The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you born to be an entrepreneur?

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Who can do this? Nature-Nurture discussions in psychology researchers found that entrepreneurs on average score different on variables as openness, autonomy, creativity, risk taking pro-activity, neuroticism. They found also some correlations with performance. Does it mean entrepreneurship talent is a natural gift? Or should one work for it and develop a talent?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
Who can do this? Nature-Nurture discussions in psychology researchers found that entrepreneurs on average score different on variables as openness, autonomy, creativity, risk taking pro-activity, neuroticism. They found also some correlations with performance. Does it mean entrepreneurship talent is a natural gift? Or should one work for it and develop a talent?

You can be born with talents/traits that help, but I would say its moreso based on belief systems that can be strongly ingrained when you're really young, that some people never discover they have (good or bad). Some people do.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
They found also some correlations with performance.
Do you have a link to a source?

Does it mean entrepreneurship talent is a natural gift? Or should one work for it and develop a talent?
I can't speak for everyone. But, I'll say that I've had entrepreneurship on my mind from a very young age (as long as I can remember). It isn't something I randomly stumbled on. I was always looking for what entrepreneurship represents/offers.

When asked what do you want to be when you get older? My response was always to be a business owner. I liked the idea of creating things and providing jobs for others.

At the same time, I'd say "entrepreneurship" is definitely something that needs to be developed. I'm not sure if it's a natural gift. All I can say is that I've been wired to love it from day one.

I do remember reading Rich Dad Poor Dad when I was somewhere between age 8-10 years old.

One side note: both of my parents were business owners. So I grew up seeing how they operated. The only thing I didn't like was that fact that they really only owned jobs. They were their own bosses and all that. However, if they stopped working then the business stopped operating. It was a problem I didn't want to have as I got older.

It kind of inspired me to keep seeking more answers.

@Almantas , what are your thoughts on the question you asked, "Are you born to be an entrepreneur?"

RisingToTheTop

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 15, 2016
The topic of Nature vs Nurture has always been on my mind, and not only when talking about entrepreneurship.

Let me give you another example: fitness. When I started training for bodybuilding, I noticed that my genetics are not precisely the best for that activity in particular. Things like muscle insertions, fat distribution, metabolism and rate of muscle gain come into play, and while I do good in some, I haven´t been blessed in others. I have a friend who started lifting pretty much at the same time as I did, and his gains were exponentially better. He is the guy that was muscular and "toned" even before starting to lift. Now, 6 years later, I look 10 times better than him. Is it because my genetics magically changed? Hell no!

It´s because I put in the time, effort, consistency with my diet, and he didn´t. It´s because I went to the gym day in, day out and pushed myself to the max every single training session. Meanwhile, he skipped a few sessions here and there, he ate like shit everyday and he half assed his workouts.

So, long story short, I think the answer is: does it even matter? Will I ever be as good as an entrepreneur as Bill Gates even if I dedicate every minute of my life to it? Probably (Id say for sure, but never say never) not. But will that stop me from being the best entrepreneur I can possibly be? F*ck NO!!

If you truly truly want it and are willing to go out there and get it, and never ever give up, Id be very surprised if you fail, even if you werent born with the "right"genetics or raised in the right environment.

Who knows? Maybe Im just rambling and abusing my positivity, but Id rather live thinking like this than with a "I just wasnt born for it" mindset.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Do you have a link to a source?

Here is the link

I can't speak for everyone. But, I'll say that I've had entrepreneurship on my mind from a very young age (as long as I can remember). It isn't something I randomly stumbled on. I was always looking for what entrepreneurship represents/offers.

When asked what do you want to be when you get older? My response was always to be a business owner. I liked the idea of creating things and providing jobs for others.

At the same time, I'd say "entrepreneurship" is definitely something that needs to be developed. I'm not sure if it's a natural gift. All I can say is that I've been wired to love it from day one.

I do remember reading Rich Dad Poor Dad when I was somewhere between age 8-10 years old.

One side note: both of my parents were business owners. So I grew up seeing how they operated. The only thing I didn't like was that fact that they really only owned jobs. They were their own bosses and all that. However, if they stopped working then the business stopped operating. It was a problem I didn't want to have as I got older.

It kind of inspired me to keep seeking more answers.

@Almantas , what are your thoughts on the question you asked, "Are you born to be an entrepreneur?"

Link: http://search.proquest.com/openview/bf47466bd803e2be9a90b3ea92264373/1?pq-origsite=gscholar

Thanks for asking, my belief is that ENTREPRENEURS ARE MADE AND STAY THE COURSE.

Let's say 1000 people are born with similar inherited traits that should make them super-star entrepreneurs. Guess what? I am pretty sure less than 200 of them will become successful entrepreneurs. Where's the catch then? Real entrepreneurs stay the course...day after day, year after year.

