The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask a personal trainer anything

Ask me anything!

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm not going crazy I don't think...
K3X5Pdf.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Without steroids that's just overtraining to the max.

No. I'm sure I could find studies to show it's more effective.

You have to split it up so you aren't doing the same muscle group or same type of exercise every single day.

If you were training heavy (85-95% of your 1 rep max) you'd fry your CNS (Central Nervous System)

If you know how to properly periodize your routines along with solid nutrition and plenty of rest, 2 a days are godly..

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I'm not going crazy I don't think...
K3X5Pdf.png
All I can think about now is how this spider got there.
Actually, sometimes in the winter I find these exact same giant-a$$ wolf spiders crawling across my floor. I love spiders, but these guys can scare the shit out of me.
I've never thought they would get into the internet.
Gives a whole new meaning to "web crawler"

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Going to answer a few questions here Mark Anthony, this is just my view of things. Kind of using this more to answer if these questions where asked towards me personally when i got my site online.
I don't understand this.

You have a pretty average physique.
Not everyone trains for size.
Most high level athletes and the strongest people in the world look like crap, while having more effective bodies than the rest, as they are the best of the world after all.

Why would anyone even pay for personal training with you when there are millions of other more certified trainers?
Having a certification does not mean you actually know how to teach.
I personally would rather have someone that knows how to teach than someone that followed an online course and got a few letters after their name.
- As after all, most fitness certificates can be obtained with a few hours work, very basic knowledge and a whole lot of money from your own home.

Some of the best trainers I know got no certification at all. (The fitness industry is not regulated, you can become a fitness trainer without having any certification whatsoever.)

The only decent online trainer I know that has a certification has not got a fitness degree...he's got a physical therapy degree.

Do you have a NASM cert? Whats your experience? Do you bring something new to the table? Do you have any mobility background? FMS? MobilityWOD? Powerlifter?
The only important things are: " What's your experience?" and " Do you bring something new to the table" Although I believe the latter is close to impossible, as fitness is one of the most competitive niche's. and there aren't that many breakthrough scientific studies either.

In the end all that matters is " Does it work"

The pictures of you are all under lighting and we all know lighting can make a world of difference in pictures when it comes to shadow, definition, and physique.

I would say it's still a decent physique.
No unneeded muscles,
Only thing I'd have against the pictures is the bad posture.(Probably to make the muscles look bigger)

@borntodominate has a more streamline physique and if I were a fat joe and I saw you and him I would go with him.

No hate and definitely no disrespect but maybe I'm not your target audience so I wouldn't know. I come from the bodybuilding.com scene as well and have seen WAYYYY better physiques.

The answers you give are also "googlable" (if that is a word haha) so it's not like you're spewing anything different.

Maybe you're omitting something but I just don't see the traction you're getting from that physique

Fat joe might not be his target audience, I know for sure that it isn't mine.
There are a lot of programs to lose weight, it's almost impossible to break into that side of fitness, as you would have to compete with 99% of the fitness products out there.. most fitness products are to " Burn more calories", " lose fat", " get abs".
besides an effective training for " Fat joe' is usually one that exists already for the last 100+years. and can be found with a simple google for free.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Sorry all I was on a hiatus from this site (I only go on here early in the morning and well frankly, I hadn't been getting up early enough when I got flooded with school, end of the year, finals etc) - I'm back :)

Is clean bulking a real thing? If yes, how?

Yes, slight caloric deficit, less storage of fat, focusing on quality lean muscle gain.

Hey man, thanks for making such an awesome thread. :)

How do you eat to hit all of your macros for the day? Do you do any batching at all, or is there another method you use?

I've just recently gotten into weight lifting again, but I've always had a difficult time measuring exactly what I eat. So for the last 3 weeks, I've been hitting the gym 6 days a week and trying to batch my own food for the week on Mondays.

I'm sure it's too early to see results just yet, but every Monday has been a massive pain in the a$$ so far - I spend about 4-5 hours just making my meals for the rest of the week. I've also never cooked before, so that's probably a big part of it lol. But if there's a more efficient way to be hitting my macros, I'd love if you could share it.

