The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Atlas Shrugged

For any book discussion

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is one of the all time great books every entrepreneur should read. It is a fictional novel, but with philosophical and economic principles. I rate it as one of my top 5. Has anyone else read it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A long time ago ... should be required reading for all students.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
A long time ago ... should be required reading for all students.

I agree, but big kids really need it too. There is an enormous amount of wisdom to be had from this book as it relates to free markets and economics.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
many many moons ago. that and Fountainhead are terrific reads.

interestingly enough (but nothing to do with economics), Ayn Rand's favorite author was Dostoyevsky who wrote Crime and Punishment, which happens to be my favorite book of all time.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
many many moons ago. that and Fountainhead are terrific reads.

interestingly enough (but nothing to do with economics), Ayn Rand's favorite author was Dostoyevsky who wrote Crime and Punishment, which happens to be my favorite book of all time.

One of my favorites.. I read Atlas Shrugged in hebrew under a different name, and only recently came to know how succesful and widespread it is.

I think it is awesome they are making a movie out of it - maybe this way the ideas will be more accessible to people. (altough the trailer completely wrecked the image of the characters I had in mind from the book! bastards)

About Crime and Punishment, it just happens that I started reading it yesterday =)

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Yes, I finally read it last year for the first time. Can't believe no one made me read it before. Definitely on my Top 5 list! Spooky the parallels to today's environment. So many things that sound so outrageous in the book have come to fruition. Hard to discuss here, tho, without getting political. But I agree that is should be required reading.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Im a fan of her through her interviews on youtube with Phil donahue and that sort of stuff. I have not got around to that but Mark Cuban said The Fountainhead changed his life, my friend had the book, i borrowed it, but have not had the time to read it yet. Has anyone read The Fountainhead?

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
Atlas Shrugged is quite possibly the greatest fiction book ever written. This 1,000-page monster could easily be renamed to the Bible of Capitalism.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Altlas Shrugged was a bit too long-winded for me but the Fountainhead was read in a single sitting in 48 hours straight without sleep. That's how shocked and drawn in I was in 2006 when I read it. Great book - impossible heroes with iron will and unshakable morals.

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
I loved the book, but I'm not going to see the movie. I felt let down after watching the trailer because the acting and characters were not how I pictured them in the book. I know, that's a common reaction when you read the book first, and watch the movie later. Also, I don't think they're going to make all three parts, and it would be wretched to watch part of a movie only to never see the end.

StartUp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 21, 2011
Reading the book right now... Truly amazing

One of my favorite quotes- "Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to become the means by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of other men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice--there is no other."

C

chudnovsky

everyone should be required to read both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged... but I also see how many could misunderstand or take too seriously some of Ayn Rand's ideas and concepts

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Just finished it. Most powerful book I've ever read. Feels like it added another layer of fortitude to my mind in the name of virtuous progress. $
Ayn Rand said:
"In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst. In the name of the values that keep you alive, do not let your vision of man be distorted by the ugly, the cowardly, the mindless in those who have never achieved his title. Do not lose your knowledge that man’s proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it’s yours.

“But to win it requires your total dedication and a total break with the world of your past, with the doctrine that man is a sacrificial animal who exists for the pleasure of others. Fight for the value of your person. Fight for the virtue of your pride. Fight for the essence of that which is man: for his sovereign rational mind. Fight with the radiant certainty and the absolute rectitude of knowing that yours is the Morality of Life and that yours is the battle for any achievement, any value, any grandeur, any goodness, any joy that has ever existed on this earth.

“You will win when you are ready to pronounce the oath I have taken at the start of my battle—and for those who wish to know the day of my return, I shall now repeat it to the hearing of the world:

“I swear—by my life and my love of it—that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
i never read it, i just watched the movies when i had time. they were kinda great.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009