The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Beer and Pancake Expectations

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
We are looking for some feedback to help with some of the logistics. We realize that there may be some differences in budgets, learning, and nightlife expectations. The costs related to hotels, taxis, meeting rooms and pancakes/beer may vary significantly between the participants.

I would have put this in a poll but there are a few questions. Please provide feedback if you are coming to the meeting and give a darn about what we do. :cheers:

Hotel accomodations can be all over the place depending on your desired outlook. A well located place in the center of activities will cost more than a location that has a room to sleep and a conference room nearby.

One of the options that we currently have is a suite near the airport with pull out beds in the living room. The cost of this is $170 plus tax, etc... There would likely be an airport shuttle for quick easy access. It is not real close to the nightlife areas and would likely require some driving for dinner.

There are some nicer locations that will likely be in the $250-$350 per night range. These would likely require a cab ride ($15) or a car rental. The cost of the conference rooms would likely go up as well. There would be more after hours activities as they would be located closer to the tourist areas of the city.

Also, how much time does everyone want to spend in the meeting rooms vs. social networking? Do we want to spend 12 hours in presentations and the rest of the time eating/drinking/dancing on tables? Or, do we want to maximize the weekend in the classroom for the ultimate brain download?

Speak up!!! We want your input. :smx7:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'l stay at your place =) I plan on driving myself, so give the wife and I a day to recuperate. I think that a maximum on meetings and information would be better than time spent in bars/restaurants/clubs. What do you guys think?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
This is my first time to attend an event such as this. I'm not really interested in the night life too much. I am interested in meeting all of you and sharing ideas. I am also interested in hearing what any speaker has to say. I am really looking at this as a business/networking/inspiration meeting. Possibly generating new ideas. I personally would like the meeting room to be near the hotel.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Runum, anywhere in Phoenix would be close enough. I'm ok with playing chauffeur as long as it's within 20 miles (anywhere 10 miles or so from the airport). There are TONS of options in the greater Phoenix area, Scottsdale, and Tempe. Car rentals should be anywhere in the 20-40 dollar per day range. Just give us a heads up and we can plan around almost anything, I'm sure =)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks Jesse. Your profile says south Texas. You driving up from there or are you renting a car? I don't really have a lot I want to see in the area. Been to Phoenix area as a tourist a couple of times. Also been to the Grand Canyon.

I guess some of you may find my pace a little too slow for you. I can tell you though, I rang in the New Years with the fam at a party at Medieval Times in Dallas. The whole time I am watching the business operation and running numbers in my head as I am trying to have fun. They have a great business model for entertainment. That is the change that has begun to happen to me since associating with you guys. I keep thinking "Why not me?"

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I personally would like the meeting room to be near the hotel.

We would plan on having the meeting room as close as possible to the hotels regardless of the location. It just might cost more for some locations.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Runum, I used to live in Phoenix. I rang in this new year with my wife, our dog, and our cat. I know the greater Phoenix area pretty well, and plan on making the day long trip there for this meetup......assuming I'm allowed to. I never could make it to one of the RD meetups, but this seems like a good event to try and sneak away to. I know the city well enough to pick anyone up from a hotel room and take them to where the meeting is...as well as local diners and the like. Hopefully we'll all get to meet each other. I know that I'm dying to go. The wife and I may be moving to Houston pretty soon, but it's about the same distance from Corpus. I talked with the wife and she would be okay with taking one or two people in the car with us to drive to Phoenix. PM me with any luggage requirements or anything like that. We can sort out gas costs =)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Got it Steve. Well, I am not sure that I am prepared to pay $250-$300 a night for 3 nights in a hotel. I don't want to stay in the roach motel but it would help me to stay in something for around $100-$150 a night or share a room with someone. I am open to suggestions.

reipro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 27, 2007
Lincoln, NE
I vote we have some night life. We do not need to be close to the busy area we can create our own party. I have gained and given as much knowledge over a beer as I have learned or given in the class room probably more over a beer if the truth be known. Look at my picture!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I can handle sitting around a table and discussing things over a beer and shrimp or while shooting a game of pool. Just not into the singles, dance club thing. So I guess my definition of "night life" may be different from others.:)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I'm a fan of the formula we used over the past couple of years.