Thanks Chris!

Cheers man, my pleasure in answering questions in here!

I personally log what i'm going to eat on MyFitnessPal early in the morning, that way I know every bit of food i'm going to consume during the day to hit my target macros. Makes it easier because you can adjust your food intake before eating to hit your macros, then you just eat those foods during the day. I don't do any specific meal times or anything, I honestly just eat when I'm hungry, and if I'm full and need to hit my macros with more food that I hadn't eaten during the day, I do it and eat. I'm not sure if that answers your question on "batching" - Not sure what you mean by that. Let me know if I answered that.

As far as preparing food, I recommend it. I used to cook every Sunday and package everything. I wouldn't divide it up, I would just cook a giant serving of rice and keep it in the pot in the fridge. I'd cook up a few pounds of steak and throw it all into one container and then divide it up during the week, measure it, and eat it. It was a bit more convenient for me. What are you cooking / preparing that takes that long? I was up to 5000 calories a day for a lean bulk (was doing track & bodybuilding at the same time) and still wasn't spending 5 hours preparing meals. I'm not a chef or anything though, so if you follow my advice, don't expect to have gourmet, spiced up, exquisite dishes. I'd just sit there and eat vegetables out of the can, or eat an entire can of beans in one sitting. It just makes life easier to hit your macros with pre-prepared foods, like canned goods etc. Try putting some of that into your plan for the week instead of cooking everything / preparing everything. Canned goods are your friend, someone else did the labor for you already (And the price doesn't reflect it.. $2 for a can of bush's baked beans is near 300g carb, 50g protein)

Hope that helps.

Will respond to the rest of y'all tomorrow.

MVDH

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 29, 2012
Cairns, Australia
I have been bulking for nearly 30 years.. still working on my before photos..

Seriously tho..

Would love your take on intermittent fasting (eat for 6 fast for 18) vs. small meals throughout the day

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I'm at about 190 right now but waiting till around 210 before I get my certified training license . How hard is it to obtain?

It's like one college class, it's actually a joke, which is probably why most trainers have no idea what they're talking about. The certification (in my opinion) is just for legal purposes so you won't get your a$$ sued for practicing without a license. Most of the stuff i've learned has been through research, trial and error, and on my own time aside from the certification courses. Pubmed is a great resource.. which is never touched upon in training certificate programs.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I'm on the right side of 40, a bit over weight. I want to reduce weight and at the same time build up muscle in my upper body. Looked up the web but there is an information overload - different sites have completely different exercises and left me a bit confused.

I go to a gym and have started working out with dumbbells and do a bit of pulley. I wish to make a documented bodybuilding workout plan that I can follow on alternate days of the week(alternating exercises) for 5-6 days a week that will surely and consistently build muscle up.

Can you suggest 2 groups of 4-5 exercises that will help me build my upper body muscle - I do the treadmill and cross trainer for 30-40 minutes for getting rid of some weight. I also do the plank on 2-3 days of the week.
I'll give you a different approach, with 3 different days. Try it, you might like it. and it will definitely give you results.

1 question: Why only train the upper body? Strength comes from the legs and the core. upper body is just fluff.

So I will suggest a more rounded program, with a lot of compound exercises.

Day 1: Strength day:

5 sets of 5 repetitions of the following exercises:
Squat
Deadlift
Dip (Advanced versions optionable)
Push up(advanced versions optionable- this exercise is a lot better than the bench press.)
Pull-up (Advanced versions optionable)

Tips:
Do a 5-4-1-1 timing: 5 seconds to go down, 4 seconds "rest" at bottom, 1 second up and then 1 second hold at the top.
Contract each and every muscle in your body.

Day 2: Endurance day.
Same exercises as day 1.
Only work up to 10 sets of 25 repetitions for each.
This will create an aftershock that multiplies your gains.

