The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best niche to start an FBA Business ? (Beauty, Premium Beauty)

A post of a ranting nature...

constantino96

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 7, 2016
Hey my name is Konstantin, coming from germany and I´m 21 y/o.
Already running my own online shop and ebay shop since a couple months in the sneaker niche.

Now I am planning to start with Amazon FBA. I had thought about starting out with an product in the beauty category or premium beauty category.
I already postet some questions in private amazon FB groups but they did not
recommend this niche at all to start with because there are a few law hurdles like Cosmetic Products Notification Portal (CPNP) and high competition.
These are also categories with restriction of authorization by Amazon.
Has someone any experiences in this niche or with this topic ?
I don´t plan do launch just normal
cream but...

P.S. My dad is an pharmacist, so I am a bit familiar with beauty products.

Hope u guys got some suggestions for me :)

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hope u guys got some suggestions for me :)

You didn't really post any questions so I'm not sure what I can offer.

I was in the beauty space. Had a skin cream business on FBA for about a year or so before selling it. I found it very hard (expensive) to compete with the vast amount of big-pocketed competition doing the same thing.

I don't think it's enough to have a good product and good branding. You need excellent, world-class marketing or a product that can offer something genuinely unique.

Don't get me wrong - the top guys on Amazon are likely selling hundreds of units per day. The demand is there and it's huge. But if you'll excuse my language those guys selling hundreds of units per day are really F*cking serious about staying on top and they'll gladly outspend you (among other things) to stay that way. And that's just on Amazon. Most of the guys killing it on Amazon are driving their own external traffic (to both Amazon and their own pages) and they are spending thousands of dollars per month doing it.

Call me pessimistic due to my lack of ability to compete properly in this space but I'd recommend you stay away unless you are damn serious and capable of diving into the waters with the expert marketing sharks in this space. It's not a "list it and pray" kind of category. Even hundreds of 5 star reviews will not make a meaningful blip in those waters.

I was very naive when I entered this space thinking a good product with good reviews and good branding was enough. If I were to do it again (I wouldn't) I'd line up a mentor already making a killing in that space and take their advice very seriously.

Personally I'd rather work in product categories where you can make a meaningful difference with the product.

constantino96

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 7, 2016
You didn't really post any questions so I'm not sure what I can offer.

I was in the beauty space. Had a skin cream business on FBA for about a year or so before selling it. I found it very hard (expensive) to compete with the vast amount of big-pocketed competition doing the same thing.

I don't think it's enough to have a good product and good branding. You need excellent, world-class marketing or a product that can offer something genuinely unique.

Don't get me wrong - the top guys on Amazon are likely selling hundreds of units per day. The demand is there and it's huge. But if you'll excuse my language those guys selling hundreds of units per day are really F*cking serious about staying on top and they'll gladly outspend you (among other things) to stay that way. And that's just on Amazon. Most of the guys killing it on Amazon are driving their own external traffic (to both Amazon and their own pages) and they are spending thousands of dollars per month doing it.

Call me pessimistic due to my lack of ability to compete properly in this space but I'd recommend you stay away unless you are damn serious and capable of diving into the waters with the expert marketing sharks in this space. It's not a "list it and pray" kind of category. Even hundreds of 5 star reviews will not make a meaningful blip in those waters.

I was very naive when I entered this space thinking a good product with good reviews and good branding was enough. If I were to do it again (I wouldn't) I'd line up a mentor already making a killing in that space and take their advice very seriously.

Personally I'd rather work in product categories where you can make a meaningful difference with the product.
Thanks so much for your answer ! Its good to be honest and tell me the truth.
I guess those were the reasons why you sold your business in the this niche, right ?

So this answers my "question" very well, I planed a kind of different product which does not exist in this niche I think so, but maybe I am completely wrong.
Is it possible that we can connect via any social media channel or email ?
I would love to ask you 1-2 questions more about this topic.

I would really appreciate that !

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If it has private info you can PM me. If not, I'm sure the rest of the forum would love to learn about this topic as well.

Up to you.

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
I already postet some questions in private amazon FB groups but they did not
recommend this niche at all to start with
If experienced FBA sellers say you shouldn't do it you should probably listen to them. But besides that I can imagine it is hard to start selling in that category because of regulations and such. Not only that but if the product doesn't work for someone which 50% of the time happens, your at greater risk for low star reviews.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Now I am planning to start with Amazon FBA. I had thought about starting out with an product in the beauty category or premium beauty category.

Read some articles on Ezra Firestone and his Boom! products. He's doing very well in the beauty space.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Read some articles on Ezra Firestone and his Boom! products. He's doing very well in the beauty space.

This echos back what jajt was saying about requiring either masterful marketing skills, deep pockets with cash to burn, or both.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
This echos back what jajt was saying about requiring either masterful marketing skills, deep pockets with cash to burn, or both.

And a good/unique product.

FWIW, my wife has been buying different expensive Korean beauty products. I here that it's catching on. Maybe you can find some inspiration there, with something that isn't being sold here yet.

She gets this face cream made from snail stuff.... I don't get it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.