The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Answer(s) to the first question: My wife has discovered to do arbitrage and she's a stay-at-home mom. I came in to help her (us) with the business. Also, it keeps me from working 2 jobs in the meantime and gives me the freedom to come home and spend time with my kids at least in the meantime and provide the means to have extra time in the evenings to do business. I also like doing eCommerce as well coming from a street-learned IT background.

Answer to the 2nd question: About the Craigslist business, my wife has also started that about 5 years ago and we haven't been able to get the business off the ground yet. It'll take a minute to explain the idea we have. But in order to franchise this business to other states (franchising), we kinda need a cash-flow system that'll provide support. Can't find any other way of cash-flowing this and we're not going to go back to loans and credit cards. Filed bankruptcy, twice because of it along with foreclosure, short sale and repo of my car. So in the meantime, we're putting our first business (Classified Convenience: www.clacov.com, still need some revisions, work etc.) on the back burner for now. "If interested in checking our website out, feel free to do so. It'll explain more in detail about our online business model"

Hope this explains what we're trying to do, if not, I'll wait for your comment.

So you are trying to franchise a business that doesn't make any money? Kinda seems like you are doing this backwards.

Or am I understanding it wrong. Your business makes money right now but you need more money to do the franchising paperwork?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What are some of the biggest technical issues you've had creating an e-commerce website?

There aren't many technical issues if you use a hosted cart. Then the only techy stuff you need to know is HTML or php to customize your template. Or just purchase a template and you don't need to know any coding.

If you go selfhosted, then you'd need to know a lot more tech stuff like hosting, FTP, SSL, HTML, php and some light overall server and email setup knowledge.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Can you explain why not?
(Just curious)

As a consumer, if I have to wait more than 3 days for shipping I'm not buying your stuff. You can thank Amazon for spoiling me.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
As a consumer, if I have to wait more than 3 days for shipping I'm not buying your stuff. You can thank Amazon for spoiling me.

I had an eBay customer railing on me because I took 2 days from payment to ship his item.

I didn't apologize, as that's still pretty reasonable.

Amazon is raising the bar of customer expectations for sure.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I had an eBay customer railing on me because I took 2 days from payment to ship his item.

I only say that because my impression of drop shipping is 2+ week shipping from China. In 2017, I'm not waiting that long unless it's a custom design or handmade item on Etsy.

Not saying it's the right mentality to have, but it's what customers expect.

Tarma

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 2, 2017
Italy
I'm torn.

I'm not sure about starting an eCommerce and importing some product, leveraging Amazon FBA or just do the fulfillment and marketing myself. The goal is to build a brand and a cashflow system.

Let's put this into perspective, using some CENTS.

With Amazon:

CONTROL - Not much, if I build a business solely using Amazon's FBA and anything happens, I'm pretty much screwed.

ENTRY - Lower barrier, fierce competition. This is my deal breaker. My education is in marketing and yes, I know how create compelling Value Propositions, but I have ZERO experience in eCommerce. Do I really know how to deliver something better that the rest of the world? I doubt it. Especially if I'm going to sell on the U.S. marketplace. I sense a huge red flag.

NEED - Self-explanatory.

TIME - Well, here Amazon is a winner. No inventory, no shipping, and (I'm guessing here, correct me if I'm wrong) a good deal of marketing removed from the equation. Also Customer Service, Refunds, all handled by Amazon.

SCALE - Pretty Awesome. I live in Italy, so scaling is a big concern for me. With Amazon I got to choose between 3 big markets: U.S., U.K. and Germany. I'll have a much greater audience and therefore volume of traffic and sales.

BONUS: PRODUCTOCRACY - Amazon's reviews system is a clear pull.

Without Amazon:

CONTROL - Complete control.

ENTRY - Higher barrier of entry. Fulfillment enters the equation. Marketing costs has to be accounted. I have to build the eCommerce. I'll have accessory monthly expenses (Shopify + Apps + Marketing tools). On the other hand, since I will only sell in Italy, the competition is DRASTICALLY lower, making the NEED way easier to satisfy. A saturated market in the U.S. might still be a blue ocean here.

NEED - See above.

