoughts, as always. I agree that sales days have been spiking-- and folks out looking for bargains. Another big factor-- which you mention-- is that online sales each year are bigger and bigger. So while the press may sometimes focus on B&M stores, they need to also account for the billions of $$$ being spent online.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I don't like stores, crowds, and I refuse to wait in line for anything. I hate Black Friday and pretty much stay off the main roads to avoid all the traffic associated with it.

I havn't darkened the door of a Best Buy or shopping mall in over a year, hoping to keep it that way.

Why the heck is it worth it to wake up in the middle of the night and wait in some damn line for 4 hours to save a couple bucks on some crap? Its the 21st century I do most of my shopping online and have UPS bring it to me, sometimes already gift wrapped.

I highly doubt that even on electronic's Best Buys black friday sales are better than say newegg.com's regular prices.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hat-

I don't think a lot of these people go for the bargains.

That's only the reason they give.

The real reason is bragging rights-- to tell someone you did this to save money (or, that it's OK to be a compulsive shopper in a recession, as long as you're saving $5 at 2 am!)

FWIW, there were 3 or more people at our Thanksgiving meal yesterday who were planning on getting up at 2am to be at a store by 3 am.

Bragging rights.

-Russ H.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I've found that recently (last few years), stores seem to have similar sales after Black Friday up through New Years Day - sometimes it's even better than Black Friday. It all depends on how their sales season is going, I would assume.

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
Another forum I am a member of had a member listen to a police scanner during black friday sales in Conneticut... He was mentioning how they had law enforcement on site and reinforcements coming to close the shopping plaza as fights were breaking out outside the toys r us... :coco::coco:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Here's what I was talking about:

2008:

"Sales growth was anemic: Shopper Trak, a firm that follows mall traffic, reported that Black Friday retail sales totaled $10.6 billion, up 3% from a year earlier, compared with 7% growth for the same period in 2007."

2009:

"Sales on Black Friday itself climbed just 0.5 percent from 2008, but the $10.66 billion in sales represented the largest dollar amount ever spent on that day, according to ShopperTrak, a Chicago retail sales tracking firm."

Sounds like the most interesting news was not Black Friday-- but the fact that Sat and Sun were up substantially from last year, AND-- that Cybermonday was up bigtime.

Of course, I say "bigtime", but we're only talking 4,300,000 cyber shoppers PER MINUTE, spending a total of $887,000,000 (yes, almost a billion dollars).

In one day.

For the Thanksgiving holiday (Thursday through Monday), cybershoppers spent $2,600,000,000.00

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.