The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Better late then never :P

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
Hello, I've been lurking for a while now. I don't think I've ever introduced myself though.

My name is Robert.

I chose not to complete college when I was about to transfer out. Instead I got into sales hoping I could learn the ropes of starting a business. I did that for two years and ever since I've tried different things to learn as much as I can..

I kept telling myself I would start to become a part of this forum but I've always pushed it aside. I've had INSIDERS for a few months as well but cancelled it when I had to go on "vacation".

Regardless.. I've had two jobs. I quit one and the other one that I used to work for 5+ years doesn't want me anymore xD

So... Instead of looking for another job, shit just hit the fan and chose to work on my business full time...

..You really don't take it seriously until you know you have payments to make.

Anyways, I hope to bring as much value to this forum as it has brought to me, thanks. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
chose to work on my business full time...

What business is that?

..You really don't take it seriously until you know you have payments to make.

Yup, urgency is indeed a fine motivator which is why moving out of the parent's basement might not be the best decision financially, but it is for personal growth.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the intro.

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
It's an information based product. I've always been very interested in info based products. After reading the Boron letters & 12 month millionaire I fell in love with copy and that's when the light bulb turned on.

Ive worked in a certain industry for a while and I've always made more than my peers. I don't wish to reveal my product publicly at this point but I know I can replicate it in others.

My product has been prototyped and now I'm working on the funnel.

The only thing that has me kind of worried is not being able to test out the market. I'm kind of going on a gut feeling on this one: 1) this industry is pretty large and 2) there is no product like this.. why? Maybe because there's no demand? Or maybe it's because they don't know they need it yet.

Ragardless, I'm going to test some landing pages to see how things play out.

I feel like I really understand offline direct mail but when it comes to online it gets a little bit more hazy. I like the idea of get your market and create a product around that (SRDS).. but I've been a little confused on how to do that online.. (I've just been using google keyword planner a bit..)

Anyways, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and that's all I really care about at this point.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Last edited:

_Seba_

AAA
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jun 24, 2015
Germany
Hey Robert, like your intro!

How did you start into sales? Were you successful in learning it?

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
@Andy Black that wrote a post about testing with an Adwords campaign. Look at step 8.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-is-a-market-for-your-products-services.70893

Thanks! I ran into that earlier and I guess I'm a the point right now where I just need to run things to see if it will hit or miss.

I just like the idea of creating a product around your market rather then having a product and looking for a market for it.

The first one feels just so much "secure"? Lol.

Anyways, I guess its because I fell into the latter with this business idea that I feel somewhat insecure about it.
Hey Robert, like your intro!

How did you start into sales? Were you successful in learning it?

Oh I loved sales, I learned everything from doing insurance for two years. I was a bit young compared to market I was serving and to tell you the truth I didn't completely believe in the product at that time, but I did get to take away so much from it.

I've learned about building rapport and relationships using body-langauge and language that would mimic the prospect/client, and in turn it would lead them further into your sales steps (or "funnel") with the trust you've created. It was so beautiful.

Although I didn't make too much money from it, when I implemented everything I've learned into something I believed in.. Oh boy.. I became a machine :D :D
I was around 19-21 during that time and Oh man. I became a party animal xD

I think that's why I fell in love with copy the first time I really looked into it. It was sales on paper, leading people with words.. And instead of having to do it every time for a new client. You do it ONCE.. That made so much sense to me..

I completely recommend sales for anyone trying to get in business. It completely opens up your eyes and knowing how to sell anything will always be a benefit for you in the long run

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
Cooool, so what I thought would take a few days took me about a couple weeks.

I had to learn how to set up a landing page, set up MailCheat(Chimp), learn copy, and learn sales funnels.

Copy is an essential part of my business so I couldn't start testing my landing page without it..

After reading boron letters, a bit of Robert colliers letters, and more than half of Bob Bly's copy writing handbook... Aand many, many, many drafts of copy, I have my final copy ad ready. I'm going to put it to the side so I can do a final revise tomorrow.
(I've also basically made a rough copy of the product because of all the research I did for the copy..)

Meanwhile, I've done a lot of research on keyword key planner seeing which words I would use for my ad by seeing myself in the eyes of the user. (A lot of the research I've done also shows me that there is a demand for the product, my main concern is having a demand that might be too low.. I would probably put this product in the category of: people don't know they need it yet)

Anyways,

Any ideas on how much I should spend of the ad campaign?
One of the keywords I want to test has a 200 click per day demand. Maybe I should test it at $200 a day? Assuming the ad will cost 200 CPC? Idk I'm not sure, that's just how I was going to do it.

On the other hand, I also get really interesting mood swings. One night I can't sleep because im stressing about my bills, the next I can't sleep because I ran the numbers with a modest conversion rate and I just see $$$$$$ everywhere.. a plus is I can see the light at the end of the tunnel so clearly almost like I've already made it.. it feels really good.. or maybe I'm just disillusioned xD.

EDIT: Maybe I just wasted a lot of time making things more complex then it had to be.. -_-

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Cooool, so what I thought would take a few days took me about a couple weeks.