Tips:
Do a 2-2-1-1 timing: 2 seconds to go down, 2 seconds rest at bottom, 1 second up 1 second hold at top.
Only contract the muscles that you need for the exercise.

Day 3: Hiit(Cardio) Day
Tip from me: Get rid of the cardio for now.

Building strength burns in general more calories than cardio.
(If you do want to do some kind of exercises in a tabata protocol)

Here is one:

"Cardio day"
Exercise 1: Lunge or squat (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 2: Push ups (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 3: Sprints (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 4: Burpee's (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 5: Pull-ups (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 6: Dips (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
Finish.

This workout takes a total of 30 minutes and will burn just as much as about 4-5 hours on the crosstrainer /threadmill.
Also way more potent to train your body.

Tips:
Only contract the muscles needed for the exercise.
Perform the repetitions as quick as possible in good form.

Day 4: Rest
During day 4 you are allowed to work on Joint mobility or Yoga.

Repeat.

Nice and easy 4 day cycle, all compound exercises, build around the same 5 major exercises.
Of course day 1 is the highest intensity and day 2 the lowest as you need to do a lot more repetitions.
All exercises should be done with perfect form,
Never train to failure
Only count the repetitions done in perfect form.

So again I suggest to drop the threadmill and crosstrainer,
You can keep doing the planks, although I suggest moving to harder planks as quick as you can hold a plank for 1 minute or so.
Some options:
Hollow body elbow plank
Hollow body straight arm plank
Hollow body extended arm plank
Hollow body maltese plank
Hollow body wall maltese plank

Just to name a few, (There are literally thousands of possible progressions, the name of the game is intensity. you want to progressively move to higher and higher intensities, without progressing too fast. I personally do not go to a harder progression if I cannot do that harder progression for at least 30 seconds.)

S&P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 11, 2013
I wouldn't say ALL you can do, if you're real sufficient you can still squeeze some things in. However the level of commitment is definitely real. You have to be serious. And you have to constantly be thinking about training, nutrition, supplementation, etc

If you're working 9-5, training twice a day would be extremely difficult but not impossible. Lunch break and after work or in the AM.

I didn't say I was currently training twice a day, for the record. I've done cycles of it. and i've sustained it, easily. I'm 21, and couldn't care less about 'relationships' as far as a monogamous relationship with a woman, for the next 10 years.. And i'll probably always be involved in the fitness industry, so i'll probably end up meeting a potential partner there..

I agree with you and have realized this recently. Most are on steroids, and there's a lot of slowlane shit involved in the fitness industry. A lot of my previous strategies were slowlane and I thought they were fastlane. You can still slowlane yourself to millions, but if you're working for someone else or just constantly working HARD rather than smart, you're still in the slowlane.. so I agree with you there.

Oh man this is eery. It's like peaking into my 21 year old mind. I used to be like you man and think like you.

I ended up dating the fitness model. Worst relationship of my life. Most fitness women are a bit crazy. She was a narcissist. Do you know what it's like to date someone like that? Google emotional manipulation, gaslighting, shaming, narcisstic rage etc.

Fitness industry is one of the worst industries to be in IMO.

The whole thing is a giant facade for sociopaths. 99% of the fitness world is complete BS. It's a cult of addicts man. They will lie to your face everytime. Don't believe me? See for yourself.

I have had relationships with non fitness women that were much better.

It's a small sample size so maybe you will get better results finding someone in the industry. If you want to take steroids then you should start from a very lean condition (8% bodyfat or less) and make sure you have the funds to sustain the lifestyle. There are a lot of expenses within a very short timeframe for this sort of thing. It's also incredibly side walker. If you were making 10x or more off of your body or knowledge that's another thing though.

Myron van Yolo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Nov 2, 2014
Europe
Yes, it is. Basically you just 100-300 calories over your maintanance (so if you maintain your weight eating 3000 cals you just eat a bit more). It allows you to stay lean without turning into a fatass like some people recommend during "mass phase". You build muscle slower, but the amount of fat you gain should be minimal if done right.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Firstly thanks @ChrisJHarrington ! You might be able to build on this for a business/fastlane.