Thursday night get together for cocktails -- maybe dinner.

Friday 8am to 6pm classroom.
Friday dinner as a group.
Cashflow Games or drinks afterward.

Saturday 8am to 6pm classroom.
Saturday dinner as a group.
Cocktails out afterward in a group where we can talk -- maybe the Phoenician again?

Sunday classes 8am to noon.
Lunch, then head out.

Some stayed around for a Monday flight.
Last year, we toured some high-end properties, thanks to Bio.

I plan on being out there for most of the week, if I can talk the wife into it.

Last edited:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I can handle sitting around a table and discussing things over a beer and shrimp or while shooting a game of pool. Just not into the singles, dance club thing. So I guess my definition of "night life" may be different from others.:)

The places we went to the past couple years were all open-air, sit around a table and talk sorts of places.

I don't drink, so I can be the DD.

Last time SteveO gave me command of his pimp-mobile.:fastlane:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I am coming.
Last year I learned a lot in both ways... at the conf. room and at the 'beer-events'. This year with the introduction of pancakes to the mix I think I can learn even more ;)

JesseO, if you can really drive me around that'd be neat....
Even better if MJ drives me around in that beauty ;) ;) ;)

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I'll be driving out too- so if anyone needs a lift or wants to go site seeing let me know!

As for accomodations, I don't care where I stay- I can make anything work for a couple of nights. Maybe we can get a group rate at a hotel if we all stay there.

As for nightlife, I am most interested in meeting and chatting with you guys. Don't get me wrong- I won't pass up a beer or two if that's where the night is headed!

My hope is that we can all get together and talk about our passions in REI and business until Bob either cuts off our drinking and starts shuttling us back to the hotel or we talk ourselves out and crumple into a heap of exhaustion. Either way I would consider the meeting a success. :smxB:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Last time SteveO gave me command of his pimp-mobile.

So you could run people over and get me into a fight. I know how you work Bobbo...

This year I am in training. Some big races are coming up so no beer for me. :smxD:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yves, if you can also show me around then great... The only time I've been there was for the meetup last March, so I didn't have the chance to see any other places that RDPD's office and the places where we went afterwards for food/beer.

This year I am in training. Some big races are coming up so no beer for me. :smxD:

me no comprendo!!!
SteveO, no beer? :smxD::smxD:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I'm actually not much of a drinker (I know, lives in Napa Valley, go figure . . . )

So really, anyplace I can sit comfortably and chat is cool w/me. :)

-Russ H.

PS Two of our biggest fish from past RD get togethers (as in "drinks like a . . .") are not currently posters on the fastlane. So I'm not sure if that changes things or not . . .

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Friday 8am to 6pm classroom.

Saturday 8am to 6pm classroom.
Sunday classes 8am to noon.

I think the last time I was up at 8am was back in the late 90's. :smxB::sleep:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hey MJ,

I thought you said you were just give us a cameo appearance? Y'know, like shake hands and pose for pictures or something? ;)

You don't need to get up early for that. :sleep:

BTW, I still remain hopeful that you'll consider $100 donations to your favorite charity for you giving the lucky donor a ride around the block (nothing over 30mph) in your orange beastie. :)

-Russ H.

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
I'm in but probably won't be able to get to PHX until Friday Afternoon/ Evening.

I'm down for anything: Drinks, CIGAR BAR!!!

Just want to meet everyone, learn and network.

I agree, let's try to keep the hotel in the $100-150 Range. I only plan on sleeping a few hours in their bed, no need to pay $300 to do that.

Lance

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
After 10 hours of learning a day, it might be a good idea to get out and get some fresh air.

I would like to see a little bit of Phoenix and go out with you guys.

this is a stretch - but if anyone wants to do a football or basketball game that could be fun

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Okay, we have some ideas for my presentation. We also have a couple of speakers that can come along.

Who else?

Where are the other business owners that are not into real estate?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
This is my first meetup event. Is there generally time set aside for round table discussions/brainstorming or is that generally left for chats over a beer?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Excellent....

mrburns.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.