The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are You a Consumer or a Creator?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi guys!

I've just came across an inspiring story by one of my LinkedIn contacts:

"I quit my job. Ran out of savings. Then took a low-paying job as a copywriter. I bootstrapped down and moved into my Dad’s tiny apartment. Without much space, we slept in the same room. During this time, I learned something beautiful. Success and happiness parallel how much value we create for others. Not how many books we read, podcasts we listen to, or YouTube videos we watch. The problem: I had no skills. I had no money. With few options, I began writing for many hours every day. To focus, I stopped…

-Talking to friends who didn’t help me create value.
-Opening my Facebook News Feed.
-Paying attention to politics.
-Watching T.V. and Netflix.
-Going out to eat.

First, I wrote on my blog. As I became a better writer, I contributed to publications. People began to recognize and respect my ability to create value. I left my low-pay copywriting job to work for a Facebook software company and moved out of my Dad’s apartment. I then took a job as the VP of marketing for an events company spread across five cities, then eventually, I became the head of growth for a VC firm.

Now, I'm a founder of two companies and a 15,000-person community. If your life is not on a successful track, then ask yourself: Am I a consumer or a creator?"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Hi guys!

"I quit my job. Ran out of savings. Then took a low-paying job as a copywriter. I bootstrapped down and moved into my Dad’s tiny apartment. Without much space, we slept in the same room. During this time, I learned something beautiful. Success and happiness parallel how much value we create for others. Not how many books we read, podcasts we listen to, or YouTube videos we watch. The problem: I had no skills. I had no money. With few options, I began writing for many hours every day. To focus, I stopped…

-Going out to eat.

First, I wrote on my blog. As I became a better writer, I contributed to publications. People began to recognize and respect my ability to create value. I left my low-pay copywriting job to work for a Facebook software company and moved out of my Dad’s apartment. I then took a job as the VP of marketing for an events company spread across five cities, then eventually, I became the head of growth for a VC firm.

Now, I'm a founder of two companies and a 15,000-person community. If your life is not on a successful track, then ask yourself: Am I a consumer or a creator?"

consumer or creator is just a point of view

the point of view of the smart guy in the system or the point of view of the sheep in the system

the only thing that matters : the system and actors in it

do you think Bankers are creators ?

creator of what ? money ? the money does not exist . it is electronic things created out of thin air in this fiat currency system

the dollar is this since 1973 :

monopoly.jpg

banks are just a legal scam with your hard earned " money " wich is a measure of your work

i won't go further because i will be called a "conspiracy theorist" of whatever

while all the facts are available for anybody to see.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
consumer or creator is just a point of view

the point of view of the smart guy in the system or the point of view of the sheep in the system

the only thing that matters : the system and actors in it

do you think Bankers are creators ?

creator of what ? money ? the money does not exist . it is electronic things created out of thin air in this fiat currency system

the dollar is this since 1973 :

View attachment 16563

banks are just a legal scam with your hard earned " money " wich is a measure of your work

i won't go further because i will be called a "conspiracy theorist" of whatever

while all the facts are available for anybody to see.

The fact many forum members clearly aren't interested in your borderline religious dogma is also available for anybody to see. Yet you keep posting it. Strange times indeed. What a strange world we live in...or do we?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
The fact many forum members clearly aren't interested in your borderline religious dogma is also available for anybody to see. Yet you keep posting it. Strange times indeed. What a strange world we live in...or do we?
I think that he's just a sincerely compassionate guy. Which is why I haven't picked on him.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I think that he's just a sincerely compassionate guy. Which is why I haven't picked on him.

I don't disagree with everything he says. I haven't said anything until now for a similar reason. This post just felt like a strike at the forum to me. Like we must all be ignorant fools for not accepting one man's convictions as fact and embracing them wholeheartedly.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I don't disagree with everything he says. I haven't said anything until now for a similar reason. This post just felt like a strike at the forum to me. Like we must all be ignorant fools for not accepting one man's convictions as fact and embracing them wholeheartedly.

I see where you're coming from and I do agree that his post implies that, but this is just our perception. I guess his intention is to simply provide value by educating us. Nothing sinister, SinisterLex. Lol.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

I see where you're coming from and I do agree that his post implies that, but this is just our perception. I guess his intention is to simply provide value by educating us. Nothing sinister, SinisterLex. Lol.

He is educating us on French Postmodernism. I get a Jacques Derrida vibe.

Get that shit out of here, now!

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Hi guys!

-Going out to eat.

Man, that's the best thing I've read all day; maybe all week. Thanks and rep given!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hi guys!

-Going out to eat.

Kinda summarizes what I've been saying for years...

Process...
Focus...
Feedback loops...
Ignoring distractions...
Producerism vs Consumerism...
Action-faking (over reading, over podcasting)

Lots to chew on in a short post.

carlos_

Not at the table Carlos
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
464%
Aug 18, 2017
Orange County, CA

"But What are the Steps?"

I like this story because he lists them right there. 3 months ago, I would have read right over the beginning and said: "But how did you go from working at a software company to taking a VP marketing job - that's not relatable or realistic"

Today, I see he's already answered the question. He repeated the same steps he took to become a good copywriter and applied them at the software company. Then repeated those steps at the Events company. By the end of his story, he's skilled in copywriting, marketing, and the skills required to be a good VC: identifying teams of people who are like him and focus on their skills and execution

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.