Anyway dude, my questions/problem or issue.
I have stubborn abdominal stomach fat, mostly the lower abs, I have had sleeping problems but not in the recent few month. Besides that I do some Jogging, about 3-5 kilomotres 1-3 times a week, slacked off weights recently but try and compensate with push-ups.
Anyway Im not sure if this is enough info for you to advise me or in a order that helps or makes sense to you to utilize and help me.
I have lifted regularly before, played rugby and soccer for a while but mostly Rugby and self-taught in JKD and had little informal boxing training.

P.S Do any of thsoe fut burner supplements work or should I try?
I have tried fasted training, doesnt seem to affect the abdominal fat much, training consists of jogging, some short sprints in between.
I've been thinking its the food here, Taiwan's version of the FDA or food regulatory body might not be so effective in practical terms and it could be something in the protein.
I am also into Paleo but its kind of hard to maintain due to my time limited lifestyle and other factors.

If you're pretty lean already but have some stubborn body fat on your abs it may take a bit extra work to burn that body fat off. I think fat burner supplements for the most part are a waste of money.

My recommendations:

Do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - This is the most efficient form of cardio for fat burning. Do cycles of 100% maximum effort cardio, followed by a period of rest. This will increase your metabolic rate.
Weight train regularly - Not only will this help you sleep better (hormones activating etc), but it will also help increase your metabolic rate so you can burn more calories in a given day.
Carbohydrate / fat manipulation
Steady protein intake with heavy strength training - You want to retain the muscle you have, so it's important to lift heavy and keep a consistent protein intake. I'd say 1-1.2 lb per pound of body weight should be sufficient.

A lot of people think in order to lose body fat they just cut out some food and they're good. The problem is, they cut out protein and lose muscle. They lose water weight and then rebound. They do shitty crash diets that do exactly this.. they lose a few pounds of water initially and then rebound. They get their caloric intake so low that it's dangerous.

The safe way to do it is through manipulating fats and carbohydrates while increasing your metabolic rate through higher intensity exercise, combined with strength training to keep your nervous system primed to lift heavy and maintain as much muscle as possible.

If normally your body burns 2000 calories in a given day and you eat 1500 calories, you're at a caloric deficit to burn body fat, however that's a pretty low amount of calories to feed your body and muscles with.. so the goal of the higher intensity intervals and such is to increase your metabolic rate so you can naturally burn 3000 calories, cut back to 2500, be at a deficit, and still feed your muscles while burning body fat through carb / fat intake manipulation over time.

Hope that helps. I can't really get more specific without knowing more about you / personalizing something, and that takes time and $$

Not sure if this will be helpful or not but figured I'd share it with you. I copied and pasted your progress pics above and shared it with several of my girl friends and asked them what they thought just because I was curious... Not just the majority of them but all of them (about 12 total) liked your 18-19 shot. Comments about your 21 pics ranged anywhere from "deranged", "obsessed", "little peter syndrome", "get a life", "this guy is serial". All of the previous quotes are from females ranging from 28 - 42 yrs old. Maybe it's just an age thing and the younger crowd of girls dig it? IDK - just food for thought. Good luck - bro.

i loled. Thanks bro. I'm really not that big looking in person. It's all smokes and mirrors, even in bodybuilding. When I get lean enough, I can look bigger than most people, but I have a pretty small bone structure... so i'm really not that much bigger than the ordinary person, except I've got a solid muscle base and when i get lean enough it gives off the illusion that i'm bigger. If i stood next to you it wouldn't be ridiculous. I dated a 30 year old woman and she digged it. I like the fact that you have several girlfriends though haha :) (I'm also leaner in that 18-19 shot and will probably be back to being that lean soon but i'll have maybe 5-10 more pounds of muscle on my frame.. mostly on my shoulders, back and arms)

Thanks a ton for the reply Chris!

Yeah I had never really cooked before at the time of my last post, so I was trying to batch all these complicated meals that wound up taking a ton of time. I've since scaled back to just eating pre-prepared things and it's much easier.

