The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BigCommerce Rest In Peace (Alternatives Re: Price Increase)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We have a few BigCommerce stores on a medium price tier. We currently pay $39.99/month for use of their platform. I've been using BigCommerce for four full years.

They just announced they are DOUBLING their prices, effective 7/1/16. They can kiss my a$$.

Their platform is inferior to Shopify and several others. The ONLY reason they made sense previously was price.

I'll be getting my money back for the custom template I purchased from them, and migrating to greener pastures. I'll hire a VA to rebuild things on a new platform, and then sit back and watch BigCommerce finish their going out of business strategy.

There are several alternatives which we will be posting about in the forum in the weeks to come. My hope is to have every single forum member here to leave BigCommerce and let them implode from within.

As this thread will be indexed and alerted to BigCommerce, let me be amongst the first to tell you :

11037d1224123722-mickey-mouse-democrat-mickeymousefinger_attitude-jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
We have a few BigCommerce stores on a medium price tier. We currently pay $39.99/month for use of their platform. I've been using BigCommerce for four full years.

They just announced they are DOUBLING their prices, effective 7/1/16. They can kiss my a$$.

Their platform is inferior to Shopify and several others. The ONLY reason they made sense previously was price.

I'll be getting my money back for the custom template I purchased from them, and migrating to greener pastures. I'll hire a VA to rebuild things on a new platform, and then sit back and watch BigCommerce finish their going out of business strategy.

There are several alternatives which we will be posting about in the forum in the weeks to come. My hope is to have every single forum member here to leave BigCommerce and let them implode from within.

As this thread will be indexed and alerted to BigCommerce, let me be amongst the first to tell you :

11037d1224123722-mickey-mouse-democrat-mickeymousefinger_attitude-jpg

Are you planning on going with shopify or do you have any others in mind? I was planning on setting shop up with shopify initially, simple, clean design and quite reliable as per a few folks I know who use it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Are you planning on going with shopify or do you have any others in mind? I was planning on setting shop up with shopify initially, simple, clean design and quite reliable as per a few folks I know who use it.

Going to start some research now. Open to opinions. I like Shopify. I specifically like their Amazon FBA integration which BigCommerce doesn't have. Like most changes, this one will likely be for the better in the long run. Short term pain for long term gain.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
PLEASE start a Progress Thread for this, @Vigilante, as one of the reasons our startup will be launching on Amazon exclusively at first is because we don't know the back-end set up of an E-Commerce Website using Shopify, etc.

You would definitely have a #1 fan out of me

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
PLEASE start a Progress Thread for this, @Vigilante, as one of the reasons our startup will be launching on Amazon exclusively at first is because we don't know the back-end set up of an E-Commerce Website using Shopify, etc.

You would definitely have a #1 fan out of me

Someone smarter than me will do it so I can learn from them, and you along with me. There are a lot of eCommerce pros here, and one of them will hopefully illuminate a path.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Going to start some research now. Open to opinions. I like Shopify. I specifically like their Amazon FBA integration which BigCommerce doesn't have. Like most changes, this one will likely be for the better in the long run. Short term pain for long term gain.

Initially, I was planning on being cheap and self hosting Wordpress with Woocommerce, but I decided that it may not be worth the headaches. I'd rather deal with a simple, reliable and powerful platform which Shopify seems to be, judging by many users I know who do high volume sales.

I remember @JasonR posted a thread with a 25% discount from Life Hacker. I see it went down to 15%, but nonetheless, savings! https://www.shopify.ca/lifehacker

Credit goes to Jason for the link.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
@Vigilante

I have stores on Shopify & Big Commerce. We recently just opened another one on Americommerce but they recently just got bought out by capital one. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the product. You should check out Americommerce out.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If I end up with Shopify, I am going to invite them here as an advertiser. They should be a forum sponsor.

Shopify seems like the natural winner of the migration.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Vigilante

I have stores on Shopify & Big Commerce. We recently just opened another one on Americommerce but they recently just got bought out by capital one. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the product. You should check out Americommerce out.

Log into your BigCommerce platform office tonight and see if you get the alert for their new pricing.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
Someone smarter than me will do it so I can learn from them, and you along with me. There are a lot of eCommerce pros here, and one of them will hopefully illuminate a path.

I personally think yours would be better. And here is my reasoning:

Most Ecommerce pros here will be telling me from the standpoint of a Consultant or an Expert.

YOU are near my experience level, and will be more interactive to your learning.

Not to mention, you are in a very unique spot, having to integrate everything over and almost do MORE work than if a professional was talking about starting from scratch.

I already have your title ;) "Progress Thread: Jumping Boats and Starting Fresh"

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The new bigcommerce threshhold for $80/mo is $125k in 12 months rolling sales. If you exceed $125k in sales, the fee jumps to $200/mo.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wonder if Shopify will follow suit... like airline ticket pricing. Lets hope not.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
The new bigcommerce threshhold for $80/mo is $125k in 12 months rolling sales. If you exceed $125k in sales, the fee jumps to $200/mo.

I didn't know that Ecommerce platforms scaled pricing with the success of the business...

Wonder if Shopify will follow suit... like airline ticket pricing. Lets hope not.

Usually when stuff like this happens, a newer (and hopefully better) competitor arises that offers everything that Bigcommerce does + Bells * Whistles.

