• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Are there laws around saying your product is "The world's best".

Discussion in 'Asset Protection/Taxes/Legal' started by TreyAllDay, Jul 14, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $523
    I know this sounds very "door to door salesguy" or "pitchy" - but I, as someone who has worked in the industry I serve, really believe that our software is the world's best franchise intranet. In my marketing, I say a lot of- "the world's most advanced intranet solution", or "the easiest intranet you'll implement", etc.

Obviously, this is subjective - but are there legal ramifications from making these claims?

2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $213,863
    Admin Post
    I'm not a lawyer so I can only speak for myself: I'd only claim that if one of my customers/clients/readers said that in a documented testimonial.

TreyAllDay, Walter Hay, Scot and 3 others like this.
  3. Bellini

Bellini Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,406
    @TreyAllDay -

I took a Business Law class in college many moons ago, and I remember studying the law around advertising and marketing. Using a term like "Worlds Best" is known as Puffery. (puffing up; exaggerating, etc)

Generally speaking it is not illegal, but you do need to be careful in how you word things when it comes to marketing and advertising. (I am NOT a lawyer nor am I giving legal advice)

The FTC interprets your intention based on what the average consumer would take literally or not, or how likely they are to be deceived by your wording. They will come down hard on false advertising.

Here's an article on Deceptive Advertising that may help clarify:

http://www.econedlink.org/lesson/663/Deceptive-Advertising-Crossing-Line

TreyAllDay, Charnell, ZF Lee and 3 others like this.
  4. Iammelissamoore

Iammelissamoore Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,449
    I am definitely Not a Lawyer myself, but, there are many companies who use this term, even when they know their product isn't even worth leaving the factories. The times we live in, consumers (well Most consumers) are no longer going by what advertisers say about a product, they seek proof, whether in the form of a trial, or actual purchase/testimonial etc. I believe that because so many companies use this term so loosely, consumers use at their discretion and when a company claims such, they better be right, because the Court of Public Opinion, in these Social Media Times will crucify the company for such.

If indeed, as you have mentioned your product is genuine and of excellence and it absolutely adds value/solves an issue(s), then over the period of time, your own Customers, in the Court of Public Opinion will testify just that, without having to be coerced into doing so.

All the best on your product/service.

TreyAllDay likes this.
  5. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $31,154
    You could offer a trial, maybe limited to a certain number, saying: "Test it for xxx time and tell us if you agree that it's the world's most advanced intranet solution." I don't know the nature of the product, so you might not be able to limit the trial period.

Walter

6. acerseller

acerseller Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $202
    I think it doesn't matter because you shouldn't use the phrase anyway. It doesn't do a strong job of compelling a customer because it isn't specific and it is easy for anyone to make the claim.

Instead, show exactly the benefits you provide that make you think it is the best.

TreyAllDay likes this.