Although I do have a new question for you if you've got some time. :) I was wondering how you learned proper form for your exercises? I've been working out pretty consistently since my last post here, and I realized I haven't seen very much difference at all. My dumbbell weight stalled and I stopped feeling the burn in a lot of my muscles, specifically biceps and triceps come to mind.

I was visiting with a friend from out of town last weekend and he was watching my form on bicep curls - turns out it was extremely bad (I was swinging my weights and also lifting almost entirely with my shoulder). He had me go from a 40 lbs weight with the curls to a 15 lbs weight with him showing me proper form, and my biceps were burning like crazy for the rest of the day!

On one hand I was sort've pissed that I'd been working out improperly for so long, but on the other I'm happy that I figured out the sticking point I had going.

So, yeah! How were you able to learn proper form for your lifts?

Proper form takes time. No different than learning to ride a bike.. then learning how to ride without holding the handle bars.. you gotta put time into it and practice and learn and then it'll work out. Watch videos, that always helps. As far as your bicep example, if you start out correctly and are activating your biceps, i don't see a problem with using your shoulder at all. It depends on the goal of the training session.

I have strength days / cycles in my training periods where i'll only focus on progressive overload. So if you curled 20s for 10 last week, you need to either get another rep or add weight. Eventually, your form will diminish. As long as your form isn't going to hurt you and you're activating your biceps and doing more than the last time, they'll grow. Biceps don't need to be a strict isolation movement with 10 pound pink dumbbells for the resto f your life to just get the blood pumping in them. Anyone can get the blood pumping if they isolate and go slow enough with the pink dumbbells, that doesn't mean they'll grow. The way they grow is progressive overload, and over time your form will break down, so don't be too cautious. It's not as black and white as you put it either, it's not "my form is wrong" or "my form is right" - There's an inbetween, and i prefer to live there. I currently curl like 50s for 8 reps.. with less than ideal form, but my arms have continued to grow because of the progressive overload principle. Just need to make sure you can control the weight and the contractions..

Make sure you're eating a caloric surplus and don't be afraid to sacrafice a little bit of form for progressive overload so you don't plateau so soon.

Hope that helps

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I figure this would be a way for me to give back a bit to my fastlane community, since you guys are brilliant with all of your threads, here's a way I can help YOU:

Ask me anything fitness related.

My credentials:
Certified Fitness Trainer
working on my SFN (Specialist in Fitness Nutrition)
I am working with a popular online bodybuilding-prep coach (My goal isn't to bodybuild, moreso fitness modeling)
I run an online fitness coaching business

Bit of a timeline:
14 years old - Learned about bodybuilding, was intrigued, but never got serious. Weighed 95lb
fajd.jpg

17 years old - Started walking to the local gym, got serious and was dedicated
2ntcj9w.jpg

18-19 years old - Really started getting results. Continued my passion. Weighed 165lb. Worked at a gym, helped a lot of people, and also ran my own online fitness coaching, helping friends and such with personalized routines and plans. Became a CFT (Certified Fitness Trainer)
34r8wn6.jpg

21 years old (now) - Still running the online fitness coaching. Working on the SFN. Weigh about 183lb
33lijo2.jpg

Rules of this thread:
Ask questions and I can answer them, but do not ask me for personalized routines or nutrition plans etc. Those things take a lot of time to put together. If you are interested in that, PM me and we can talk further. This thread isn't to be used as a marketing scheme for me to try to get clients, it's just my way of giving back to you all with a bit of my expertise. I can coach you and do personalized routines etc, and if you are interested I ask that you do not post that in this thread and instead PM me. Thanks.

Last edited:

S&P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 11, 2013

You have to split it up so you aren't doing the same muscle group or same type of exercise every single day.

If you were training heavy (85-95% of your 1 rep max) you'd fry your CNS (Central Nervous System)

If you know how to properly periodize your routines along with solid nutrition and plenty of rest, 2 a days are godly..