What's up with the rest of 800 people with inherited qualities that will never become entrepreneurs? Although they might have been talented, they will quickly get bored and trash their gifts. Those 800 are guys who will hop from industry to industry. Guys who will try to get rich quickly. Guys who will rely on their networks and rich papas and mamas to attract opportunities and favors rather than mastering a critical skill. Guys who will desperately try to take advantage of others instead of providing honest service and building trust.

The rest of 200 guys who will become successful entrepreneurs love the great game of entrepreneurship. They will show up, every day, in the same industry, with the same people. Through relentless trial-and-error, successful and failed decisions, lost friendships and money, those 200 warriors will make tiny deposits of industry expertise, business knowledge, and trust which builds a web of assets that makes running a successful business much easier and serves as a formidable barrier to competitors.

There are many academics who ask: are successful entrepreneurs born or made? Are entrepreneurs blessed with a rare gene or shaped by their parents and childhood? You know what? These aren't even close to the questions we should be asking. Entrepreneurs are regular folks turned into warriors - warriors who become successful, one small investment at a time, day after day, year after year- it becomes an investment that builds lifelong treasures. Many entrepreneurs were born to lose, but relentlessly fighting to win, and you know what? They are winning big time.

Last edited:

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
100% in you... I personally believe EVERYONE can be an entrepreneur but not everyone is born a natural entrepreneur. A ton of people don't have that built in drive or passion to go after their goals.

G

Guest34764

It's not entrepreneurship that's the talent, It's something more than that.

Entrepreneurship IMO is something you develop and learn however the drive to want to be an entrepreneur is something you're just born with.

We are all a bunch of animals on a large rock floating around in space but yet entrepreneurs want more from their existence and they will go out of our way to achieve it.

There's definitely something going on there and It's not just "learned"

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
Entrepreneurship is merely a skill set you can acquire, like playing an instrument. Everyone can be an entrepreneur, but there's a major thing preventing most people from becoming one:

What you consider "natural" entrepreneurs have a stubborn, "you don't F*ck with me" reaction to adversity. Their mind literally tells them "you're a worthless piece of shit if you don't follow through this and show everyone that you're powerful/successful/lovable."

Whereas most people react by staying away from conflict and negative feelings as a means to protect themselves from it. Their self-image is NOT tied to being powerful and successful as much, but to other things like "I am a helpful person" or "I am unique" (lookup the Enneagram of Personalities for more info on that).

None of those reactions are healthy for the individual, yet the first one is prone to pushing you forward and "taking the risk" instead of crumbling.

The incredible thing: Even if you fall into the second group - those who usually avoid obstacles and adversity - you can still become an awesome entrepreneur. You do that by exchanging your natural, "I wanna get away from this" REACTION with a conscious RESPONSE.

The difference between these two is this:
  • A reaction is what unconsciously and automatically happens when your self-image gets threatened and you're not aware of the feelings that come up. This is how most people live their whole life

• A response is what you choose to do when you're aware of the situation and the feelings inside your body

For example: Someone says you're "dumb as F*ck" while you take pride in being knowledgable? The reaction would be to close off ("he's such an idiot, let's see who laughs in the end") or push back ("No, you're dumb as F*ck mister!").

The response would be to get aware of what happens in your body. You might be able to feel anxiety in your stomach or hurt in your heart area. Instead of being involved in the situation, you're the observer asking yourself "why am I feeling this way?"

The deeper you go with asking why, the more you will find that you're trying to protect yourself. If you're in an environment where you're feeling safe, you'll probably get super sad and cry. This is healthy because it cleans your emotional system.

You know what's the consequence of regularly choosing the response instead of the reaction?

You're creating less drama in the world, are more productive, and happy.

You spend less time trying to protect your artificial self-image (which isn't even who you REALLY are).

You get more intimate with yourself and as a consequence, you're able to accept yourself completely.

You learn to be authentic and be able to say "yes" when you mean yes and "no" when you mean no.

If you feel like you are no "born" entrepreneur (aka. you naturally stay away from negative feelings), learn to consciously respond to life situation and you'll be successful too.

Love ya.

Last edited:

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Natural.

Deep down all true entrepreneurs don't see an option. I don't know if it can be taught but it can be extracted from within.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
i take the jeff walker example again.

the guy was a stay at home dad with no money and he became an entrepreneur out of necessity to save his family and his dignity because he coudn't keep a job.

today he has millions of dollars in his bank account and he is considered a guru.

this is the case for me : out of necessity

because i don't want to be a slave

_Seba_

AAA
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jun 24, 2015
Germany
There is a great episode about this topic by Andy Frisella called "Are you really an entrepreneur or not".
He believes that there is something like an "entrepreneurial-DNA" you need to succeed in the long run.

I know some other successful guys who believe in this DNA. And that's also my guess.
Does it mean you had to be the child selling lemonade or reading business books in his childhood? I don't know.

But I believe you have to love the work and effort it requieres every single day to become successful. And that's not what everybody has within.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I suppose that if nature (inheritance of genes, abilities) is starting capital, nurture is development of capital into a business system.
In other words, what do we produce with what we have?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.