The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Beware Those Offering To Hire You Too Easily - Meeting A Psycho For Coffee

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Intro
I was working with a client and solved his technical problem smoothly. He went on to ask what else I'm doing for work and said I'm an easy person to talk to. Then, he said he's always looking to hire people to sell for him.

We'll call him Chris. Picture a middle aged guy in a shirt, tie and slacks. He seemed likable and had no cares in the world.

The Hook
Chris made it sound as if he had his own Ebates type program where he makes great money from sending discounted traffic to big box stores. That made sense and sounded like a great fastlane to learn from...

The 1st red flag was he suggested that he would meet me anytime and anywhere that is convenient for me. What a great guy huh? :rofl:

The Line
When I actually met Chris at a coffee shop he asked me if I ever heard of (the great prophet) Kiyosaki's teachings? (2nd HUGE red flag)

Chris went on to say how he sends volume by signing people up to get an independent buyer number and all this stuff about saving money when people shop.

From there, I asked him if the main value he adds is saving people money. And if I can use one of those numbers to buy everything with a discount.

He looked at me and then started scribbling numbers on a legal pad of how the "commissions" stack on themselves. His glassy eyed mania reminded me of a one of my first clients. (who was ultra manipulative and delusional) (3rd red flag)

Didn't Need A 4th Red Flag
Turns out after a few direct questions he works for Amway and has for over 20 years. He spends another 5 minutes telling a story of a guy who makes $100,000,000 a year just by "following the system."

And then he tells me how he personally owns 24 rental properties to have lots of passive income sources just as Kiyosaki teaches. His "proof" was some text from someone saying her man is jail and will pay him back later. :rofl:

(Probably someone under him that owes him for random products/infotainment.)

The Sinker
I asked him if he's ever heard of the Millionaire Fastlane or Unscripted . I went on to ask him what control I have over my "business." Then, I asked him why it only costs "$63" to enter when the potential is... soooo high.

He started talking again about the people who make millions. Chris circled how if I only had 3 networks of 9 people I'd be making $300,000 a month. "Imagine the lifestyle you can have."

He couldn't believe it when I told him I'm more of a producer than a consumer already. I told him of the time I lived off less than $1500 a month on my own. And how it was awesome since I was learning to master my life.

This caused him to fold his arms and frown. He started telling me I was one of the unlucky 80% who aren't cut out for success, blah blah blah.

I'd rate this experience 8/10 since it only cost me 25 minutes and $1.50 for a beverage. :rofl:

TLDR: Thought a fastlaner sales client wanted to hire me. Turns out he's a snake oil salesman. Took a brief vacation into the Twilight Zone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
He started talking again about the people who make millions.
he works for Amway and has for over 20 years.

And probably makes $1000 a year, which is why he has to talk about other people making millions.

Twenty freaking years and this poor guy still visits the slaughterhouse not recognizing he's the sheep.

Thank you for mentioning my books. I see RK's sell-out to the MLM industry is still paying dividends.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
And probably makes $1000 a year, which is why he has to talk about other people making millions.

Twenty freaking years and this poor guy still visits the slaughterhouse not recognizing he's the sheep.

Thank you for mentioning my books. I see RK's sell-out to the MLM industry is still paying dividends.

He spoke of him as if he is some kind of untouchable god.

And no problem, your books are the best in the industry for a reason. They've saved me from many bad decisions.

Everyone else seems to be a shill in some way.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I actually take offense whenever somebody tries to pitch me an MLM meeting lol..

Of course, I politely decline and go about my day.. but I've had ones that keep pushing; I usually hit them with a couple harsh truths about entrepreneurship that gets them straightened out lol.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
For $63 dollars, you POOF!! start making $300,000????

LOL

Are people this gullible? Seriously.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Now, It sounds like the typical commission pyramid bs. The only way to make serious money is by having a fleet of guys working for you. Recruiters try to brain-wash you with a long term pipe dream so that they can take the majority of your profits.

While I do not support MLM in anyway, this is not true. The people I know who make full-time incomes including two millionaires from MLM do so from selling the products. They have a handful of people under them but they dont push for people under them or even ask. They let their success speak for themselves and if someone is qualified and truly interested, they will take them under their wing. My friend who does Scentsy told me that only 5% of her income comes from those under her. She just sells a ton of product including some commercial clients who buy a lot of volume.

While I dont like the way they operate, most of the bed press MLMs get is because people are foolish. Like any business, it requires knowledge, skills and investment. The problem with MLMs is that tons of people who have none of those things try which leads to a high failure rate. I put that on the people trying to start a business more than the MLMs. If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is. If you dont have the knowledge, skills, time, or more to start a business then dont sign up. Most of all - dont push people into signing up. Let the products stand for themselves and when you experience success, people who are truly interested and qualified will sign-up.

