The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are we in a BUBBLE? Asking the right Q's . . .

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Some press people are looking at the speculative increase in oil (up 260% in 6 months) and are asking "When will this BUBBLE BURST?"

They seem to be treating an increase in oil prices in the same way as the tech boom and the RE run up.

Over the past few years, we've seen ups and downs w/tech stocks, dot coms, general RE, subprime loans, and quite a few other things.

So, when the press now talks about "the _______ boom", they inevitably follow a few days/months later by talk of "the _____ bubble" and then "the upcoming ______ bust".

I found it hilarious when the press started talking about "the RE bubble" when RE started trending upwards (RE goes in cycles, something that's happened for decades, up-down-flat-up-flat-down-up- etc).

Because they'd been caught napping as the dot coms crashed (and took all their 401Ks with it), I think the press was determined to document the cyclic increase in RE as a similar "bubble" event to the dot com boom-bust.

Over the past few years, I read articles where "RE experts predicted" a RE bust for 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 . . . all during this time, RE prices were going NUTS in some parts of the country. As you know, we rode this and made some great money (sold all of our residential RE in 2005, just as the market was starting to turn).

So while the press predicted gloom and doom, we made millions.

The press finally did got their "bubble burst". But it took YEARS for the predictions to come true.

Instead of just Chicken Little-ing and saying "Oh no! It's gonna fall soon!", we tried to learn what was going on w'/the RE markets.

Because we learned about the markets (instead of just worrying about when they would fall), we made lots and lots (and lots) of money.

In my opinion, the biggest reason we saw a run up in RE prices between 2000 and 2005 was

1. the massive lowering of interest rates, and
2. the subsequent FLOOD of cash into the markets, combined with
3. a HUGE number of people who wanted to cash in on their home's newfound equity, either by selling their home (and buying another), or by getting a HELOC (home equity line of credit) and using it like a credit card.

This prompted lenders (who were selling off the loans as mortgage backed securities) into a cash giveaway the likes of which I haven't seen in my lifetime.

So now we're in a RE downturn, just like many downturns we learned about when we studied the RE markets. Sure, this one had different reasons for the run up and down (each one does). But it had NOTHING to do w/what caused the dot com boom and bust.

For the press to draw parallels between RE's rise and fall to the dot com and tech speculative bubbles was just plain goofy. It showed a fundamental lack of understanding of how RE cycles work, or what was fueling the run up in RE prices.

I guess that's the point of this post/rant.

Just b/c something goes up does not mean it's in a "bubble". And when it's going up, the question to ask is NOT "when will it burst?", but "why is it going up", and "how long will it continue?".

The press's POV ("when will it burst?") focuses on the negative, money-losing part of the cycle.

Our 2 questions ("why is it going up?", "how long will it last?") look at markets and cycles, and try to understand them.

Before someone brings it up, yes, I know, you can "short" something, banking on its demise, and make money on a "burst".

But if you understand the market, why not do both-- make money on the rise, and the fall?

Make money-- like crazy-- while the prices go up.

And-- if you understand how the market works-- get out and "short" as its turning.

Back to where I started on this post: Oil going up has very little to do with the mechanism that caused the RE cycle to go up/down.

Even if oil increasing is due to speculation by investors (much like the dot com "boom"), the implications are quite different, as we currently rely on oil to run our lives. Unlike dot coms, we won't see a brand new website ("alternative fuel") that overnight draws 90% of the "traffic" away from buying from current oil suppliers.

Over time, yes. I agree w/Bilge-- having a run up in oil prices is *great* for alternative sources of energy, and developing new ways to get power. I see this as the biggest advantage of the rapid increase in oil prices: We will eventually become less dependent on oil.

But in the meantime, instead of looking at the potential "burst bubble", I wanted to focus on the fact that some folks out there are making a LOT -- a LOT of money on oil right now.

And the next time you read about a "bubble", ask yourself not "when will it burst?", but "why is it going up?" and "how long will it last?".

Asking these 2 questions gets you away from FEAR and LOSS, and focuses instead on HOW TO MAXIMIZE YOUR POTENTIAL PROFIT in all cycles of a growing market.

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Preamble: I don't think of bubbles and bursts in terms of losing or making money. Not directly anyway. I don't see these words through the eyes of the press either, so I'm not really sure what kind of 'fear' culture they are putting out there...

