The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Way to Purchase and Transfer a Private Domain

Marketing, social media, advertising

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I recently received an unsolicited invitation to purchase a domain name that was somewhat similar to my own. I typically ignore these messages but, in this particular instance, the domain name offered had a particular appeal to me. It is one I would (in fact) like to acquire. The asking price was $97. I thought that was more than reasonable.

Now normally, when I acquire a domain, I obtain it direct from an established domain hosting service. But in this instance, it is already claimed. I've never bought a domain direct from a private individual or private company, and do not know how the process of transferring ownership of a domain between private individuals works.

I also am cautiously skeptical as to whether this is a scam or legit. Anyway ... so I asked them how I would know this was legit and I was told:

"We put up "Buy Now" pages on the domain names we sell. You would be able to buy the domain by going to it directly. The payment links would be there. We sell over Paypal and escrow.com and you get buyer protection with both."

So my first question is (for those of you who have done this before) ... does this sound legit ...? Is this how domains are bought and sold ...? And if not ... what is the correct or preferred way to go about it ...?

My second question is: Assuming it is legit ... how would I transfer the domain to my domain hosting service (Host Gator) and take possession of it ...? Not sure what is involved in that process to make the transfer complete.

And my third (related) question is this ... there is a domain name that another lawyer owns that I really REALLY want ... this thing would be absolute gold in my hands ... that I'm willing to shell out serious bucks for. The lawyer just has it parked and is not using it. Assuming I wanted to reach out to this lawyer and propose a purchase and sale of this domain ... how would you suggest I arrange this so as to make the transfer process relatively effortless to the other lawyer ...?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
To answer your questions.
1. Sounds legit. Paypal and Escrow are the two widely used platforms used when transacting with domains. I personally don't trust Paypal though, so I would use Escrow. I've flipped and sold many domains through Escrow with 0 issues, both sides are protected.
2. Hostgator is a hosting company, you will need to transfer your domain to a Registrar. I believe hostgator does have an internal Registrar though. I use and recommend Namecheap. I've been managing and still manage all of my domains over there for over 10 years, no issues.
3. Inquire about the domain and link him to Escrow so he feels safe about the transaction and that it's not a scam. Link him here - Securely Buy & Sell Domains & Websites Online - Escrow.com.

bingnanxu

Take Massive Determined Action
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 16, 2019
To answer your questions.
1. Sounds legit. Paypal and Escrow are the two widely used platforms used when transacting with domains. I personally don't trust Paypal though, so I would use Escrow. I've flipped and sold many domains through Escrow with 0 issues, both sides are protected.
2. Hostgator is a hosting company, you will need to transfer your domain to a Registrar. I believe hostgator does have an internal Registrar though. I use and recommend Namecheap. I've been managing and still manage all of my domains over there for over 10 years, no issues.
3. Inquire about the domain and link him to Escrow so he feels safe about the transaction and that it's not a scam. Link him here - Securely Buy & Sell Domains & Websites Online - Escrow.com.
Hey DDZC, any advice on filpping domains and selling them? I dont seem to get mine to sold, like xdiscover.com, bikinimilf.com, also how would you price them? Thanks in advance

Samix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 6, 2018
North Carolina

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Hey DDZC, any advice on filpping domains and selling them? I dont seem to get mine to sold, like xdiscover.com, bikinimilf.com, also how would you price them? Thanks in advance

I'm not intending to flip the domain. I intend to use it to market legal services.

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'll go with the last two because it's the ones I've had experience with

2. I second, third and forth the Namecheap recommendation. They're true to their name (domains are $15 a year) and they've helped me transfer domains through their online chat. They will give you step by step instructions. Typically there's a code the seller sends you if I remember well, you give namecheap or the hosting company and it "gets transferred" I don't remember it being too difficult.

3. Can you make an offer through the hosting site that parks it? Like go to the page and see which company has the domain, go to said company's site and look up the domain. It would say "taken" but when I use namecheap it has a button that says "make offer". Reason I say that is that you remain anonymous and he can't tell how valuable that would be for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.