The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Black Friday: Consumers Will Flock, Producers Will Not

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
So sales have already begun for the hectic day which we refer to as "black Friday". I had a few gift ideas in mind for my girl, so I figured I'd take a quick look. Walmart's sales started at 6pm tonight. As i rolled up to walmart I began to laugh to myself. There was caution tape lining the crosswalks, police enforcement at the doors, parking lots filled to the max, and people everywhere. I entered the store now almost as a social experiment just to observe consumer behavior during such a hectic time of shopping.

This brings us to the topic of time valuation. I saw the lines had to be at least a half hour wait, every single one of them. I knew at that moment I would not purchase anything. Saving a few dollars is not worth the loss of time I would experience by waiting in those lines. Hundreds of people were lined up like drones, at least that's the way I saw it. I proceeded to the back of the store and time valuation was at an all time low. There were lines of people waiting for a product release that weaved through several isles. I can't even begin to estimate how long they would be waiting.

I took a quick look at what I came for, saw less than phenomenal prices, and proceeded to exit and go home. Why would I spend such a long time in line when on any given day i can find bargains on the internet and have them delivered right to me without moving a muscle. This brings us to the topic of entrepreneurial opportunity. Obviously some consumers will be smart enough to shop online. Opportunity. Obviously consumers will flock by the thousands to a retail store for a great sale. Opportunity. "Cyber Monday" brings consumers to the internet market for more holiday shopping. Opportunity.

I believe a respected member on here once said that many of the products, particularly electronics, aren't even the same items on black Friday. They are specifically made to fit the cheaper price tag.

Anyone else have any thoughts of stories about black friday?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Anyone else have any thoughts of stories about black friday?

Thoughts? Yes. I hope me and all my fastlane friends sell all of their merchandise on Black Friday and have to order more.:cheers:

Edit: Should have added #fastlaneproblems LOL

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Aaaaahhhhhhh....Black Friday.......

What a difference a couple of years make. As I was sitting down today, enjoying a delicious Thanksgiving dinner, and now as I'm working at the firehouse, orders have been flowing in all day long. Without a black Friday sale (We decided to let people enjoy their holiday, and wait until cyber Monday for our sale). Today was probably our best single day since our appearance on the DIY Network. Without advertising, sales, tv shows, etc..

My, have times changed. Life is Good. :driving:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Black Friday: Consumers Will Flock, Producers Will Not

Should be...

Black Friday: Consumers Will Flock, Producers Will ROCK.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
What I sell isn't impacted at all by Black Friday, but this is such a cool perspective to see. I hope you guys kill it out there and get lots of liquidity squirreled away. I'm just thankful that I've gotten to the point where I was happy to sleep till 10:00AM today, because I don't watch TV anymore, don't care about the latest i-whatever, and a $300 discount isn't enough to get me out of bed. If I wouldn't trade my time for $300 during the work week, no way am I trading it for $300 at 4AM on the holiday.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Sure, I have a story...probably boring, but I repeated to myself the whole time (including words to my girlfriend) about how badly we are valuing our time; as well as how dumb the whole thing is. Went back to my gf's parents for Thanksgiving....town is small. Not like dirt roads type of small...but population is probably a few thousand, have BK/DQ/TB, and a smaller walmart. After the meal, we went to Walmart at 4:30...all we had to do was go get a wristband for a TV that went on sale at 6pm. Cool, no biggy...we can walk around and see what else there is. This TV wasn't for me, fyi. This was the gf's dad getting a $99 32" for his grandkid.

Anyhow, we get the wristband and check out what else is there. We find Rachel Ray Pans, a whole whopping 12 of them in the middle of a main aisle stacked up against a bazillion cheapo shredders, small blenders, etc. Well, girlfriend decides she wants these for xmas from her dad...so what do we do? We stand there...and wait...and wait...mind you this was about 4:45pm, going on sale at 6pm. Since it's a small town, her dad knew one of the three guys already huddled around this little endcap waiting for the pans in an hour. We chat it up, standing in one damn spot. As time grew closer, it got absurdly crowded. TV was going on sale an aisle over, ipad line close to us, etc. Not to mention, more idiots coming to crowd in for these pans. There's two colors, and so my gf and the other guy already plot who was going to grab what. Two more big dudes show up behind her, so who knows how the hell she will get out. It's like some magical word needed to be announced before hand. I would have just grabbed at five til and left...seriously, who in walmart is going to care? Some 45 yr old mom just slaving away? Get real...so everyone starts grabbing at 6pm, and we get the item easily...funny watching the other ppl trying to tug away the few remains.

Story doesn't end. I just want to get the hell out of the way...and now, apparently there is a tablet on sale at 8pm for another grandkid. We throw in some cheapo shredders/crockpots as gag gifts for the $10 exchange and I book it to jewelry with a cart of stuff to stand out of the way...and there I stand, for the next 2 hrs, staying out of the way. Eventually, my gf's sister/husband come in the store, and I get to guard their cart of cheap priced Russell Stovers and a couple of other items. The gf and her sister/husband wander off to stand in line for a DVD player also at 8...and that's all I do is sit and wait with carts. Watching them announce stuff is on sale at 8pm is just laughable. A herd of cattle just RUN to where the item is from behind the tape, then all rush to get into the checkout line. This is a small store, mind you.

I know this story was lame, as there weren't any cool fights...but it's just dumb and should be abolished. Granted, I took part in it somewhat as I chose to tag along on the ride...but valuing my time was all I could think about while there. Not to mention, I had no cell phone signal in the store! lol Days like that where you go to bed and think about how much of your life you just wasted and accomplished nothing.

EDIT: That video pretty much sums it up...why on God's green Earth would you put a pallet in that little bitty area. There should be a straight line formed at all times...one way in, one way out. Everything counted out by the number in line, then tell everyone there aren't enough for them and to leave the line.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.