The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BIG a$$ ROCK

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
This post is specifically for any new or aspiring entrepreneurs on this forum.

The easiest way to explain what you will go through to become a successful entrepreneur is to imagine a giant big a$$ round rock. Your job in the beginning is to figure out how you can begin to move this rock back and forth so you can build some momentum (most people give up before even attempting the first push).

Once you are able to accomplish your first push, the rock will come back at you slightly and you will keep having to push extremely hard, back and forth (usually for years) before the pushing become easier. After this point, the rock will begin to roll and the pushing will become easier as you gain momentum. The key after this point is to not get run over by the rock.

That is why this forum cannot make you successful in the literal sense; this forum won't push the rock for you, only you can do that. Better get to pushing, before it's too late.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
me irl
japanese-gameshows-boulder.gif

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I have 5 more books to read about pushing the rock, before I push the rock.

I've also asked all of my friends, relatives, and multiple internet strangers their opinion on the rock before I push it. Don't wanna end up pushing the wrong rock!

Although I'm not sure which rock to push now. So I'll probably push multiple rocks at the same time.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Another rock story/metaphor:

So I was at Eisenhower State Park on lake Texoma this week climbing some of the huge limestone boulders.

(pic of the boulders from google):

img_2531_edit.jpg

At first, the routes were tough, as I didn't know the best places to put my hands/feet.

While trying to figure it out, I'd sometimes grab a handful of gravel, and my hand would slip out of the crack.

Sometimes a chunk of rock I was holding onto would just break off in my hand.

I frequently had to bail mid-reach due to the spiders where I was about to grab.

Sometimes, I had to stick my hand into a dark hole, unseen. There could have been spiders in there. It might not be deep enough for me to latch onto. I stuck it in there anyways.

Eventually, all the webs and spiders were gone. All the holds were gravel-free. And I climbed to the top of the F*cking boulder.

The kids on the beach excitedly said "hey, look at that guy climbing up there!!!!"

Their parents immediately told them that them that they weren't allowed to climb on the boulders.

Meanwhile, I let my 2-year-old daughter climb all over them. One day, she's going to climb big boulders too.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
How To Roll Your Rock In 30 Days (Or Less!)

The Power of Positive Thinking When Rock Pushing

Think and Move Rock

7 Secrets to Get Your Rock Rolling

After studying these materials, my day to day life now looks like this.

Let me know if you want a copy of these courses and ebooks ($1997+ value), supples are extremely limited so act now!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
How To Roll Your Rock In 30 Days (Or Less!)

The Power of Positive Thinking When Rock Pushing

Think and Move Rock

7 Secrets to Get Your Rock Rolling

After studying these materials, my day to day life now looks like this.

Let me know if you want a copy of these courses and ebooks ($1997+ value), supples are extremely limited so act now!

@MidwestLandlord

Are these the books you mentioned?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
That's @458 for the analogy. But thanks everyone else for bringing the levity into it.

We can describe the process of starting a business in a number of different ways, but in the end it all goes back to taking that first step. Then taking another.

Go binge watch some Gary V and start working!

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Holy shit. Great metaphor.

You can either give up on moving the rock, accepting defeat... or you can go to the gym, get stronger to help you move this rock further - faster.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Why do you recommend that instead of just "start working"? Will Gary V push the rock for people? No.

It was intended as part of the jokes above. Gary V offers very little real education for entrepreneurs. All he preaches is just to get out there and do something.

People who are addicted to his videos will never do anything because, if you need Gary V to tell you start, you'll never actually start.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Holy shit. Great metaphor.

You can either give up on moving the rock, accepting defeat... or you can go to the gym, get stronger to help you move this rock further - faster.

Or build a rock moving machine.

Yea, I just brought back the Chuma and Azur metaphor.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If you push the rock for me just to help me get started I'll give you 20% of however much it rolls!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
On a serious note - motivational videos and books can be great at "priming" you before action. Priming is a really powerful and useful tool to have in your arsenal.

