The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Awakening....

Anything related to matters of the mind

Tammy Cox

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 9, 2017
Boston
Decided to post this as a thread....
Awakening...

***7.5.2017***
I've been walking on the sidewalk and driving the slowlane for years.
I've been putting money in my 401K for the past 20 years and have watched it ride a roller coaster. Yep, I drank the kool-aid being peddled by every financial 'guru' and don't seem to be getting anywhere significantly close to an amount I can retire on. I just finished reading a couple of chapters in UNSCRIPTED providing insight to the compound interest. I knew I wasn't realizing any 'value' from compound interest and now I understand why. It doesn't work unless you start with a significant amount of money.

When I was younger, I had ideas - lots of them. I even had a small business, but it was more of a hobby and treated as such. No surprise, it failed. It failed because I didn't know what I was doing. It failed because it was solving my need, not really anyone else's. It failed because I didn't care.

What am I doing now?
I'm working on listening for needs that need to be met. I've started writing down my ideas every day. Some days I don't have any ideas, but that's ok. I anticipate it will take a few months to start seeing progression in more comprehensive and thought-out ideas.
I'm back in training camp.

What do I want?
I'd like to 'retire', but I don't have enough money to do it. I can't, so I won't.
I have a pension and SS, but it's not enough.
I need an additional passive income of $100,000 a year to be 'ok' - and that assumes all debt is paid off.
I want to be more than 'ok', so that means I need at least $5M (assume earning ~ 5% dividend payout).
($1M * .05 = $50K but $5M * .05 = $250K).
My goal to retirement:
In 5 years will have at least $1M.
In 10 years I will have at least $5M.

The question is....How will I get there?

***UPDATE 7.25.2017***
Progress is being made
I've been carrying around a little pocket-sized memo pad. I've been writing down my ideas for about 45 days now. Many of the ideas seem 'silly' to me, but this is the point - just write them down. After writing them down, I now start thinking about HOW could that idea come to fruition. I do some web-based research to determine 1) does that commodity or service exist already, 2) gain a better understanding of the potential market 3) HOW would that commodity or service be designed 4) what are the practical applications of it, and finally 5) HOW excited am I about working on it.

So far, two of my ideas got me excited.
  • Idea A - Yes, there are others in the marketplace already, but I was able to define a differentiator and continued thinking about it. Could I go down this path - Yes. Timeline - probably about ~12 months to market and then not sure how the mobile app would be received.
  • Idea B - Very excited about this one - emerging technology, with large companies looking at it now. Some have launched with real intent to be a market leader, but they are still developing the overall product/service. I see a gap that doesn't appear to be addressed by anyone, yet everyone is or should be aware of the gap. I have filled 10 pages in my notepad so far with "How can I fill the gap" and other options for this particular Idea. I also engaged a couple of fellow techies (whom I trust) in discussion and they have agreed to take a deeper look at this emerging technology. Timeline: 3-5 years. This is not a need YET, but it will be and I want to be the one who fills the gap. I need to do a CENTS, look at writing up an NDA so I can engage others seriously, and keep learning more until I have a better handle on the technology and clear path to fill the gap.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Decided to post this as a thread....
Awakening...

***7.5.2017***
I've been walking on the sidewalk and driving the slowlane for years.
I've been putting money in my 401K for the past 20 years and have watched it ride a roller coaster. Yep, I drank the kool-aid being peddled by every financial 'guru' and don't seem to be getting anywhere significantly close to an amount I can retire on. I just finished reading a couple of chapters in UNSCRIPTED providing insight to the compound interest. I knew I wasn't realizing any 'value' from compound interest and now I understand why. It doesn't work unless you start with a significant amount of money.

When I was younger, I had ideas - lots of them. I even had a small business, but it was more of a hobby and treated as such. No surprise, it failed. It failed because I didn't know what I was doing. It failed because it was solving my need, not really anyone else's. It failed because I didn't care.

What am I doing now?
I'm working on listening for needs that need to be met. I've started writing down my ideas every day. Some days I don't have any ideas, but that's ok. I anticipate it will take a few months to start seeing progression in more comprehensive and thought-out ideas.
I'm back in training camp.

What do I want?
I'd like to 'retire', but I don't have enough money to do it. I can't, so I won't.
I have a pension and SS, but it's not enough.
I need an additional passive income of $100,000 a year to be 'ok' - and that assumes all debt is paid off.
I want to be more than 'ok', so that means I need at least $5M (assume earning ~ 5% dividend payout).
($1M * .05 = $50K but $5M * .05 = $250K).
My goal to retirement:
In 5 years will have at least $1M.
In 10 years I will have at least $5M.

The question is....How will I get there?

***UPDATE 7.25.2017***
Progress is being made
I've been carrying around a little pocket-sized memo pad. I've been writing down my ideas for about 45 days now. Many of the ideas seem 'silly' to me, but this is the point - just write them down. After writing them down, I now start thinking about HOW could that idea come to fruition. I do some web-based research to determine 1) does that commodity or service exist already, 2) gain a better understanding of the potential market 3) HOW would that commodity or service be designed 4) what are the practical applications of it, and finally 5) HOW excited am I about working on it.

