The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

B2B Idea Generation

Idea threads

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
It is interesting that MJ reccomends B2B businesses however most of the ideas generated on here seem to be B2C focused. I wanted to ask if anyone would like to share any useful methods of discovering B2B opportunities. B2C information is everywhere twitter ect. where do you go for B2B? Most people I know of have had "Domain" experience when they started their business, so what are some effective ways to gather information for B2B opportunities without being in the industry? Are trade shows and one on one with business owners the most effective? Interested to see the responses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BJProducer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 2, 2012
Hesperia, CA
I don't have any extensive experience on this subject, but from my own current business, I think the best route for B2B is good ole face to face networking. I've met other business owners and employees through networking events, and just talking more deeply to my customers and working referrals. Even look for online networks too... like Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup. Once you're around someone, you can talk with them and find ways that your service could be useful to their business as a whole.

Even World's Largest Professional Network | LinkedIn is starting to come in handy. I can log in and find all of the major businesses in my area. I simply shoot them a concise, professional email about my service and how it can help and wait for a response. Doesn't take much work at all, but one significant bite from a business rep can really help my sales.

The key in B2B is knowing the benefit right away and being able to present it before they can give you a negative response. B2B requires quick, to the point correspondence because that's what "they're" used to in the big business environment.

Hope this helped at least a little bit. Good luck!

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Are trade shows and one on one with business owners the most effective? Interested to see the responses.

Go to a trade show, with an open mind... You will see a million niches and that will answer your question.

Most people go so they can buy whatever they buy cheaper, or see what new products are out there for there little store. Go with the mindset, how can I get this product into every store.

dubaismartmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 28, 2011
I worked in B2B and in a chamber of commerce in the financial centre of Dubai,

I do believe that the best way to get in b2b is to start in b2c, get a good track record and the biz network

than you can expand.

To many people want to go straight to the dessert before putting the work.

I am a huge believer in the process, and hard work. So put in the hard work and then get the b2b rollin

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Go to a trade show, with an open mind... You will see a million niches and that will answer your question.

Most people go so they can buy whatever they buy cheaper, or see what new products are out there for there little store. Go with the mindset, how can I get this product into every store.

Great thanks for the advice. Does cold calling or surveys work? Ive heard these methods arent as effective because it is difficult to mine out the problems from business owners, any truth to that?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Cold calling works if you just want to know the info quickly instead of guessing..

If the store you are trying sell to carry those novelty spiders,

Call 50 of them and say I can get toy plastic spiders for XXX, if they hang up on you, your idea won't work.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
when brainstorming ideas for b2b, think about businesses and how they get rid of things. How can you make a business out of what businesses are willing to throw away, consider; scrap, need to dispose of without environmental issues, dispose of without confidentiality issues, want to recycle, or just want to get rid of without looking wasteful.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
when brainstorming ideas for b2b, think about businesses and how they get rid of things. How can you make a business out of what businesses are willing to throw away, consider; scrap, need to dispose of without environmental issues, dispose of without confidentiality issues, want to recycle, or just want to get rid of without looking wasteful.

Thanks for the info. Funny you should mention that because I instantly thought of pallets, although correct me if im wrong, I dont believe there is much money in this anymore, they are making them for peanuts now. I used to manage 300 big rigs and no one wants to mess with pallets. I think they only make like $2 bucks profit on a pallet now. Good idea, ill think on it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.