This is true, did 4 months of AM/PM training at 6x per week for this cover.

Month 3 experienced some CNS fatigue and needed a 1 week deload (cut total volume in half)

Overall, Chris knows what it takes.

101_Tips_for_Hardcore_Natural_Training.png

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014

how about F*ck no

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I do 6x a week for 1-1.5 hours. But twice a day, that's an overkill.

Maybe your workout ain't so intense. I do supersets and barely rest in between sets.

If I understand the way you're training (Like a lot of guys who just pump a million sets and reps with drop sets super sets to failure) then yes, you cannot train like that twice a day, 6 days a week. But you shouldn't be training like that at all (if you are) anyways, it's less optimal.

As a personal trainer, what are the biggest day-to-day challenges you face in your job?

Dealing with people. I feel as if any other profession, it isn't a big deal to try to get a person to buy your product or service or convince them, but when it comes to their lives and calling them on bullshit about their deepest darkest fears, it can be a HUGE challenge. People like to say they're ready to act, but then they don't, which proves they were never ready.. Sometimes being 'ready' just means to take the freaking LEAP and listen to your damn trainer..

how about F*ck no

You do you. If ignoring science is your thing, all the power to you.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
He's on his way. I was the same way at his age...

Just being real & honest here. When you train 2x a day for 6 sessions a week that's pretty much all you can do.

Your life is eat, sleep, train and whatever you can do during the interim wile barely functioning. It's an odyssey and journey into fitness obsession.

MJ DeMarco talks about indentured time in his book... that training style is a prime example of it.

Chris, just know that eventually you will realize although scientifically optimal for results, that lifestyle is not sustainable.

It's going to affect your wealth and relationships. Very difficult to date and work under the strain of that indentured time commited to training.

Most people in the fitness industry are on steroids and preach slowlane methods while "fastlaning" with chemical warfare.

This is what the sharks do.

Still a good experience to train like this for a year or two. Massive lessons to be gained.

Good luck.

I wouldn't say ALL you can do, if you're real sufficient you can still squeeze some things in. However the level of commitment is definitely real. You have to be serious. And you have to constantly be thinking about training, nutrition, supplementation, etc

If you're working 9-5, training twice a day would be extremely difficult but not impossible. Lunch break and after work or in the AM.

I didn't say I was currently training twice a day, for the record. I've done cycles of it. and i've sustained it, easily. I'm 21, and couldn't care less about 'relationships' as far as a monogamous relationship with a woman, for the next 10 years.. And i'll probably always be involved in the fitness industry, so i'll probably end up meeting a potential partner there..

I agree with you and have realized this recently. Most are on steroids, and there's a lot of slowlane shit involved in the fitness industry. A lot of my previous strategies were slowlane and I thought they were fastlane. You can still slowlane yourself to millions, but if you're working for someone else or just constantly working HARD rather than smart, you're still in the slowlane.. so I agree with you there.

I'm on the right side of 40, a bit over weight. I want to reduce weight and at the same time build up muscle in my upper body. Looked up the web but there is an information overload - different sites have completely different exercises and left me a bit confused.

I go to a gym and have started working out with dumbbells and do a bit of pulley. I wish to make a documented bodybuilding workout plan that I can follow on alternate days of the week(alternating exercises) for 5-6 days a week that will surely and consistently build muscle up.

Can you suggest 2 groups of 4-5 exercises that will help me build my upper body muscle - I do the treadmill and cross trainer for 30-40 minutes for getting rid of some weight. I also do the plank on 2-3 days of the week.

In my opinion, start 3-4 days a week and work on full body compound movements? Why?

Full body compounds are exercises that stimulate the most muscle fibers. You can take one exercise and have it work a dozen muscles. Learn the form and gain the mobility for the squat, bench, deadlift, and overhead press. Do some combination of those 3-4 days per week. Beginners don't need to be in the gym 5-6 days a week to make progress. Try a push / pull / leg workout. I would not only focus on your upper body. If weight loss is your goal, the more muscle you carry, the higher your metabolic rate, and the easier it'll be for you to burn body fat if your body is naturally burning more calories throughout the day. Legs/Back will be huge contributors to adding muscle mass, so I would not neglect those to focus on chest/arms.