So far, two of my ideas got me excited.
  • Idea A - Yes, there are others in the marketplace already, but I was able to define a differentiator and continued thinking about it. Could I go down this path - Yes. Timeline - probably about ~12 months to market and then not sure how the mobile app would be received.
  • Idea B - Very excited about this one - emerging technology, with large companies looking at it now. Some have launched with real intent to be a market leader, but they are still developing the overall product/service. I see a gap that doesn't appear to be addressed by anyone, yet everyone is or should be aware of the gap. I have filled 10 pages in my notepad so far with "How can I fill the gap" and other options for this particular Idea. I also engaged a couple of fellow techies (whom I trust) in discussion and they have agreed to take a deeper look at this emerging technology. Timeline: 3-5 years. This is not a need YET, but it will be and I want to be the one who fills the gap. I need to do a CENTS, look at writing up an NDA so I can engage others seriously, and keep learning more until I have a better handle on the technology and clear path to fill the gap.
Keep writing as much ..... as you build your basic insights into the idea you want.

3-5 years for me is a time to review and 'too much long.

Ask what's best to do right here and now and start building a sufficiently detailed plan but not too much.

It is important because without it all will be only a wish and not a goal.

Use a different approach to time and get out of your comfort zone.

Have a good journey.

Tammy Cox

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 9, 2017
Boston
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the insight, especially with needing to get out of my comfort zone. Point taken - I will start defining the business plan (loosely). Perhaps a bit of clarification on the 3-5 year timeline - Since this is an emerging technology, the 'critical mass' won't be there for 3-5 years. That means I better be ready for it before the 3-year mark hits. Realistically, it should take 12-18 month to develop the software integration needed to converse between disparate platforms (the emerging technology and applications x, y & z). This is not a trivial effort, but will take several of us working nites (after our day jobs are over) and weekends too.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It doesn't work unless you start with a significant amount of money.

Or time, problem is, 50 years is rarely enough.

And yet, when the steward tells the Titanic passengers, "Don't worry, a rescue boat will be arriving in 6 hours!" they buy the relative truth never taking into consideration they only have 2 hours.

Tammy Cox

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 9, 2017
Boston
Been about a month since I've been online - but that doesn't mean things haven't progressed. Regular job (the one that is paying the bills and supporting the family) and some prior personal commitments required focus in August.
I took a suggestion from a Fastlane Forum INSIDERS to build a loose Business Plan, which will helped flesh out the ideas. As I was doing this, a new path came into view that targets the public sector (my original idea focused on the private sector).

UPDATE:
1) Completed the UML for the public sector path
2) Completed the 'loose' Business Plan
3) Determine key dates for objectives
4) Company Standup Progress:
  • Company Name - COMPLETED​
  • I apparently live in the most expensive state for filing an LLC and for annual maintenance (not surprised - since our nickname is TAXachusetts).​
  • I will hire a company to do all the paperwork ($149 + all the state fees) - In PROCESS​
  • I will do my local town paperwork myself (yes, everyone wants a piece of the action) - DEPENDENCY on LLC filing completion​
  • Secure the domain names - COMPLETED​
5) AWS for the hosting platform - IN PROCESS
  • Easy enough to spin up v/m's, but need to get a better grasp on storage / capacity requirements.
6) Will focus on a few mobile apps first, which would hopefully bring in some $$
7) I need to learn the mobile app programming language
  • Brushing up on java in the meantime
  • Need to learn SWIFT - there are some great free web-based courses I've found
8) Now, I need to buy a new computer (other died, had it up and running again for about a week, then it shit the bed)
  • Fortunately, I can get a discount on a new one through my current employer

Tammy Cox

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 9, 2017
Boston
***UPDATE 10.17.2017***
9 Summers Technologies, LLC is officially registered as a Massachusetts Company now!
...why 9 Summers? because that's how long I'm giving myself to retire as a multi-millionaire
Restating my goal to retirement:
In 5 years will have at least $1M. This is the long lead as the LLC develops, fine tunes and grows.
In 10 years I will have at least $5M. We'll take a look at where the technologies are heading, what we've been able to contribute, if there is purpose to continue or an opportunity for buyout or liquidation.​

Current Progress (remember I have a full-time job already):
New computer purchased, all necessary software/dev kits are installed.
I've been going through the training on how to navigate the dev kits and perform various functions.
GOAL: Increase the amount of available time to dedicate to LLC to be at least 20-30hrs a week.
GOAL: training & practicing portion completed by end of year, which also includes brushing up my programming languages.
GOAL: In January, I start the actual dev on my apps with first app published by end of Q1 2018.

Tammy Cox

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 9, 2017
Boston
Update 12/21/2017:
This will be my final update of 2017. I'm on vacation from my real job (you know, the one that is paying the bills) for 3 weeks. Since my last update, there's been some activity and I've not been very diligent in keeping up with the forum. I spent time brushing up on java and python - it was needed since it's not part of my normal work. I have an NDA with another engineer and we have shared ideas. One brainstorming session led to an area that I had not even previously considered - Augmented Reality. We are now both actively working our collaboration and should have a prototype in early Q2 2018. I think we'd have one sooner than that if I had any prior experience with the platforms and that type of coding. So, between the mandatory holiday time with friends and family, I am learning a new software platform. It's pretty exciting and I'm looking forward to continued progress in the endeavor. I will update again early next year. Happy holidays to everyone at Fastlane Forum and I wish us all a prosperous 2018!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.