TIME - All shipping will be done by myself. This is a big commitment. Although, that doesn't scare me, I have to consider that this won't be my only business (but hopefully, will replace the one I have now). Also, Customer Service: complains, refunds, all will be handled by me. I am a huge fan of excellent customer service, so I know I'll dedicate all the time necessary to it, even at the cost of neglecting other issues.

SCALE - Not so good. I will be stuck serving the Italian market, at least at the beginning. The Italian market is, generally, less receptive (see below).

BONUS: PRODUCTOCRACY - No reviews from Amazon. Italian consumers don't trust online purchasing like US consumers. US consumers are more accustomed to giving reviews and feedback, plus they tend to be more objective.

I have a feel in my gut: if it's harder, it's probably the right way.
I could use HelpMYDecision for this but, honestly, I'd really like to know what an experienced entrepreneur who is familiar with Amazon think about this.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY
So you are trying to franchise a business that doesn't make any money? Kinda seems like you are doing this backwards.

Or am I understanding it wrong. Your business makes money right now but you need more money to do the franchising paperwork?

No my clacov business is not bringing any money as of yet. My eBay/Amazon business is bring in little money for now but not much, but it's something at least. We're still in the newbie phase for this part.

As far as franchising, I'm going to test the market locally in FL before I start franchising to other states first. As soon as we get enough profit coming in from Clacov (temporary name), we can write up the framework and then franchise it to other states.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I'm surprised that you would take so long and think it is reasonable. As a customer I would be mad too.

2 days (business days) is too long. I ship out almost everything same day. I never ship out more than 24 hours later unless it's a weekend.

We are competing on customer service now in the ecommerce world.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm torn.

I'm not sure about starting an eCommerce and importing some product, leveraging Amazon FBA or just do the fulfillment and marketing myself. The goal is to build a brand and a cashflow system.

Let's put this into perspective, using some CENTS.

With Amazon:

CONTROL - Not much, if I build a business solely using Amazon's FBA and anything happens, I'm pretty much screwed.

ENTRY - Lower barrier, fierce competition. This is my deal breaker. My education is in marketing and yes, I know how create compelling Value Propositions, but I have ZERO experience in eCommerce. Do I really know how to deliver something better that the rest of the world? I doubt it. Especially if I'm going to sell on the U.S. marketplace. I sense a huge red flag.

NEED - Self-explanatory.

TIME - Well, here Amazon is a winner. No inventory, no shipping, and (I'm guessing here, correct me if I'm wrong) a good deal of marketing removed from the equation. Also Customer Service, Refunds, all handled by Amazon.

SCALE - Pretty Awesome. I live in Italy, so scaling is a big concern for me. With Amazon I got to choose between 3 big markets: U.S., U.K. and Germany. I'll have a much greater audience and therefore volume of traffic and sales.

BONUS: PRODUCTOCRACY - Amazon's reviews system is a clear pull.

Without Amazon:

CONTROL - Complete control.

ENTRY - Higher barrier of entry. Fulfillment enters the equation. Marketing costs has to be accounted. I have to build the eCommerce. I'll have accessory monthly expenses (Shopify + Apps + Marketing tools). On the other hand, since I will only sell in Italy, the competition is DRASTICALLY lower, making the NEED way easier to satisfy. A saturated market in the U.S. might still be a blue ocean here.

NEED - See above.

TIME - All shipping will be done by myself. This is a big commitment. Although, that doesn't scare me, I have to consider that this won't be my only business (but hopefully, will replace the one I have now). Also, Customer Service: complains, refunds, all will be handled by me. I am a huge fan of excellent customer service, so I know I'll dedicate all the time necessary to it, even at the cost of neglecting other issues.

SCALE - Not so good. I will be stuck serving the Italian market, at least at the beginning. The Italian market is, generally, less receptive (see below).

BONUS: PRODUCTOCRACY - No reviews from Amazon. Italian consumers don't trust online purchasing like US consumers. US consumers are more accustomed to giving reviews and feedback, plus they tend to be more objective.

I have a feel in my gut: if it's harder, it's probably the right way.
I could use HelpMYDecision for this but, honestly, I'd really like to know what an experienced entrepreneur who is familiar with Amazon think about this.

Thanks!

