The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BizBuySell or LoopNet businesses

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
Anyone have experience buying a pre existing business on one of these websites?

Obviously you have to do proper vetting, I'm skeptical of some of the numbers on the postings for businesses for sale.

I know a lot of people on TFF prefer building something on their own but I'm not opposed to buying a pre existing business to increase cash flow.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Anyone have experience buying a pre existing business on one of these websites?

Obviously you have to do proper vetting, I'm skeptical of some of the numbers on the postings for businesses for sale.

I know a lot of people on TFF prefer building something on their own but I'm not opposed to buying a pre existing business to increase cash flow.

Thoughts?
Do heavy due diligence.
What type of business are you looking to buy? Depending on the type, there may be industry-specific brokers that will give you more confidence in the numbers and process.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Personally, no. That said, I have a 3 clients who acquired via BizBuySell. My sense is a lot of the businesses there are overinflated. The "value buys" don't make it to the website.

Not sure what thoughts you are looking for here. Do your due diligence. Negotiate. Close the deal. Scale a biz.

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
Do heavy due diligence.
What type of business are you looking to buy? Depending on the type, there may be industry-specific brokers that will give you more confidence in the numbers and process.

I have not narrowed down to a specific type of business. Never thought of the broker idea but it makes sense. I'm assuming a broker outside of the ones listed on BizBuySell?

Will be PM'ing you about your accounting services.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
After doing the search dog and pony show a few times, probably the biggest thing I have noticed is that if they are listed on these broker sites, it is too late. They will squeeze every cent out of the buyer. That isn't for me. I like to get a good deal.

Alternatively... Finding a complementary company or buying a strategic partner that ISN'T listed on the market is FAR more likely to be a great deal you can be excited about. Everything is for sale, at the right price and you can get deal crafty.

Honestly... I would rather cold call businesses I would like to own than look at those listings.

Open the dialogue with the intention of finding a win-win arrangement between you and the seller. Something you both can get excited about. If not, it fails, so what. Try again.

Obviously... Once the dialogue is open, do a lot of DD and make sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have not narrowed down to a specific type of business. Never thought of the broker idea but it makes sense. I'm assuming a broker outside of the ones listed on BizBuySell?

Will be PM'ing you about your accounting services.
Yea - for example, if you were looking for an ecommerce business, there are brokers who deal specifically in those. Some skew towards Amazon, some towards apps, Saas, etc.
BizBuySell generally just aggregates from other sites. If you can get in with a broker and show them you're serious, they often open opportunities up to their "list" before putting them in the open.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Alternatively... Finding a complementary company or buying a strategic partner that ISN'T listed on the market is FAR more likely to be a great deal you can be excited about. Everything is for sale, at the right price and you can get deal crafty.

I agree. Bizbuysell is a great resource to help you generate ideas for potential industries to look at, especially since they have (albeit inflated) numbers to go along with them. Slightly better than going in blindly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.