The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are People Wired To ENJOY Bad News?

Anything related to matters of the mind

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
From my observations it seems that people LOVE bad news .

They are way more in tune to the negative information then the positive.

From listening to people at my job , to listening to other people in general , people LOVE to talk about how bad things are or bad things going on more then the positive. They LOVE to complain . And they LOVE to blame others for their problems. And they almost get excited when they hear bad news and are eager to inform people like. "Hey have you all heard that ________ <-- (Insert negativity here)"

Now we can go into how its a mindset thing which it probably 100% is.

But i just find it interesting due to the fact that i try my hardest to extract EVERY piece of negativity out of my life that i can.

I dont watch the news (or tv in general) it try not to engage in negative convos, i dont watch negative or depressing shows or movies on netflix ,i dont let my closest friends bring negativity around , and certain other things.

And with this it seems it clears my head not being surrounded by negativity or talking about it . Im alot happier and i notice that life isnt so bad. Im even more positive towards people when negative thoughts arent clouding my head

Am i the only one that has noticed this trend?​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
People seek things that confirm their existing beliefs.

If someone believes that the world is bad and getting worse, they will seek out and actively share this bad news.

If someone believes that the world is good and getting better, they will seek out and actively share good news.

I don't think most people are naturally negative. However, most people do respond to fear, and because of this, the 'Debbie Downers' of the world have a captive audience.

Take advantage of this in your marketing communications.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
From my observations it seems that people LOVE bad news .

They are way more in tune to the negative information then the positive.

From listening to people at my job , to listening to other people in general , people LOVE to talk about how bad things are or bad things going on more then the positive. They LOVE to complain . And they LOVE to blame others for their problems. And they almost get excited when they hear bad news and are eager to inform people like. "Hey have you all heard that ________ <-- (Insert negativity here)"

Now we can go into how its a mindset thing which it probably 100% is.

But i just find it interesting due to the fact that i try my hardest to extract EVERY piece of negativity out of my life that i can.

I dont watch the news (or tv in general) it try not to engage in negative convos, i dont watch negative or depressing shows or movies on netflix ,i dont let my closest friends bring negativity around , and certain other things.

And with this it seems it clears my head not being surrounded by negativity or talking about it . Im alot happier and i notice that life isnt so bad. Im even more positive towards people when negative thoughts arent clouding my head

Am i the only one that has noticed this trend?​

People are wired to read from left to right, so I edited your OP.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
It makes them feel better about their crap lives.

Probably the only reason one could need to explain it :)

If you watch the news all day you could get the feeling that the world's a complete mess full of accidents and bad people..

That's one reason why I don't have cable tv for years. I like to believe that there are way more good things happening in this world than bad. But good things don't seem to attract as many viewers..

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
I'd be willing to say people have a tendency to remember and focus on bad things because, from an evolutionary standpoint, bad things are likely to be life-threatening. Your brain would benefit from remembering the details of almost being hit by a car more than the details of someone giving you a surprise raise. You really don't want to get hit by a car, but not getting another raise probably won't kill you. I think there's some science to back this up, but there's also a good chance I'm blowing smoke out my arse. It sounds good though.

That being said, while you may remember the details of negative events more clearly, choosing to focus on them is your own issue.

G

GuestUserX09

It's because in the past thousands of years, it was survival to pay attention to the bad things. I.e. poisonous berries, cheetahs, hunting traps, tribe wars, mammoths, dinosaurs, etc.

This is probably the first couple hundred centuries in history where it doesn't really pay off to pay such close attention to negatives.

This applies to many things, but it is very beneficial nowadays to attempt to shake primitive instincts that have been built over the last several thousand years that no longer serve a purpose to us.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I'd be willing to say people have a tendency to remember and focus on bad things because, from an evolutionary standpoint, bad things are likely to be life-threatening. Your brain would benefit from remembering the details of almost being hit by a car more than the details of someone giving you a surprise raise. You really don't want to get hit by a car, but not getting another raise probably won't kill you. I think there's some science to back this up, but there's also a good chance I'm blowing smoke out my arse. It sounds good though.

That being said, while you may remember the details of negative events more clearly, choosing to focus on them is your own issue.
lmao sounds good

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Our brains are actually more stimulated by negative experiences than positive ones. There's more electrical impulses in a brain that recalls a memory that it would consider negative than a positive one.

The reason our brains have evolved this way is as a defence mechanism. In the wild we would have had to deeply remember negative experiences to ensure our own survival.

Self-help gurus and these so-called "experts" are always trying to blame people for "being negative" when in reality, we're just functioning with the hand that evolution gave us.

Maybe in the future our brains will further evolve to the new artificial environment we've created for ourselves, but for now the best we can do is try to master this evolutionary quirk.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
If It Bleeds, It Leads

News programming uses a hierarchy if it bleeds, it leads. Fear-based news programming has two aims. The first is to grab the viewer's attention. In the news media, this is called the teaser. The second aim is to persuade the viewer that the solution for reducing the identified fear will be in the news story.

If a teaser asks,

"What's in your tap water that YOU need to know about?"

A viewer will likely tune in to get the up-to-date information to ensure safety......

Source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...leeds-it-leads-understanding-fear-based-media

A

Anon38776

The same reason why people spend hours on the couch watching a TV -- it numbs reality.

Posiedon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 13, 2015

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
If It Bleeds, It Leads

News programming uses a hierarchy if it bleeds, it leads. Fear-based news programming has two aims. The first is to grab the viewer's attention. In the news media, this is called the teaser. The second aim is to persuade the viewer that the solution for reducing the identified fear will be in the news story.

If a teaser asks,

"What's in your tap water that YOU need to know about?"

A viewer will likely tune in to get the up-to-date information to ensure safety......

Source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...leeds-it-leads-understanding-fear-based-media
I knew I hated news for a reason lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.