You are comparing 2 different things here that aren't in the same ballpark.
1) Selling on Amazon to US customers.
2) Selling on your website to customers in Italy

If I had to choose I'd sell to US customers on Amazon because the market is much larger.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
No my clacov business is not bringing any money as of yet. My eBay/Amazon business is bring in little money for now but not much, but it's something at least. We're still in the newbie phase for this part.

As far as franchising, I'm going to test the market locally in FL before I start franchising to other states first. As soon as we get enough profit coming in from Clacov (temporary name), we can write up the framework and then franchise it to other states.

This is what I don't understand. How do you even think of franchising something without even one successful location?

You don't even know if this business is successful and you are talking about franchising it. You don't just "test" your market with your business. You start your business in your market and grow it.

This is what you've said so far.

I want to arbitrage on Ebay to make money to pay for the franchising costs for a business that is currently not making money.

I think your thought process about this is all wrong here.

qaerst

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 13, 2017
Antarctica
Can you explain what you meant by Shopify dropshipping?
Dropshipping via Aliexpress and making your website with Shopify.
(My question wasn't constructed good enough , sorry)

JByers210

Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Apr 14, 2017
United States
I've found a product to majorly Improve compared to the other products being sold. There are only 6 competitors but they have around 20-30 reviews each and when I pulled up my amazon equivalent of jungle scout, it showed they all are profiting 1K a month. I've already bought samples but I'd like to know what you think. Is this a good place to be with such little competition and not being such a well known item? Is the best way to find out just selling it and seeing the results?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Dropshipping via Aliexpress and making your website with Shopify.
(My question wasn't constructed good enough , sorry)

Yes, the value proposition is very low. You are selling a product that any other store can sell. Your delivery times are 1-2 weeks. You don't know or understand your product at all. Your store has no advantage whatsoever.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've found a product to majorly Improve compared to the other products being sold. There are only 6 competitors but they have around 20-30 reviews each and when I pulled up my amazon equivalent of jungle scout, it showed they all are profiting 1K a month. I've already bought samples but I'd like to know what you think. Is this a good place to be with such little competition and not being such a well known item? Is the best way to find out just selling it and seeing the results?

If your are majorly improving the product then you shouldn't have a problem. The question is are you really majorly improving it or do you just think you are?

dbx286

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Aug 13, 2016
I wholly agree with aliexpress+woocommerce/shopify not being a bright idea. But do you guys think it could serve as a starting point towards something better?

I am in a boat with very less liquid assets and just looking to scale up from scratch. Would you still think I should avoid aliexpress dropshipping model and look for better options?

I already have a bit of experience promoting affiliate products through social media/seo.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I wholly agree with aliexpress+woocommerce/shopify not being a bright idea. But do you guys think it could serve as a starting point towards something better?

I am in a boat with very less liquid assets and just looking to scale up from scratch. Would you still think I should avoid aliexpress dropshipping model and look for better options?

I already have a bit of experience promoting affiliate products through social media/seo.

Doing something is always better than doing nothing. But just understand that it will be a tough grind because everyone else is doing the same thing. When you have a constraint like limited funds, you need to think outside the box and not just jump into the same box as everyone else.

Tarma

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Aug 2, 2017
Italy
You are comparing 2 different things here that aren't in the same ballpark.
1) Selling on Amazon to US customers.
2) Selling on your website to customers in Italy

If I had to choose I'd sell to US customers on Amazon because the market is much larger.

Thanks @biophase !

Would you recommend branding your product for someone who is just starting selling on Amazon?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Find the hustle threads and do that to build capital while starting. Fail fast. Learn.
If you wait until everything is ready, you will never start. Start. Crash and burn. Learn. Then about the time you have it figured out, you will time up with your hustle funds and have the capital you need to do it right.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, I give up. What do you think I should do? I'm a man lost in the world of entrepreneurship. :(

I think you should concentrate on where you can provide value. Use that as your measuring stick for starting a business.

And don't get too far ahead of yourself. Everything is one step at a time.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
What's your experience with going out of stock and losing the buybox to yourself by raising prices to severely?

I'm learning my first lesson now. I'm about to run out of stock and have been inching a little by little upwards and it has had no effect on sales. I have about 1/2 day worth of inventory left and I raised prices again and it resulted in more sales immediately afterwards.