Every market goes up and down. Every market is subject to the same overall forces and every market is driven in part by the emotional factor and will attract speculators.

To me, a bubble is overinflated prices due to - as JScott put it - irrational exuberance. By the time we got to 06, 07 - - - if you could take a step back and look w/out emotion at RE prices - - - you could see that the prices were overinflated. During the tech "boom" days you could see overinflated values there too.

Russ - - I think you have excellent points. It is so important to ask the right questions.

Why are prices going up?

Is it due to speculation? Is this speculation causing over inflation of prices?
Is it due to supply / demand issues?
Demographics? Population Trends? Politics?

Bubbles do make a lot of people a lot of money.... And Bursts do too.... for the savvy investors anyway. For the investors that are asking the right questions and looking at the big picture too.

I'd be curious about this:

Of all the people that made a killing in the real estate run up - - - what % still have that money today?
What % are making even more money today?
What % lost it all?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Almost 3 years ago, I called the start of the housing crash:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8561

PhxDiablo said:
August 10th, 2005
I have reason to believe the "Housing Bubble" is starting ... at least here in PHOENIX. Let me give you the reasons why:

1) Investors are liquidating their rentals in hopes to cash out.
2) Influx of sellers (Investors cashing out and home owners looking for a quick liquidiation) is causing MORE SELLERS.
3) Interest rates have gone up = LESS BUYERS.
4) Higher interest rates erode investor margins on cash flowing houses forcing them to SELL.
5) Rapid appreciation have priced buyers out of the market = LESS BUYERS.
6) Salaries in PHX have not appreciated in correlation with housing = LESS BUYERS.
7) REITS in the last 5 days have lost 10% of their values and their dividend yields are at an all time low.

From the law of supply and demand -- when sellers exceed buyers, prices drop. All this throws us in a direction of MORE SELLERS and LESS BUYERS.

Furthermore, when the plumber that comes over and fixes your toilet starts bragging about how much $$ he has made in Real Estate, you know its time to sell.

I believe this is the beginning of the end.

This wasn't based on a feeling, but just observation of the economics of my local market going on at the time. Of course, I was met by lots of opposition by folks in that forum "Things are great!" and other exuberance (another sign of a top).

The common denominator in all the asset booms of the past (Housing, Tech, and now oil) is speculation. Speculators drive up prices looking for big gains. Investors off the street can buy oil, whereas years ago, they couldn't unless they hooked into a futures account.

However, what is different is that oil is a commodity that everyone uses (unlike stocks and RE) and operates under different laws and economics. We are dealing with a physical, tangible asset where virtually none of the investors (speculators) take delivery of the asset ... the contracts are just passing hands.

I wonder if it just becomes a greater fool type merry-go-round.

Those unknowns keep me away from speculating in pure oil plays ... I'd rather short the dollar and buy metals.

So to follow on Russ's questions ... "Why is it going up" -- my answer to that question keeps me from being an investor (speculator). I don't want to be the greater fool.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
6) Salaries in PHX have not appreciated in correlation with housing = LESS BUYERS.

This is a great indicator to help see if the price is higher than the actual value of the asset. The price of housing can not sustain itself if the people that live there can't afford it..... unless you have a culture in which rich out of state-ers bring in the $ and buy second homes. (which is something you find in some places in MT)

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I think another factor is who is pushing the exuberance. For stocks, just about everyone (myself included) was jumping in. The real estate was a little less so. With oil, I see a lot less of the common man involved in the craze. This leads me to believe that either: 1) it is not a bubble or 2) the bubble has a while to go to get to the top.

The common man factor is always the strongest leading indicator for me.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
The common man factor is always the strongest leading indicator for me.

Ya, true enough. I have a hard time keeping my pulse on "the man in the street" though.

True Story: In 2006 literally 1/2 of the police officers in a town in Montana were building spec houses....

Time to get out of real estate?

imirza

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jul 29, 2007
Liquidity is a major reason for the run up in oil. The Fed started cutting the discount rate August 17th 2007 Followed by the Fund Rate a month later. The Fed rate has dropped from 5.25% to 2% over the last 9 months. In the same period the price of oil has doubled. Cutting rates to increase liquidity in the market has caused the excess money to go into commodities, especially oil.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.