The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Attracting investors: Is a website mockup worth it?

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hey! Today I designed how a possible website would look for my idea by hand on five A4 papers. I included for example what would the header look like and what do some of the features do. But I dont know if paying a freelancer (average 100 dollars) is worth it for getting a good looking mockup for presenting it to a potential investor and explaining what my app/website idea is all about. The website is something along the lines of airbnb.com website.

Also, How risky is posting a very good idea on fundraising websites? Explaning everything in a place everyone can read? I know that the idea itself is not that worth it, but the execution. But someone with a lot of money can potentially do it faster than me.

Where can I try finding investors for something like this? I dont want a lot of exposure.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Why would you need investors? Why not just make the website? If you need money because you can't code PHP then why not learn PHP and do it yourself?

It's important to have some understanding of what you're doing. I mean you've got to know the basics such as website templates. It's like opening a restaurant when you don't have a clue about cooking.

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Why would you need investors? Why not just make the website? If you need money because you can't code PHP then why not learn PHP and do it yourself?

It's important to have some understanding of what you're doing. I mean you've got to know the basics such as website templates. It's like opening a restaurant when you don't have a clue about cooking.
Its not php only. Is is quite a complex website. I would need to learn ruby on rails, html, css and javascript. And not just the language basics, I would need to become a pro on these.

I do have a clue in programming anyways. I understand the basics. I did quite a few courses on programming languages

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
This is a no brainer to me. Why wouldn't you create a mockup/prototype.

Most people will be much more impressed to see what the thing actually looks like.

It all about image and coming across as professional. Not all investors are sophisticated with web and technology. A mockup can be used to convey the idea that you have a near finished product or have spent lot more money on it.

A $50 template or clone app can look as professional as some $1bn corporation websites.

They don't know what stage of development, or how much time/money you've spent (it could have taken you a weekend) - but a lot of them will be impressed to see a polished mockup or vaporware than some sketches on the back of a napkin.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
What you need are users. Investors won't be willing to invest in something that hasn't been tested by the market. You could try anyway with the mockup and see what the investors say but without users/numbers it's hard to pitch an idea.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Its not php only. Is is quite a complex website. I would need to learn ruby on rails, html, css and javascript. And not just the language basics, I would need to become a pro on these.

I do have a clue in programming anyways. I understand the basics. I did quite a few courses on programming languages

Investors don't need you. What value do you provide? What's your past experience? They are going to look at these things. You'll probably spend 1-2 years pitching to people and failing when you could've programmed everything yourself in a few months.

Would you pitch an idea of a restaurant without any experience in the restaurant business? What about opening a construction business with no experience in construction? Why is what you're doing any different?

While pitching I would learn programming on the side if you're serious about this and get it done yourself. Use all the APIs you can to just get it done. Are you sure you can't use something like Wordpress to do this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I am llearning programming too. I just dont expect to do anything by myself. I provide the idea, the mvp.
Investors don't need you. What value do you provide? What's your past experience? They are going to look at these things. You'll probably spend 1-2 years pitching to people and failing when you could've programmed everything yourself in a few months.

Would you pitch an idea of a restaurant without any experience in the restaurant business? What about opening a construction business with no experience in construction? Why is what you're doing any different?

While pitching I would learn programming on the side if you're serious about this and get it done yourself. Use all the APIs you can to just get it done. Are you sure you can't use something like Wordpress to do this?

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
I am llearning programming too. I just dont expect to do anything by myself. I provide the idea, the mvp.

Ok so if your pitches fail what are you going to do? What's your backup plan? Why don't they take your idea and hire a team of programmers themselves? Why do they need you?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.