The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are Neck, Shoulder or Back pain a problem for you?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
You guys will love the book Becoming A Supple Leopard. It’s by a guy. Lots of stretches and exercises to resolve pain.

Passive therapy is excellent for learning how to down regulate your nervous system, breathe with your diaphragm, and recuperate. However, exercise w/ weights will do more for many ppl than passive therapies ever will. Loading the joints and muscles and making sure that every movement has stability/strength will get you much closer to a life without pain.

If you have back pain, just learning how to correctly squat (GLUTE dominant not quads) and get your a$$ down to the ground can reset your pelvic floor thus supporting your spine in remarkable ways.

Malleren

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Sep 3, 2019
Hey there

I saw this thread in here about stretching and back pain, which really inspired me. But it also made me think about neck and shoulder pain, which I have experienced myself.
One thing I missed in the thread is the talk about the importance of good posture. A lot of times bad posture lead to or intensify neck, shoulder and back pain.

So I wanted to give you guys a general idea of what you can do to fix your bad posture(stretching is included).
  • The general idea about bad posture is, one side is tight and the other side is weakened. An example would be tight pectoralis major(pec muscle) and a weakened rhomboideus(scapular muscle).
  • What you would do here is to first loosen up the pec muscle with stretching, followed by strengthening the scapular muscle.
This general concept can be used almost everywhere bad posture occurs.

If you want to know who I am, please read my intro thread where I give some tips as well.

If you have any problems with neck, shoulder or back pain I would love to help you.
Send me a message and we can talk more about your specific case.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I am 60 years old now. I did have lower back problems on the right side. Tried stretching, massage, and chiro for a while and nothing helped. Began working on my core strength and pulled my stomach in. Pain went away.

Began lifting and working out last October and found out my right shoulder is messed up, totally out of line. It was lower and rolled forward. I tried ignoring it, working through it, and made the pain worse with impingement. I had the shoulder evaluated for any tears and it was OK. With work the shoulder joint finally popped backward into place. I can now work out with much less pain and restriction of movement.

Now I am working on weak scapula muscles on the right side. Lots of stretching, rowing, and back weight exercises. I feel like I am making progress.

Any thoughts or ideas that would speed this recovery up?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I am 60 years old now. I did have lower back problems on the right side. Tried stretching, massage, and chiro for a while and nothing helped. Began working on my core strength and pulled my stomach in. Pain went away.

Began lifting and working out last October and found out my right shoulder is messed up, totally out of line. It was lower and rolled forward. I tried ignoring it, working through it, and made the pain worse with impingement. I had the shoulder evaluated for any tears and it was OK. With work the shoulder joint finally popped backward into place. I can now work out with much less pain and restriction of movement.

Now I am working on weak scapula muscles on the right side. Lots of stretching, rowing, and back weight exercises. I feel like I am making progress.

Any thoughts or ideas that would speed this recovery up?

Get more massages. Also try to find a structural bodyworker, or rolfer type of masseuse.

If you're not already working out with a trainer, I'd recommend you find one that specializes in sports performance (not body building), they will be able to see which muscles are weak and aren't pulling their own weight.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
For those with tight psoas muscles, get the pro-rite. Works wonders, but is expensive.

Also, get a pullup bar and just hang on it for 1-2 minutes a day.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Hey Guys,

I thought I might chime in. I'm a Physical Therapist, I have seen a lot of low back and neck pain patients. @Malleren is correct. A lot of the patients I see have some sort of posture deficits that are caused by muscular imbalances. The most common postural neck pain is caused by "Upper Cross Syndrome" (Video to Explain).

A good way to determine if you have postural pain is:
1. When do you have your back/neck pain?
Is it 24/7 or is it at a certain time of the day? Do you work at a desk all day?
If your pain is intermittent and you notice that certain activities cause pain(i.e sitting at your desk, carrying groceries, driving your car) then you very well MAY have postural related back pain.

2. What are your symptoms?
Back/neck pain comes in many forms. If your pain is in the middle of your spine or feels like your muscles have trigger points(knots in your muscles) than posture MAY be your problem. If you are having radiating pain down ONE or BOTH of your legs or arms, you MAY have more than just postural back/neck pain.

My favorite book to suggest to patients with low back pain is "The Back Mechanic" by Stuart McGill. The book is meant for patients, so it is in layman terms, but in-depth enough that I, as a PT, found it incredibly insightful.

Favorite Exercises for Neck Posture:

Chin Tucks(Look up videos that focus on Deep Neck Flexors)
Lower Trap and MidTrap exercises, MAKE SURE you are not shrugging your shoulders(Don't want to bring in your Upper Traps).

Favorite Low Back Exercises:

Strengthening your Transverse Abdominal muscles. Stuart McGill's book explains it well. Basically the concept is to stabilize your spine and pelvis while doing exercises with your legs.

If you have any questions. Feel free to ask. My suggestions are only that...suggestions. As a PT, I suggest getting your back and neck pain checked out, as you don't want to screw up your back or neck for the rest of your life. However, the exercises above are TYPICALLY very good exercises IF you can perform them properly.

