The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best way and website to sell my own courses?

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
Kartra or Kajabi!

Allows you to host your course AND build beautiful sales funnels with upsells/downsells AND set up email marketing/automation. And it's super easy to use. I am not affiliated with them by any means, their software just ROCKS!

And Thinkific sucks. The only thing they're good for is hosting a course.

When it comes to selling it you'll need another tool to build landing pages on. Why not get a tool which allows you to do everything at one place?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Why not get a tool which allows you to do everything at one place?

Probably the $100+ per month pricing. It's a lot for someone who doesn't have experience selling courses, or proof that their courses will sell. Doesn't really make sense to go with either of those options for a beginner.

I will have my videos on Vimeo and have them displayed through Thrive Apprentice plus WooCommerce

I like Thrive Apprentice. Could even just skip apprentice though and go with a basic membership plugin plus vimeo to keep things super simple. That's how I hosted my first high-ticket courses. Checkout system + membership plugin to give access to a Wordpress page where I embedded Vimeo videos. Super simple. No flashy bells and whistles.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
ok, so I spent a lot of time researching Udemy as an option to sell my first online course. After hours reading through Lex's thread, and his subsequent updates, I've decided that I'm not comfortable with the lack of control that Udemy offers. SO, I'd like to offer my own courses, at my own prices, and at my own pace. I've done some research and have found these three sites:

1. Podia
2. Kajabi
3. Thinkific

Anyone have extensive experience with any of them?
I don't know about Podia, but I have had exposure to Kajabi, Thinkific, and Teachable. I've also seen the challenges that come with doing it through WordPress plus plugins. Also, I worked for a year with a company whose sole purpose and focus was to help course creators to sell their work and be successful.

Here's my opinionated take:

Thinkific and Teachable are good beginner-level options, especially if you're not very tech savvy. Like others have said, they don't come with great marketing tools, so you'll have to solve those problems a different way. But if you're looking for an affordable way to host your online course behind a paywall without needing hardly any tech skills, they might be a great option for you.

Working with a WordPress + plugins platform can either be very difficult or very effective for you, depending on your tech skills. If your skills are good, or if you have the ability to hire someone, then go for it. If you don't, you're going to constantly be running into issues trying to integrate your systems (CRM, email marketing, payment processing, calendar, call booking, ad traffic, landing pages, etc). Getting reliable stats on even simple questions like "How many signups did our ad drive last week?" can be a nightmare. If all that sounds easy to you, though, and tech integration is fun and not daunting, this option gives you the most customization and can be by far the most powerful. It allows you to use best-in-class options for each aspect of your marketing funnel. With any of the "all-in-one" options out there, you're limited to their tools. You have to trust their email deliverability, their calendar to work properly, their CRM to keep things organized the way you want, etc. Sometimes these things don't work (or stop working). If you're in WordPress and a certain app stops performing the way you want it to or you want to upgrade something, you just do it. If you're in Kajabi or Kartra or a similar platform, and one aspect of their software is problematic, you'd have to either put up with it or go through the hassle of switching platforms completely.

Kajabi - This platform combines course hosting with marketing tools like emails and landing pages. From my experience, the interface is fast, powerful, and impressive. It's easy to figure out and much quicker to get you up and running than if you go with a WordPress option. The student-facing interface is also clean and professional. If the price of Kajabi is not an obstacle, I'd say it is an easy choice. Stuff works well and you are able to focus more on creating your content than needing to run around solving tech puzzles.

The platform I have chosen to go with for my own use is New Zenler. It is built to be a Kajabi competitor, but it is still in Beta right now, so the pricing is a steal compared to Kajabi, and if you get on board during the beta pricing, you stay at that price for as long as you keep the software, no matter how they increase prices for new customers. I've been really impressed with the tools and the level of thought they have put into it. The only thing I've found that you can do on Kajabi that you can't do on New Zenler is host your own videos. You have to host them somewhere else (e.g. Vimeo) and embed them into New Zenler. I've found New Zenler very easy to set up and manage, and I haven't personally run into any "beta bugs." So if you like the idea of a platform like Kajabi, but the price is a bit steep for you, New Zenler might be a very attractive alternative. To join, you need an invite, so if anyone would like one, just message me and ask. With an invite, you can get access to all the tools for free to see what's included.

Hope this is helpful!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't know about Podia, but I have had exposure to Kajabi, Thinkific, and Teachable. I've also seen the challenges that come with doing it through WordPress plus plugins. Also, I worked for a year with a company whose sole purpose and focus was to help course creators to sell their work and be successful.

Thinkific and Teachable are good beginner-level options, especially if you're not very tech savvy. Like others have said, they don't come with great marketing tools, so you'll have to solve those problems a different way. But if you're looking for an affordable way to host your online course behind a paywall without needing hardly any tech skills, they might be a great option for you.

