The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Autonomous cars taking away our jobs?

AlphaWulf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Aug 8, 2016
Lots of talk of autonomous cars and AI lately. The general consensus seems to be that self-driving cars will replace lots of jobs.

Taxis. Truck drivers. Delivery drivers.

But I found this article that says otherwise.

Autonomous Cars Are Coming, But Not For Your Job

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
That article just about sums it up better than I ever could :).

In regards to driverless cars: I was thinking; if they break down, who comes and picks them up? Can you have driverless/autonomous recovery vehicles? What about a driverless Ambulance? or even Firetrucks?

The AI factor is also very interesting, did you see the articles about the finance business in Japan that replaced 37(?) staff with AI? And, one of Apple's factories (Foxconn? I forget the name) has basically replaced all of its labour with robots.

Nathan Monroe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 27, 2016
USA
I think it will be interesting to see how the law affects these vehicles in the future; both in commercial in private use. Laws are frequently behind on technology, I just wonder how much our oh so competent government will poo-poo on this great advancement by imposing its inevitable regulations.

upload_2017-1-12_10-31-15.png

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
If I build some capital, I wouldn't mind investing in some type of autonomous vehicles that just drive people around using uber. So there's opportunities everywhere in this upcoming market.

Nathan Monroe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 27, 2016
USA
If I build some capital, I wouldn't mind investing in some type of autonomous vehicles that just drive people around using uber. So there's opportunities everywhere in this upcoming market.

It's amazing how "cheap" you can get into one of these. I think a bottom of the line Tesla was around $40G? Amazing.

My Honda Pilot cost that much when I bought it...

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
It's amazing how "cheap" you can get into one of these. I think a bottom of the line Tesla was around $40G? Amazing.

My Honda Pilot cost that much when I bought it...

Be careful, remember the concept about the barriers of entry. SO many people will think the same thing and just buy one vehicle and hope for the best. When i meant capital i meant upward 6 figures to invest into this so i can have a fleet and be capable of covering a certain area like an airport or bus station and keeping the price lower than the competitors so I can push them out.

Nathan Monroe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 27, 2016
USA
Be careful, remember the concept about the barriers of entry. SO many people will think the same thing and just buy one vehicle and hope for the best. When i meant capital i meant upward 6 figures to invest into this so i can have a fleet and be capable of covering a certain area like an airport or bus station and keeping the price lower than the competitors so I can push them out.

Oh I wasn't talking about business. Just been thinking about getting one myself.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Oh I wasn't talking about business. Just been thinking about getting one myself.

Lol, Yeah me too. I'm waiting till i can buy one in full price.. no more consumer loans for me!

Nathan Monroe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 27, 2016
USA
Lol, Yeah me too. I'm waiting till i can buy one in full price.. no more consumer loans for me!

I like that software upgrade (ludicrous mode or insane mode?). When I checked it was like $10g just to ship the car with upgraded software for better performance (not economy). Neat idea. Spiffy up you software, sell it as "fast, or new, or anything...just spin it. Then slap a $10g price tag on it....haha

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
That article just about sums it up better than I ever could :).

In regards to driverless cars: I was thinking; if they break down, who comes and picks them up? Can you have driverless/autonomous recovery vehicles? What about a driverless Ambulance? or even Firetrucks?

The AI factor is also very interesting, did you see the articles about the finance business in Japan that replaced 37(?) staff with AI? And, one of Apple's factories (Foxconn? I forget the name) has basically replaced all of its labour with robots.

1) Yep, you can have a driverless recovery truck, which won't even need a human to tell it one is broken down.

2) Yep to driverless ambulance. For the foreseeable future there will still be a paramedic in the back. But the ambulance will be busy calculating the fastest route and dealing with traffic while the paramedic treats the injured.

3) Fire truck, same deal ambulance, but less need for fire fighters (not no need, just reduced). The firetruck in theory could pick up hotspots in the house and do what was needed to put it out.

When we were farmers, we built machines that where better at farming. So we went to work in the factories to make stuff.

Then we built robots which were better than us at making stuff. So we all went to work in the services sector. Then we built computers that were better than us at that, too.

I wonder what the next human-redundancy invention we will come up with. So far each iteration has improved quality of life while still "taking our jobs"

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I said a lot about this already in the other thread, but...

I think there will be massive opportunities with self-driving cars for those that choose to see it as an opportunity. For Joe Blow taxi driver though, yeah...he's gonna be taking another job somewhere else.

Of course the best solution for anything that "takes our jobs" is to not need a job at all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.