Example of what I would recommend to get started, build some strength and size, and learn the movements..

Monday - Push

Barbell Bench Press 3x5
Dumbbell Bench Press 3x8-12
Dumbbell Skull Crusher 3x8-12
Rope pushdown - 3x8-12

Wednesday - Pull

Barbell Deadlift 3x5
Barbell Row 3x8-12
Dumbbell Curl 3x8-12
Dumbbell Preacher Curl 3x8-12

Friday - Legs

Squat - 3x5
Dumbbell Lunge 3x8-12
Lying Leg Curl 3x8-12
Standing Calf Raise 3x8-12
Seated Calf Raise 3x8-12

Twice a week (after a workout if you do it on a workout day) do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - TEN MINUTEs. That's it for cardio.

What's the nutrition look like? If you follow that with sound nutrition you'll start shredding some weight off.

I'll give you a different approach, with 3 different days. Try it, you might like it. and it will definitely give you results.

1 question: Why only train the upper body? Strength comes from the legs and the core. upper body is just fluff.

So I will suggest a more rounded program, with a lot of compound exercises.

Day 1: Strength day:

5 sets of 5 repetitions of the following exercises:
Squat
Deadlift
Dip (Advanced versions optionable)
Push up(advanced versions optionable- this exercise is a lot better than the bench press.)
Pull-up (Advanced versions optionable)

Tips:
Do a 5-4-1-1 timing: 5 seconds to go down, 4 seconds "rest" at bottom, 1 second up and then 1 second hold at the top.
Contract each and every muscle in your body.

Day 2: Endurance day.
Same exercises as day 1.
Only work up to 10 sets of 25 repetitions for each.
This will create an aftershock that multiplies your gains.

Tips:
Do a 2-2-1-1 timing: 2 seconds to go down, 2 seconds rest at bottom, 1 second up 1 second hold at top.
Only contract the muscles that you need for the exercise.

Day 3: Hiit(Cardio) Day
Tip from me: Get rid of the cardio for now.

Building strength burns in general more calories than cardio.
(If you do want to do some kind of exercises in a tabata protocol)

Here is one:

"Cardio day"
Exercise 1: Lunge or squat (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 2: Push ups (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 3: Sprints (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 4: Burpee's (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 5: Pull-ups (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
1 minute rest
Exercise 6: Dips (8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest in between)
Finish.

This workout takes a total of 30 minutes and will burn just as much as about 4-5 hours on the crosstrainer /threadmill.
Also way more potent to train your body.

Tips:
Only contract the muscles needed for the exercise.
Perform the repetitions as quick as possible in good form.

Day 4: Rest
During day 4 you are allowed to work on Joint mobility or Yoga.

Repeat.

Nice and easy 4 day cycle, all compound exercises, build around the same 5 major exercises.
Of course day 1 is the highest intensity and day 2 the lowest as you need to do a lot more repetitions.
All exercises should be done with perfect form,
Never train to failure
Only count the repetitions done in perfect form.

So again I suggest to drop the threadmill and crosstrainer,
You can keep doing the planks, although I suggest moving to harder planks as quick as you can hold a plank for 1 minute or so.
Some options:
Hollow body elbow plank
Hollow body straight arm plank
Hollow body extended arm plank
Hollow body maltese plank
Hollow body wall maltese plank

Just to name a few, (There are literally thousands of possible progressions, the name of the game is intensity. you want to progressively move to higher and higher intensities, without progressing too fast. I personally do not go to a harder progression if I cannot do that harder progression for at least 30 seconds.)

Looks okay, however if he's totally new to this I think 3 days on 1 day off can be a bit taxing at 40 if you're out of shape

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA

That can be it, but it's usually deeper than that. Why do you want results? Who the hell cares?

