The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Biz for Sale" Bird Dog...is this a thing?

palneoon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
883%
Sep 24, 2019
This is definitely a thing.

There are business brokerages that do this for sellers and buyers.

On the sell-side, these firms have the infrastructure and systems in place to handle the sale, the know-how to sell fast and at good prices, and a network of interested buyers to bring the deal to.

On the buy-side, they guarantee the business numbers, and the valuation. Clients know they aren't buying a lemon.

The easiest model you could start with is consulting for private buyers.

Get some traffic from some MMO list, and start qualifying potential clients.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

A little bit of background: I've just sold my first business after running it for 2 years.
Not "FU" money yet, but it's some good padding to think about the next opportunity.

One thing I'll say is I've learned a LOT through this process, and after selling immediately began looking into businesses to buy. I'm naturally a spreadsheet maniac and began examining a few businesses on flippa and scoring them strictly on the numbers...

Although I'm not going to jump on these myself, what I love about this process is the mental exercise of compiling information, examining a market, crunching numbers, weighing risks, and potentially pitching a biz to a buyer. Strategy was always my strong point in all biz endeavors...basically anything other than running the business itself I was pretty good at, and this seems like a potential vehicle.

My question is...is there such a thing as a "bird dog" for businesses? Are there guys who only look for businesses all day? If so, do they only exist within brokerages or investment firms? Can you do this solo?

I can see the need exists for investors who don't want to spend hours finding good deals, and I take a cut of the business purchase.

So far, it seems like the only real place to pursue a path like this is by working at an investment firm. Probably not a bad gig but I don't have control.

Any insight is appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Absolutely a thing, but what you could make depends on how far along you tackle the deal, deal size, your diligence, etc. A simple referral would probably get a flat fee, whereas getting it under LOI, closed, financed, etc would warrant a cut. Some good info here:

palneoon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
883%
Sep 24, 2019
Gotcha! For now I'd be focusing on the buy-side. The play is If I don't buy the business myself, I'd at least have the option to pass the ball to someone who'd want it.

If this structure exists on the buy-side only, are the consultants to private buyers getting a finder's fee, a flat retainer, or something else?

I'd like to see if it's possible to simply make the introduction after performing initial DD and get paid for it (for now). Not really looking to start a brokerage with all the moving parts involved. At least for now.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

Well, the easiest way to do this (and mind you, I'm spitballing here, because I have not done anything like this personally) seems to be creating a list of entrepreneurs/investors (as in, people who buy internet assets) who are interested in specific asset types. Nurture a relationship, and contact them when you have an opportunity.

What is an MMO list?
MMO = Make Money Online.

Basically I meant: get promoted on a mailing list of people who are interested in online assets.

In fact, it still kind of fits with the above.

If you really enjoy this activity, then why not build a website/mailing list on it? You can write about online business assets buying/selling, and offer your services as a consultant. See where it goes from there.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@UnrealCreative In the realestate world there are businesses operating as buyers' agents. They get paid by the buyer, not the seller or the seller's agent.

From what I have seen they are usually operated by one person without staff.

I see a good possibility for you in that type of business.

Walter

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

On the buy-side, they guarantee the business numbers, and the valuation. Clients know they aren't buying a lemon.
Gotcha! For now I'd be focusing on the buy-side. The play is If I don't buy the business myself, I'd at least have the option to pass the ball to someone who'd want it.

If this structure exists on the buy-side only, are the consultants to private buyers getting a finder's fee, a flat retainer, or something else?

I'd like to see if it's possible to simply make the introduction after performing initial DD and get paid for it (for now). Not really looking to start a brokerage with all the moving parts involved. At least for now.

Get some traffic from some MMO list, and start qualifying potential clients.
What is an MMO list?

Thanks for the reply!

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Absolutely a thing, but what you could make depends on how far along you tackle the deal, deal size, your diligence, etc. A simple referral would probably get a flat fee, whereas getting it under LOI, closed, financed, etc would warrant a cut. Some good info here:
How you have such a breadth of knowledge is beyond me; thanks for the link!
Digging in. Hope to chat at the summit :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.