Also, a lot of financial companies have their sales force setup just like an MLM including major companies like Charles Schwab. You make 100% commission and if you recruit someone, you get some money from what you earn too. The person who hired me for a mortgage broker I worked for made 10% of everything I brought in. I guess my point is that I think MLMs arent the way to go, they are not as bad as they are made out to be. It is the people who sign-up without the qualifications then try to aggressively push the program on others that are the major problem. Other than that, they arent that different from other sales jobs. It is what you make of it. Plus, some of them have great products.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Lol, this sounds eerily familiar to what happened to me a little while ago. I met with two couples at a Starbucks and later attended a basement meeting with about 30 people in this.

It was at this basement meeting where I watched these friendly people become an evil cult.

There was one speaker that started off quite positive and funny, but then he uttered something that I knew wasn't true.

It was along the lines of "When you become an adult, you don't have friends."

Once, I heard that I realized, holy shit they are trying to convert people into snake oil salesmen. Even being the dumb little shrimp at this "meeting." I knew enough that they weren't in the business of actually benefiting people, they were in the business of "profit at the costs." Even if it negatively impacts people's personal networks.

I was out after that.

Got a free copy of "The Compound Effect" and an important lesson I guess. Next time I hear "Amway," I'll run the other direction.

EDIT: This is my opinion. If you see benefit with Amway or MLM I am not trying to convince you that they are evil. I can use hyperbole language at times. I personally found the products mediocre and overpriced.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
For $63 dollars, you POOF!! start making $300,000????

LOL

Are people this gullible? Seriously.

Apparently since the company is worth $10 billion. Seems they either sell a lot of soap or a lot of info products.

Today I also learned a certain billionaire Edukashun Sec's family owns the company. No wonder why people are so scripted and helpless.

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
May 2, 2019
Toronto
The guy you met with probably has a day job. I bet he tries to setup this hustle as a passive income.

Now, It sounds like the typical commission pyramid bs. The only way to make serious money is by having a fleet of guys working for you. Recruiters try to brain-wash you with a long term pipe dream so that they can take the majority of your profits.

Any serious entrepreneur who get's involved in these things eventually realize that they're making no money and better yet, they don't need "the recruiter" at all.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
This is the exact part that makes MLM's so loathsome. The entire business structure is built on manipulating people.

Deceive
While I do not support MLM in anyway, this is not true. The people I know who make full-time incomes including two millionaires from MLM do so from selling the products. They have a handful of people under them but they dont push for people under them or even ask. They let their success speak for themselves and if someone is qualified and truly interested, they will take them under their wing. My friend who does Scentsy told me that only 5% of her income comes from those under her. She just sells a ton of product including some commercial clients who buy a lot of volume.

While I dont like the way they operate, most of the bed press MLMs get is because people are foolish. Like any business, it requires knowledge, skills and investment. The problem with MLMs is that tons of people who have none of those things try which leads to a high failure rate. I put that on the people trying to start a business more than the MLMs. If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is. If you dont have the knowledge, skills, time, or more to start a business then dont sign up. Most of all - dont push people into signing up. Let the products stand for themselves and when you experience success, people who are truly interested and qualified will sign-up.

Also, a lot of financial companies have their sales force setup just like an MLM including major companies like Charles Schwab. You make 100% commission and if you recruit someone, you get some money from what you earn too. The person who hired me for a mortgage broker I worked for made 10% of everything I brought in. I guess my point is that I think MLMs arent the way to go, they are not as bad as they are made out to be. It is the people who sign-up without the qualifications then try to aggressively push the program on others that are the major problem. Other than that, they arent that different from other sales jobs. It is what you make of it. Plus, some of them have great products.
The reason why people hate MLM's is because the entire process relies on getting other people to hustle FOR YOU.

Sure there are successful people in MLM, but their success relies on deluding others into believing THEY TOO can be that successful. But no matter how much money they get, someone else will make more off their hard work.

This is different from a sales job where you're a salaried employee, but you make more depending on your performance. But it's clear that you're an employee.

When MLM recruiters try to explain the process to you, it always sounds convoluted and complex. This is done INTENTIONALLY to confuse you so you never really know what you're signing up for.

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
I first learned about entrepreneurship and personal development through Amway, and I did end up spending a lot of money for products. Gotta say though, I still to this day love the energy drinks and their protein bars, very delicious.

As far as the business part of it goes a lot of clueless about business people are sold a dream, and without learning anything about how entrepreneurship actually works or in some cases even reading any of the books(I read Robert Kiyosaki's books before Amway, actually why I joined) they go out and try ti explain something they themselves don't entirely understand. The blind leading the blind really, with the ease of entry.

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
Sounds about right. I've been pitched on MLM's several times. What gets me is how these people always act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and their "compensation plan" is always their selling point. While some of their products may be fine, they're typically nothing special or different than anything else on the market, that you can just pick up at Target, yet they charge twice as much for it. I could never believe in anything they're selling enough to be successful selling it myself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.