I think it was Tony Robins I heard recently who referenced a study where they had random people on the street hold a cup of coffee for a second while the researcher pulled out a short story and asked the random people to review the story. Half the people described the story as cold, unmoving, careless, emotionless and empty and the other half described it as warm, uplifting, inspiring and felt good. The only difference? The coffee was hot half the time and cold the other half.

(there are a dozen similar studies, by the way, this was hardly novel)

So rather than binge-consuming on motivational messaging, use it to prime yourself before action. If you feel lazy - watch some Tony Robins or Gary V or whoever with the plan to get some real work done immediately after. Like a motivational "pill" you take to get your a$$ in gear.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
use it to prime yourself before action.

All sitting on my a$$ watching youtube videos ever primes me for: sitting on my a$$ watching more youtube videos. Maybe it works for some people. All it gets for this guy is a wasted morning. :clench:

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Or build a rock moving machine.

Yea, I just brought back the Chuma and Azur metaphor.

Yeah, or that... don't know how I forgot about that metaphor lol. It was the biggest part in the book that resonated with me :rofl:.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Or... measure the weight of the rock and calculate how much force it would take to move the rock to where you want to move it. Build a machine based on these measurements to push the rock for you/help you push the rock. ;)

@Scot beat me to it haha

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Yeah, or that... don't know how I forgot about that metaphor lol. It was the biggest part in the book that resonated with me :rofl:.
So don't push the rock?

Edit:
I'm out.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Wow, such mockery and discouragement. It sounds like some of you guys really hate entrepreneurs. It's very strange and it discourages posts by new members because they will almost always be savagely attacked and mocked in what would appear to be a safe place (at least "safer" for big thinkers) - this forum. Isn't this place supposed to promote pushing for success? I'm really surprised at many of the poster's comments in this thread. The moment someone mentions something positive it seems there are always a half dozen members (who should know better) who insist on shitting all over people's ideas, efforts, questions and comments.

Take it easy fellas. You're all way better than that. This isn't a place to discourage and mock but sadly it's fast becoming one. Let's pick up the tone shall we?

Last edited:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Wow, such mockery and discouragement. It sounds like some of you guys really hate entrepreneurs. It's very strange and it discourages posts by new members because they will almost always be savagely attacked and mocked in what would appear to be a safe place (at least "safer" for big thinkers) - this forum. Isn't this place supposed to promote pushing for success? I'm really surprised at many of the poster's comments in this thread. The moment someone mentions something positive it seems there are always a half dozen members (who should know better) who insist on shitting all over people's ideas, efforts, questions and comments.

Take it easy fellas. You're all way better than that. This isn't a place to discourage and mock but sadly it's fast becoming one. Let's pick up the tone shall we?

I disagree.

People respond to different types of, well, encouragement.

Some respond to "You got this buddy. Just keep going and you'll get there" style of encouragement.

Some respond better to the locker room style of encouragement... like this thread.

I for one respond better to the locker room style. I know I'm not alone. Nothing wrong with either. I've given, and been given, both styles of encouragement here.

Besides that, "be an entrepreneur" is very quickly becoming a mainstream thing, I would dare say part of the script , and most of the information out there for wannabe entrepreneurs is flat WRONG. It's fun to make fun of that.

I gotta say too, that if people can't handle a little levity related to this entrepreneur gig, a little mockery of the mistakes we all make, how will they react when they put a product or service out and the market gives negative feedback? (or ignore's them completely)

Will they adjust? Or will they shrink back into their safe space and keep action-faking?

The best comedians in the world all have one thing in common: they are relate-able. Their humor comes from a place inside them, a place we've all been. So I find the humor in this thread relate-able, because I've been there, done that, with virtually all the examples.

If I can't laugh at myself, who can I laugh at?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Isn't this place supposed to promote pushing for success?

Absolutely.

But we also push for reality, truth, and no-sugarcoating.

And that is needed when for the Xth time, someone thinks taking 3 hours to write a 22 page fitness eBook is the holy grail to passive income.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

SbISy.gif

In all seriousness though. I see where you are coming from.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.