Working with a WordPress + plugins platform can either be very difficult or very effective for you, depending on your tech skills. If your skills are good, or if you have the ability to hire someone, then go for it. If you don't, you're going to constantly be running into issues trying to integrate your systems (CRM, email marketing, payment processing, calendar, call booking, ad traffic, landing pages, etc). Getting reliable stats on even simple questions like "How many signups did our ad drive last week?" can be a nightmare. If all that sounds easy to you, though, and tech integration is fun and not daunting, this option gives you the most customization and can be by far the most powerful. It allows you to use best-in-class options for each aspect of your marketing funnel. With any of the "all-in-one" options out there, you're limited to their tools. You have to trust their email deliverability, their calendar to work properly, their CRM to keep things organized the way you want, etc. Sometimes these things don't work (or stop working). If you're in WordPress and a certain app stops performing the way you want it to or you want to upgrade something, you just do it. If you're in Kajabi or Kartra or a similar platform, and one aspect of their software is problematic, you'd have to either put up with it or go through the hassle of switching platforms completely.

Kajabi - This platform combines course hosting with marketing tools like emails and landing pages. From my experience, the interface is fast, powerful, and impressive. It's easy to figure out and much quicker to get you up and running than if you go with a WordPress option. The student-facing interface is also clean and professional. If the price of Kajabi is not an obstacle, I'd say it is an easy choice. Stuff works well and you are able to focus more on creating your content than needing to run around solving tech puzzles.

The platform I have chosen to go with for my own use is New Zenler. It is built to be a Kajabi competitor, but it is still in Beta right now, so the pricing is a steal compared to Kajabi, and if you get on board during the beta pricing, you stay at that price for as long as you keep the software, no matter how they increase prices for new customers. I've been really impressed with the tools and the level of thought they have put into it. The only thing I've found that you can do on Kajabi that you can't do on New Zenler is host your own videos. You have to host them somewhere else (e.g. Vimeo) and embed them into New Zenler. I've found New Zenler very easy to set up and manage, and I haven't personally run into any "beta bugs." So if you like the idea of a platform like Kajabi, but the price is a bit steep for you, New Zenler might be a very attractive alternative. To join, you need an invite, so if anyone would like one, just message me and ask. With an invite, you can get access to all the tools for free to see what's included.

Hope this is helpful!
I’m using New Zenler too. I switched from Thinkific. I upload the videos to the platform though @Bekit, so that’s possible.

I raised a ticket with their support and they copied all my courses from Thinkific over, which was great.

Two niggles with New Zenler are:
  1. My students can only pay for recurring subscriptions through Stripe. Some ask to pay via PayPal but it’s not supported. I chose to live with this and manually set folks up.
  2. Students can’t auto-generate invoices.
I’m pretty pleased with New Zenler. The landing page creation experience is sooo much better than Thinkific’s, and it’s nice being able to send emails from within the platform.

Other platforms I’d check out are LearnWorlds, and Teachery.co

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
VERY helpful, and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your input. Could you send an invite so I can test it out?
Here you go:

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I agree. I love CF but I wish it had more practical stuff. Looks like Zenler has almost everything, including email list management and video hosting, as well as ability to build out funnels, correct?
Yes, I've had success with all those things in New Zenler... Although last I checked the file size for video hosting was pretty small, so maybe they've upped it since I checked.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
ok, so I spent a lot of time researching Udemy as an option to sell my first online course. After hours reading through Lex's thread, and his subsequent updates, I've decided that I'm not comfortable with the lack of control that Udemy offers. SO, I'd like to offer my own courses, at my own prices, and at my own pace. I've done some research and have found these three sites:

1. Podia
2. Kajabi
3. Thinkific

Anyone have extensive experience with any of them?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Check Teachable as well.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I use Kajabi for hosting the content and Thrivecart as the front end sales page (way better layout).

If you arent sure about sales starting out probably Teachable is your best low budget option.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Isn't teachable similar to Udemy, or no? (in terms of no control)

No, it's just another tool that lets you host your courses. You can process the payments through your own gateway or through theirs. Either way, it's not like Udemy. You set and control everything and it's not a marketplace.

LifeDeathTime

It's funny cause we're all going to die anyways
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 28, 2017
Austin, TX
I second the entire Thrive Suite.

It's a great deal when you break down the other plugins you get included, you'd have to pay for over the course of a year elsewhere anyways.

With Thrive Suite you get your course creation with Thrive Apprentice, your exit intent pop-ups/list building features with Thrive leads, you get A/B split testing of your landing pages with Thrive optimize, you get a landing page builder with Thrive architect, you get a great comment plug in with Thrive comments, you get a quiz builder with Thrive quizzes, and you can create evergreen sales funnels with Thrive ultimatum.