This would be a really unique opportunity for Amazon to become king of the hill in this industry.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BigCommerce pissed me off years ago when I was running an Interspire cart (paid for an infinite license) and they bought the company, or did some kinda corporate switcheroo.... I got a notice that support would stop for Interspire and I would need to upgrade to BigCommerce. Of course, that switch would come with a new monthly bill which I didn't have before.

Told them to pound sand.

They died for me years ago.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
BigCommerce pissed me off years ago when I was running an Interspire cart (paid for an infinite license) and they bought the company, or did some kinda corporate switcheroo.... I got a notice that support would stop for Interspire and I would need to upgrade to BigCommerce. Of course, that switch would come with a new monthly bill which I didn't have before.

Told them to pound sand.

They died for me years ago.

I bought a custom web design from one of their designers. You can bet your a$$ they'll be giving me a refund, either the easy way or happily in small claims. The forgot to mention to me when I bought the customization that they were doubling their rates.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This forum is turning into a Political Action Committee for Entrepreneurs.

Always has been. It's just been a while since an external stimulus has served as a catalyst. The forum gets hundreds of thousands of visits a month. The value of advertising here for the right (www.Shopify.com) advertiser is tremendous. The return on investment for the right (Shopify) advertiser is a no brainer. Our members RALLY around great advertisers (https://www.shopify.com/)

Please note this post is NOT an official solicitation of https://www.shopify.com/ to become an advertiser. To do that, they would want to email mj@thefastlaneforum.com for special rates. All rights reserved. BigCommerce can F*ck off. Shopify should maybe create a PROMO CODE to go along with their forum advertising campaign here.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
Always has been. It's just been a while since an external stimulus has served as a catalyst. The forum gets hundreds of thousands of visits a month. The value of advertising here for the right (www.Shopify.com) advertiser is tremendous. The return on investment for the right (Shopify) advertiser is a no brainer. Our members RALLY around great advertisers (https://www.shopify.com/)

Please note this post is NOT an official solicitation of https://www.shopify.com/ to become an advertiser. To do that, they would want to email mj@thefastlaneforum.com for special rates. All rights reserved. BigCommerce can F*ck off. Shopify should maybe create a PROMO CODE to go along with their forum advertising campaign here.

Hahaha I literally didn't notice your cute fine print until I quoted your post. and then the last "F*ck off" made the rest of my evening in this snowy hell I call a temporary home.

Well, back to work! I suck at product research on Amazon, but as they say, "Rome wasn't built by Bigcommerce"

*Man I'm bad at jokes

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
@Vigilante

@biophase and I discussed some of the merits of Shopify versus WooCommerce here.

We both found it to be an unattractive long term option, because of hidden transaction fees. Otherwise a solid platform, but really greedy.

I think it's good to start off with, but too expensive in the long haul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
@Vigilante

@biophase and I discussed some of the merits of Shopify versus WooCommerce here.

We both found it to be an unattractive long term option, because of hidden transaction fees. Otherwise a solid platform, but really greedy.

I think it's good to start off with, but too expensive in the long haul.

What platform would you suggest then for long-term positioning?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Greed. BigCommerce is just the latest in a string of people with their hand out, wanting YOUR money. At which time the value offered is less than the fee demanded, it's time to find a better solution. I'd pay more for better service, but am certainly not going to pay more for what is arguably an inferior platform. Greed. Miscalculation.

At one point, KMart was the #1 discount retailer in the United States. It was just one management team's miscalculation away from it's inevitable bankruptcy.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah, their new pricing sucks. But Shopify's is not any better. Both these companies are trying to make money on credit card processing. Both their rates are higher than what I currently pay.

Maybe I'll dust off the Interspire software. I have 5 BC stores right now. There's no way I'm staying with them at $80/mo.

Volusion's pricing looks decent, but their templates are hard to modify.

Shopify has an insane 2% fee if you use an external payment gateway.

@MJ, what are you running? It's being self hosted right?

IMO, Bigcommerce is not run be people who have online stores. I met them in Texas a few years ago and also spoke to their support when I went from Interspire to BC. Their support does not know how to use their own stores and their training department has given really bad advice in how to run an online store. I've stuck with them for almost 5 years now. But it's probably time to move on. Or course migrating 5 stores will be a big headache but I just have to bite the bullet and do it now.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah, their new pricing sucks. But Shopify's is not any better. Both these companies are trying to make money on credit card processing. Both their rates are higher than what I currently pay.

Maybe I'll dust off the Interspire software. I have 5 BC stores right now. There's no way I'm staying with them at $80/mo.

Volusion's pricing looks decent, but their templates are hard to modify.

Shopify has an insane 2% fee if you use an external payment gateway.

@MJ, what are you running? It's being self hosted right?

IMO, Bigcommerce is not run be people who have online stores. I met them in Texas a few years ago and also spoke to their support when I went from Interspire to BC. Their support does not know how to use their own stores and their training department has given really bad advice in how to run an online store. I've stuck with them for almost 5 years now. But it's probably time to move on. Or course migrating 5 stores will be a big headache but I just have to bite the bullet and do it now.

My thought was once I pick a new platform, I will just hire a VA to do 90% of the migration, and I can put the finishing touches on it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
"better platform: Because merchants who use more platform resources pay accordingly, we’re able to reinvest more in new features, enhancements and stability."

This is a joke. Processing a few more orders does not take up that much more resources. They are basically saying that as you make more money, we want more of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.