The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

"Biz for Sale" Bird Dog...is this a thing?

UnrealCreative

It's Only The Beginning.
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
San Juan
A little bit of background: I've just sold my first business after running it for 2 years.
Not "FU" money yet, but it's some good padding to think about the next opportunity.

One thing I'll say is I've learned a LOT through this process, and after selling immediately began looking into businesses to buy. I'm naturally a spreadsheet maniac and began examining a few businesses on flippa and scoring them strictly on the numbers...

Although I'm not going to jump on these myself, what I love about this process is the mental exercise of compiling information, examining a market, crunching numbers, weighing risks, and potentially pitching a biz to a buyer. Strategy was always my strong point in all biz endeavors...basically anything other than running the business itself I was pretty good at, and this seems like a potential vehicle.

My question is...is there such a thing as a "bird dog" for businesses? Are there guys who only look for businesses all day? If so, do they only exist within brokerages or investment firms? Can you do this solo?

I can see the need exists for investors who don't want to spend hours finding good deals, and I take a cut of the business purchase.

So far, it seems like the only real place to pursue a path like this is by working at an investment firm. Probably not a bad gig but I don't have control.

Any insight is appreciated.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

palneoon

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 24, 2019
This is definitely a thing.

There are business brokerages that do this for sellers and buyers.

On the sell-side, these firms have the infrastructure and systems in place to handle the sale, the know-how to sell fast and at good prices, and a network of interested buyers to bring the deal to.

On the buy-side, they guarantee the business numbers, and the valuation. Clients know they aren't buying a lemon.

The easiest model you could start with is consulting for private buyers.

Get some traffic from some MMO list, and start qualifying potential clients.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom