The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Video Editing Software for YouTube

guaava23

Ready for the FastLane Living!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Feb 25, 2019
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Camtasia has a free version, but it sounds like you are done with it. On PC I’ve had friends that use and like Sony Vega and Adobe Premiere. The good thing about Premiere is you can try before you buy or pay month to month.
It’s too bad you don’t have a Mac. Between ScreenFlow and Final Cut those do everything and fast. I record video and audio separately and it syncs magically with the touch of a button on Final Cut. The audio and video converts and transfers with the same quality to YouTube.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Camtasia has a free version, but it sounds like you are done with it. On PC I’ve had friends that use and like Sony Vega and Adobe Premiere. The good thing about Premiere is you can try before you buy or pay month to month.
It’s too bad you don’t have a Mac. Between ScreenFlow and Final Cut those do everything and fast. I record video and audio separately and it syncs magically with the touch of a button on Final Cut. The audio and video converts and transfers with the same quality to YouTube.

I ended up going with Priemier Pro and really like it although the processing is a bit slow. A million times better tgan Camtasia!

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
For actual screen recording of my tutorials and products i use OBS and for editing i'm using premier pro cc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I ended up going with Priemier Pro and really like it although the processing is a bit slow. A million times better tgan Camtasia!

I think you can adjust the rendering speed by adjusting the resolution of the your video editing window. I think it helps the encode the video timeline faster.

There might be other quick and easy methods for speeding up your workflow in PP

Maybe like this:

mira.d

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 9, 2019
Create by Vidello
- screen recording
- gif creator
- text-to-speech creator
- easy editing
- video/audio/icon/emoji library
- you can change dimension as you like, great for FB ads
- easy to learn but if you want to do some advanced editing then go for Adobe

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@Lex DeVille ... how has OBS and Camtasia sped you up so much?

Well, I would say I need to do more testing, and I also need to add more memory to my computer. But for some reason the crashing, slowness, and A/V sync issues stopped once I combined OBS with Camtasia.

Plus Camtasia production speed is faster than Premier Pro now, so I'm canceling my PP subscription because I don't need it. PP is slower and I can't edit or add special effects as quickly as my preliminary tests in Camtasia.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I've heard Sony Movie Studio if you wanna pay the 50ish/month. Best free one that I've heard from streamers is Davinci Resolve which has been mentioned before.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well, I would say I need to do more testing, and I also need to add more memory to my computer. But for some reason the crashing, slowness, and A/V sync issues stopped once I combined OBS with Camtasia.

Plus Camtasia production speed is faster than Premier Pro now, so I'm canceling my PP subscription because I don't need it. PP is slower and I can't edit or add special effects as quickly as my preliminary tests in Camtasia.
I really like Loom for doing a quick video. The sound quality doesn’t seem great with my setup, although that could be where I’m sat and the laptop.

For videos where I want the best quality and will be editing them then I’ll try Camtasia (for capture as well as editing), and maybe OBS.

aishley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jul 1, 2019
You can also use AfterFocus for editing and giving the final touch before uploading.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I just use Final Cut and record in Quicktime

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I really like Loom for doing a quick video. The sound quality doesn’t seem great with my setup, although that could be where I’m sat and the laptop.

For videos where I want the best quality and will be editing them then I’ll try Camtasia (for capture as well as editing), and maybe OBS.
My sound quality issue was because I selected the wrong audio input. Doh.

I'm back using Loom.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Curious what you're using now @Lex DeVille.

I'm about to get back into video and still have Loom and Camtasia.

Anything good for kids and/or free? The kids are starting to get into video recording and editing (gameplay of Roblox and Minecraft on their laptops). I've asked Camtasia support if there's a license I can use for kids/students just now, but thought I'd ask in the forum too.

I'm checking out Screen Recorder & Video Editor | Screencast-O-Matic

notinuse1245

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 13, 2021

Anything good for kids and/or free? The kids are starting to get into video recording and editing (gameplay of Roblox and Minecraft on their laptops). I've asked Camtasia support if there's a license I can use for kids/students just now, but thought I'd ask in the forum too.

I would suggest OBS for recording. It's free and pretty much the whole gaming YouTube/Streaming scene uses it.
For editing I heard a lot of good things about DaVinci Resolve. They have a free and paid version, but usually the free version is enough

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I would suggest OBS for recording. It's free and pretty much the whole gaming YouTube/Streaming scene uses it.
For editing I heard a lot of good things about DaVinci Resolve. They have a free and paid version, but usually the free version is enough
Thanks. We were watching YouTube videos about OBS this morning. Looked intimidatingly technical to our 11 year old. I'll check it out myself.

Screencast-o-matic looks nice and simple, although we have to pay to edit videos. It seems cheap and easy though. The kids recorded some gameplay and uploaded to their channels yesterday evening.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I am also interested in what others are having success with as I just started doing some YouTube.

I'm using audacity to record audio, Nvidia ShadowPlay to record anything on my screen, and Shotcut to put it all together. I'm doing literally nothing fancy at this point other than putting audio to video, blurring the odd bit of screen, and cutting and speeding up sections of video. I'm sure I'll need to do more advanced stuff sooner rather than later.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I am also interested in what others are having success with as I just started doing some YouTube.

I'm using audacity to record audio, Nvidia ShadowPlay to record anything on my screen, and Shotcut to put it all together. I'm doing literally nothing fancy at this point other than putting audio to video, blurring the odd bit of screen, and cutting and speeding up sections of video. I'm sure I'll need to do more advanced stuff sooner rather than later.

I've gone back to using Camtasia. I record on Logitech Brio, produce in Camtasia, and publish to 1080p. I have Adobe Premier Pro, but don't use it very often because it's kind of slow and not very intuitive, plus I haven't figured out the best combo of settings to publish quickly.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

I use Kdenlive because it's libre and supports linux. It's also available on Windows. The newest version is pretty slick and more stable than prior versions.

Davinci Resolve is also a great option, as others have pointed out, as long as you don't need to do 4K. It's free as well.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

Check out OBS studio for screen / audio recording. You can do both within the same program, and then edit / process the audio in Audacity if you want. It has the ability to record from multiple sources simultaneously (i.e. a webcam, screen capture, and microphone) and apply some basic filters (like noise suppression to get rid of mic hiss).

Kdenlive is good for basic editing, and DaVinci Resolve is good for more advanced stuff.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I still use Sony Vegas Pro, which is just Vegas Pro these days, since Magix took over.

@Andy Black If you want something really basic, and you're not dealing with incredibly large file sizes, then try Canva's video editor. Since it's a browser editor, you have to upload the file to canva and download it afterward, so, better suited for smaller file sizes.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
I've been using the heavy hitters already mentioned in this thread:

- Camtasia
- Premiere Pro
- Davinci Resolve

Premiere is quite demanding on the PC but otherwise I prefer it to all else.
Camtasia is great for people in a rush. Also hasn't ever crashed on me, unlike the others.
Davinci Resolve is free. Haven't used it enough to form an actual opinion on it.

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
I just gotta say, that the people behind Da Vinci, keeps on impressing me. And Im personally gonna dive in, and see if I can live without after effects / premiere pro, for a while, and rely on Da Vinci to cover all my video related needs. And every moment spent getting better in a program like Da Vinci, is a moment well spent - thats something to consider too. You might just find yourself dabbling a bit with color grading, when you find yourself in the vincinity of such powerful tools as you do in this suit. And lets all admit our fetish when it comes to waveform moniotors, and vectorscopes.. no need to hide this - its perfectly abnormal. =)

tatebi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 19, 2022
Another great piece of software that hasn't been mentioned before is Animotica. I like it because it doesn't require specific knowledge or skills, and there's a one-time purchase option for only around $15-20 (i don't remember exactly).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.