You get all of that for like $19 a month if you pay annually. I'm pretty sure something like optinmonster cost that much by itself.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio

Hope this is helpful!
VERY helpful, and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your input. Could you send an invite so I can test it out?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So, right now I use CLickfunnels and Madmimi for my newsletters. If I choose New Zenler or Kajabi or whatever, does that eliminate the need for both? I use CF to host my main website, and I like that i can create other funnels with it also.

Guess I'm looking to simplify but also expand to be able to do video courses/memberships.
What kind of funnels are you creating with Clickfunnels? New Zenler and Kajabi aren’t funnel building software.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
What kind of funnels are you creating with Clickfunnels? New Zenler and Kajabi aren’t funnel building software.
book launch funnel, and then course(s) funnels as a starting point

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
book launch funnel, and then course(s) funnels as a starting point
Can you use Carrd.co to create landing pages to get people onto email lists, and then promote your course from there?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not sure, I don't know anything about card.co ! Would have to look into it. Just want all my online stuff to be in one spot and with as few providers, for simplicity's sake
Sometimes one provider is more complicated than multiple. I found Clickfunnels overkill while still missing simple things I wanted.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Sometimes one provider is more complicated than multiple. I found Clickfunnels overkill while still missing simple things I wanted.
I agree. I love CF but I wish it had more practical stuff. Looks like Zenler has almost everything, including email list management and video hosting, as well as ability to build out funnels, correct?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
New Zenler funnels are quite simple, but nicely done.
  1. Landing Page
  2. to Checkout Page
  3. to Thank You Page
  4. to Course Access Page

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Kartra allows you to do all of that.

@Wiggly0607 you've flew past this comment 3 times now. Maybe on purpose, maybe not.

I use Kartra for my stuff. It's slightly clunky but super easy to use and has everything in one package, email, crm, shopping cart, pages, AND video hosting.

I have unlimited video hosting and emails for only $200/month.

It leaves a little to be desired in the design department but it ain't so bad.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
Probably the $100+ per month pricing. It's a lot for someone who doesn't have experience selling courses, or proof that their courses will sell. Doesn't really make sense to go with either of those options for a beginner.
WordPress has a steep learning curve for someone who's starting out + adding too many plugins can break the site if you don't know what you're doing.

If someone, who hasn't validated their idea wants to do it fast the $100/month can be worth it. They'll have to spend money on premium plugins/hosting anyway, so why not throw in a couple more bucks and get everything sorted out fast?

Obviously, if the OP doesn't have any money then by all means they can go on, learn how to set up a Wordpress site, and save a couple of bucks. Whether or not it's worth the extra tech hustle is up to them.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Kartra or Kajabi!

Allows you to host your course AND build beautiful sales funnels with upsells/downsells AND set up email marketing/automation. And it's super easy to use. I am not affiliated with them by any means, their software just ROCKS!

And Thinkific sucks. The only thing they're good for is hosting a course.

When it comes to selling it you'll need another tool to build landing pages on. Why not get a tool which allows you to do everything at one place?
I already use Clickfunnels, wanted something to host videos, do memberships, etc.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio

I like Thrive Apprentice. Could even just skip apprentice though and go with a basic membership plugin plus vimeo to keep things super simple. That's how I hosted my first high-ticket courses. Checkout system + membership plugin to give access to a Wordpress page where I embedded Vimeo videos. Super simple. No flashy bells and whistles.
Im fine with pricing for Kajabi, etc. I just want to be able to host videos, memberships, etc as I start to produce online content.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
I use Kajabi for hosting the content and Thrivecart as the front end sales page (way better layout).

If you arent sure about sales starting out probably Teachable is your best low budget option.
No, it's just another tool that lets you host your courses. You can process the payments through your own gateway or through theirs. Either way, it's not like Udemy. You set and control everything and it's not a marketplace.
Interesting. Never knew that about Teachable. Thanks for the info.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
So, right now I use CLickfunnels and Madmimi for my newsletters. If I choose New Zenler or Kajabi or whatever, does that eliminate the need for both? I use CF to host my main website, and I like that i can create other funnels with it also.

Guess I'm looking to simplify but also expand to be able to do video courses/memberships.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Can you use Carrd.co to create landing pages to get people onto email lists, and then promote your course from there?
Not sure, I don't know anything about card.co ! Would have to look into it. Just want all my online stuff to be in one spot and with as few providers, for simplicity's sake

hisamats

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Feb 23, 2019

Hope this is helpful!
Hi @Bekit, do I understand correctly that video hosting is now also offered?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Publish a book to establish yourself as an authority!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.