I'm thinking about raising it a full $5 which is 25% of the price but I have heard if you raise too drastically you'll lose the buybox which will basically wipe out my status I'd rather run out in that case instead of get ghosted on my own listing.

FWIW, I didn't put a suggested MSRP so they really don't know how much my product is worth aside from me and my competitors sales numbers.

I'm trying to stretch it out at least 2 more days my shipment should hit the amazon warehouse tomorrow. Maybe another 1-2 days to get sorted.

Kastosaurus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 28, 2016
the Netherlands
Initially hesitant to write this reply, but here I go.

Three weeks ago I launched a web shop selling drones (drop shipping). So far I've had low traffic, and disappointing sales. Margins are low, and looking at the monthly expenses to run the web site, the project is operating at a loss.

I've been doing three (low budget) adword campaigns, which gives me around 50 visitors a day. However, conversion sucks.. Also, I've added 4 blog posts to boost engagement and SEO, and added a free ebook with every sale. Minor results.

Considering the 'fail fast' mantra, do you think this is the time to cut losses and move on? Could you perhaps give the site a quick glance and perhaps tell me where I'm going wrong? www.dumfoozle.com

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I'm surprised that you would take so long and think it is reasonable. As a customer I would be mad too.

2 days (business days) is too long. I ship out almost everything same day. I never ship out more than 24 hours later unless it's a weekend.

We are competing on customer service now in the ecommerce world.

Shipping out same day is a great goal.

I use Amazon 3rd party shipping for all eBay orders, automatically fulfilled through Shipstation. Generally takes 1-2 business days to get out. I have no control over the speed, but I don't do enough volume through eBay to want to bring it in house (and maintain separate inventory).

Fast n' Free ship dates are listed on the listing with expected delivery times, and it's almost always delivered in that time window.

He's the first customer in months to complain about shipping speed. I've got 100% positive feedback. I'm not sure if most eBay customers mind.

laurenaria10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 8, 2017
Slat Lake City USA
hi i am running a google shopping campaign for usa region but now with the same product and price i have to start my business for australia region. So can anyone suggest me the steps that i should follow for launching my G.shopping campaign.

kutlarvadisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2015
Hi
First I want to thank @biophase for his generosity in sharing his knowledge
Last month I launched my first product but I have a problem with traffic, my listing doesn't get a lot of traffic(I started Amazon Ad from the first week): 33 sessions from 07/27/2017 to 08/15/2017 with 2 sales(2$ in profit)
Now I Lower My price (at Breakeven)
Can you advise me how can I increase the number of sessions

Thank you guys

laurenaria10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 8, 2017
Slat Lake City USA
Hi
First I want to thank @biophase for his generosity in sharing his knowledge
Last month I launched my first product but I have a problem with traffic, my listing doesn't get a lot of traffic(I started Amazon Ad from the first week): 33 sessions from 07/27/2017 to 08/15/2017 with 2 sales(2$ in profit)
Now I Lower My price (at Breakeven)
Can you advise me how can I increase the number of sessions

Thank you guys
why you are not trying google shopping instead of amazon because in many top selling products store amazon add their product with low price as compare to others and also keep their listing high as compare to other and further more you are also on risk due to unnecessary users complains so i will suggest you to Google Shopping and i will also guide you detail that how to launch it.
However if you are getting low sales with then i will suggest you a technique that i have experienced.
1- List down your top selling brands and their top selling products.
2- Sort top selling products according to the high price to low price.
3- Select the peak conversion times.
4- Push high price top selling products with high advertising budget.
because with high price products you get high volume of profit and it worked for me.

kutlarvadisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2015
Thank you so much I will try Google Shopping and see what the result
why you are not trying google shopping instead of amazon because in many top selling products store amazon add their product with low price as compare to others and also keep their listing high as compare to other and further more you are also on risk due to unnecessary users complains so i will suggest you to Google Shopping and i will also guide you detail that how to launch it.
However if you are getting low sales with then i will suggest you a technique that i have experienced.
1- List down your top selling brands and their top selling products.
2- Sort top selling products according to the high price to low price.
3- Select the peak conversion times.
4- Push high price top selling products with high advertising budget.
because with high price products you get high volume of profit and it worked for me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.