There's more to it than the outcome. There's a motivational driver deep beyond the surface.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Oh man this is eery. It's like peaking into my 21 year old mind. I used to be like you man and think like you.

I ended up dating the fitness model. Worst relationship of my life. Most fitness women are a bit crazy. She was a narcissist. Do you know what it's like to date someone like that? Google emotional manipulation, gaslighting, shaming, narcisstic rage etc.

Fitness industry is one of the worst industries to be in IMO.

The whole thing is a giant facade for sociopaths. 99% of the fitness world is complete BS. It's a cult of addicts man. They will lie to your face everytime. Don't believe me? See for yourself.

I have had relationships with non fitness women that were much better.

It's a small sample size so maybe you will get better results finding someone in the industry. If you want to take steroids then you should start from a very lean condition (8% bodyfat or less) and make sure you have the funds to sustain the lifestyle. There are a lot of expenses within a very short timeframe for this sort of thing. It's also incredibly side walker. If you were making 10x or more off of your body or knowledge that's another thing though.

I'm going to ask that if you want to have this conversation it be in private message with me instead of hijacking my thread. I am offering free advice as a certified and qualified trainer for those who have questions. I am not asking for advice myself in a personal hobby that speaks much closer to heart than you realize. And your jump to steroids and recommendations for how lean I should be for steroids, get out of here, you don't know a thing about me. I'm a natural bodybuilder, I don't train twice a day, I simply stated it is most beneficial, lifting isn't my life, it's a part of it, and i appreciate the female advice however I don't remember mentioning relationships in here.

I'd be happy to discuss in a private message if you would like because this has nothing to do with my thread and you aren't even asking a question.

I will agree that it is sidewalker and I haven't realized that until recently.

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
Its simple. Eat more calories then you expend. The calories you eat should be from good food sources, like protein, carbs with low GI, mono. poly and omgea fats. Avoid refined sugars, alcohol, sat and trans fats.

SkuNK_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 24, 2011
Hey, I'm bulking right now and just eating everything in my path, the problem is eating to much and feeling sick as well as not having snacks to eat when im commuting or in class. you got any suggestions on the sick feeling and the foods to eat when bulking?

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I'm at about 190 right now but waiting till around 210 before I get my certified training license . How hard is it to obtain?

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Hey, I'm bulking right now and just eating everything in my path, the problem is eating to much and feeling sick as well as not having snacks to eat when im commuting or in class. you got any suggestions on the sick feeling and the foods to eat when bulking?

I used to do the same as far as eating everything, and have found that to be not very optimal. Some people can get away with it and not put on any body fat, but I couldn't. I track my protein/fats/carbohydrate intake so I can adjust / manipulate my body composition through science. I weigh measure and log my food intake. That's what's helped me the most. You could be feeling sick from over-eating, from too high fat intake, etc. Could be a number of things. With bulking, focus on enough protein (1 gram per pound of body weight should be fine) and eating enough calories to consistently gain weight. Lean proteins, lots of fruits and vegetables, and good mono/polyunsaturated fat sources. As long as you have a decent balance of that in your diet, you can pretty much eat anything else you want, working off of that as a base.

I have been bulking for nearly 30 years.. still working on my before photos..

Seriously tho..

Would love your take on intermittent fasting (eat for 6 fast for 18) vs. small meals throughout the day

Haha, you'll get there! I'm not a fan of IF. Never tried it. I've seen the results. Not my thing. What's your goal? IF is for cutting, but you're bulking? Like I mentioned above, tracking calories = most optimal... specifically macronutrients. That will help you with bulking or cutting

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
It's like one college class, it's actually a joke, which is probably why most trainers have no idea what they're talking about. The certification (in my opinion) is just for legal purposes so you won't get your a$$ sued for practicing without a license. Most of the stuff i've learned has been through research, trial and error, and on my own time aside from the certification courses. Pubmed is a great resource.. which is never touched upon in training certificate programs.
Sweet. I'm knowledgable about lifting and nutrition. Just need the license part. Thanks for answering the question.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.