The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are there laws around saying your product is "The world's best".

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I know this sounds very "door to door salesguy" or "pitchy" - but I, as someone who has worked in the industry I serve, really believe that our software is the world's best franchise intranet. In my marketing, I say a lot of- "the world's most advanced intranet solution", or "the easiest intranet you'll implement", etc.

Obviously, this is subjective - but are there legal ramifications from making these claims?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm not a lawyer so I can only speak for myself: I'd only claim that if one of my customers/clients/readers said that in a documented testimonial.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
@TreyAllDay -

I took a Business Law class in college many moons ago, and I remember studying the law around advertising and marketing. Using a term like "Worlds Best" is known as Puffery. (puffing up; exaggerating, etc)

Generally speaking it is not illegal, but you do need to be careful in how you word things when it comes to marketing and advertising. (I am NOT a lawyer nor am I giving legal advice)

The FTC interprets your intention based on what the average consumer would take literally or not, or how likely they are to be deceived by your wording. They will come down hard on false advertising.

Here's an article on Deceptive Advertising that may help clarify:

http://www.econedlink.org/lesson/663/Deceptive-Advertising-Crossing-Line

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I am definitely Not a Lawyer myself, but, there are many companies who use this term, even when they know their product isn't even worth leaving the factories. The times we live in, consumers (well Most consumers) are no longer going by what advertisers say about a product, they seek proof, whether in the form of a trial, or actual purchase/testimonial etc. I believe that because so many companies use this term so loosely, consumers use at their discretion and when a company claims such, they better be right, because the Court of Public Opinion, in these Social Media Times will crucify the company for such.

If indeed, as you have mentioned your product is genuine and of excellence and it absolutely adds value/solves an issue(s), then over the period of time, your own Customers, in the Court of Public Opinion will testify just that, without having to be coerced into doing so.

All the best on your product/service.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
You could offer a trial, maybe limited to a certain number, saying: "Test it for xxx time and tell us if you agree that it's the world's most advanced intranet solution." I don't know the nature of the product, so you might not be able to limit the trial period.

Walter

acerseller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jan 21, 2017
US
I know this sounds very "door to door salesguy" or "pitchy" - but I, as someone who has worked in the industry I serve, really believe that our software is the world's best franchise intranet. In my marketing, I say a lot of- "the world's most advanced intranet solution", or "the easiest intranet you'll implement", etc.

Obviously, this is subjective - but are there legal ramifications from making these claims?

I think it doesn't matter because you shouldn't use the phrase anyway. It doesn't do a strong job of compelling a customer because it isn't specific and it is easy for anyone to make the claim.

Instead, show exactly the benefits you provide that make you think it is the best.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.