I had to learn how to set up a landing page, set up MailCheat(Chimp), learn copy, and learn sales funnels.

Copy is an essential part of my business so I couldn't start testing my landing page without it..

After reading boron letters, a bit of Robert colliers letters, and more than half of Bob Bly's copy writing handbook... Aand many, many, many drafts of copy, I have my final copy ad ready. I'm going to put it to the side so I can do a final revise tomorrow.
(I've also basically made a rough copy of the product because of all the research I did for the copy..)

Meanwhile, I've done a lot of research on keyword key planner seeing which words I would use for my ad by seeing myself in the eyes of the user. (A lot of the research I've done also shows me that there is a demand for the product, my main concern is having a demand that might be too low.. I would probably put this product in the category of: people don't know they need it yet)

Anyways,

Any ideas on how much I should spend of the ad campaign?
One of the keywords I want to test has a 200 click per day demand. Maybe I should test it at $200 a day? Assuming the ad will cost 200 CPC? Idk I'm not sure, that's just how I was going to do it.

On the other hand, I also get really interesting mood swings. One night I can't sleep because im stressing about my bills, the next I can't sleep because I ran the numbers with a modest conversion rate and I just see $$$$$$ everywhere.. a plus is I can see the light at the end of the tunnel so clearly almost like I've already made it.. it feels really good.. or maybe I'm just disillusioned xD.

EDIT: Maybe I just wasted a lot of time making things more complex then it had to be.. -_-
I have a thread called "How to get profitable or fail fast with AdWords".

Check out the AdWords Posts thread linked to in my signature.

(Thanks @miked_d for tagging me.)

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
Alright COOL.

I feel really good..

I set up my first landing page w/ Google.. It took me 3 months to do it but now that I've learned how to do it I can throw up another one within a WEEK.

I took notes on EVERYTHING along the way so I can replicate it.

Some of the things I had to learn:
-How to write Copy
-Email automation (tried both MailCheat(Chimp) AND aweber)
-Wordpress/SSL certs/Themes/Minor coding (HTML, PHP)
-Privacy Policy/Terms & conditions
-Photoshop ebook renders
-logos/favicons
-How to get business #/address
-Adwords/Analytics
-quick rough ebook (to make the Copy)

And so much more..

.. I took it a step at a time, and it was more of getting to the next step THEN figuring out what I had to do next.

Also, I didn't know if I needed long copy w/ a whole product run down vs a simple ad.. I kept going back and forth and I think I spent most of my time being indecisive. I worked on AT LEAST 150 pages FILLED with copy rough drafts.

Regardless I stuck with long copy.. The product I'm seeking demand for is an info product, so I thought long copy might be better.. I also thought I would have trouble getting google to make me eligible for Adwords if it was just a simple landing page.. (IDK, maybe I'm wrong).

I'm still learning how to optimize my Adword campaigns by going through Andy's posts.

I've also realized that creating something that you can claim is yours is DAMN rewarding.. I haven't pulled any sales yet (just started getting the ads up today).. But DAMN. Feels so damn good (I caught the entrepreneurship bug..), But you also get days where you feel like shit because you're so uncertain xD

Anyways, during those 3 month's I've always celebrated successes by myself, so I thought I would just share my progress with you guys.

BTW, what is you guys' take on throwing up landing page to test demand. Do you go for something SUPER simple (one simple page with a few bullet points)? Or do you guys at least create a complete Copy Ad (6-8 handwritten pages)?
(EDIT: I meant to say 2-step Ad vs long copy)

(2nd EDIT: F**K!! I should of just done a simple 2 step Ad instead of spending so much time on long copy.. F**K.. Lesson learned.)

Last edited:

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
Progress update: started working on a minimum viable product. A rough copy of the ebook. I got the intro down and I'm thinking it'll take maybe a week to get everything sorted. I already have a rough product with a whole bunch of content, but it's disorganized. I'm basically just weaving everything together, adding emotion, and adding stories to it.. Doing this, I've realized my product is far superior to anything out on the market (I already checked out similar products on amazon before). Feels really good.

I have a superior product + my marketing will be superior (I learned a lot from teaching myself copywriting and getting my feet wet with google adwords.) I'm following the foot steps of doubleyourdating. I also rebuilt my website from the ground up. (Beaver builder and Generatepress premium is the shit! Wish I would of found them earlier before I spent money on useless plugins and themes... But then again, I wouldn't of known what "good" is if I never ran into the bad)

Along these few months I think Fastlane - The Emotional Journey of Creating Anything Great that explains my journey pretty well. Ultimately I learned that it doesn't matter what you feel like. Just keep pushing and keep working on it regardless.

Working out and being consistent at the gym for 3+ years also helps. Even after 3 years you still have days where you don't want to go.. But you do it. Because it's a part of you now.

And that's kind of what this business is like now too. In the past when I was struggling for cash I would panic and look for another job.. But after 3 months of grinding through this project, a job isn't appealing anymore.. It's just getting the business up ASAP.

Grind on~
Robert

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...