Hope this finds someone well :)

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Am nursing a low back pain atm. It most likely is a muscle issue, though hard to say.

It happened a day after I gave my dog a wash. He is very fussy. I was bent over at my pelvis and spent like 30 minutes washing him. It was a lot of work.

The next morning, my back started hurting. It was left of the spine, where the QL muscle should be.

It's been 4-5 days now. The pain has reduced. It still hurts to bend over or get up quickly if am lying down.

If it doesn't get better in another couple of days, am going to get an MRI.

Your psoas is prolly wicked tight. Warrior pose in yoga can help but the reason your psoas is tight/weak has a lot more to do with pelvic floor weakness than most ppl realize. I cannot encourage ppl on this thread and others enough that mastering a glute dominant squat will RADICALLY change your life.

I’ve helped ppl who had rods in their back, spinal fusions, chronic pain.. etc, etc. It takes effort and time, stretching and lifting, moving in ways you’re not used to to change how your nervous system functions..

But it’s entirely possible to get relief for most ppl.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
Eurgh, I have lower back pain from (thankfully mild) scoliosis, & upper back pain from being cold a lot, & therefore tense (because my body is a genius that thinks I will warm up that way somehow).

Tennis balls & a yoga ball are my friend (for essentially self massage & stretching) but I know I have a lot of work to do to gain strength that will help a lot.

There is a biomechanist who has some good stuff on this. Was using her book on (re)building your core, & a lot of it was actually stretches. She has a good way of explaining how the different tensions in the body do or do not help. She's called Katy Bowman, & is the author of Move Your DNA amongst other books.

If you have back pain, just learning how to correctly squat (GLUTE dominant not quads) and get your a$$ down to the ground can reset your pelvic floor thus supporting your spine in remarkable ways.

And indeed here are two of her blog posts on the matter:

You Don’t Know Squat

You (Still) Don’t Know Squat

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Eurgh, I have lower back pain from (thankfully mild) scoliosis, & upper back pain from being cold a lot, & therefore tense (because my body is a genius that thinks I will warm up that way somehow).

Tennis balls & a yoga ball are my friend (for essentially self massage & stretching) but I know I have a lot of work to do to gain strength that will help a lot.

There is a biomechanist who has some good stuff on this. Was using her book on (re)building your core, & a lot of it was actually stretches. She has a good way of explaining how the different tensions in the body do or do not help. She's called Katy Bowman, & is the author of Move Your DNA amongst other books.

And indeed here are two of her blog posts on the matter:

You Don’t Know Squat

You (Still) Don’t Know Squat

I’m so glad you posted these! The last time I did nobody really said anything. I don’t think the guys on here understand how life changing it can be for them.

Most pelvic floor influencers/leaders are women so a lot of men really haven’t heard how important it is to have their hips and back aligned. There’s plenty of guys who do squat stuff too.

Like this Aussie

Here are a bunch of great ppl to follow on Instagram that show step by step movements to help low back problems. (I would have posted earlier I was just working.)

@apexstrengthsociety
@theprehabguys
@squat_university
@kimfrench87 (hot chick)
@functionalmvmt
@jtm_fit (best guy out there imho)
@primal.swoledier

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Lower back pain is a problem. Are there any recommendations you can provide?

Buy the book, 8 Steps To A Healthy Back by Esther Gokhale

It will change your life forever.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Are Neck, Shoulder Or Back Pain A Problem For You?

Yep. Sore neck, sore shoulders, stiff middle back, history of lower back pain. I see a chiropractor every 6 weeks, or sooner.

Most probably stems from carrying heavy school bags on the same shoulder as I grew up. Then I kept running round bends the same way, and pulled my lower back when I wasn't wearing spikes and the track was wet. Then working on computers for nearly 30 years.

I could do with seeing a physio to figure out what's wrong with my shoulders. Maybe too many shoulder presses with my elbows too far back? Anyway... they're weak, click a bit, and get stuck sometimes when I'm trying to move them.

ralajoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 9, 2019
Champion,

The answer here is tough because there is a myriad of possible causes. As Rumor said, chiro, massages and strengthening the core are good places to start after you have been checked for any tears, nerve inmpingements, etc. I am a fan of the chiro myself but my massage therapist actually helped my shoulder more. The one thing to know is that when you fix one thing the body has a way of making it a map of the other things you never really noticed where wrong. Over time these all become bigger things that is why Rumor is going through all of what is happening there. Our body does whatever it has to in order for us to remain upright so if the lower back is off the rest of the skeletal system is probably off too. Don't wait to start strengthening now and get the help but know the road may be long to full health.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Get more massages. Also try to find a structural bodyworker, or rolfer type of masseuse.

If you're not already working out with a trainer, I'd recommend you find one that specializes in sports performance (not body building), they will be able to see which muscles are weak and aren't pulling their own weight.

Will see a Rolfer tomorrow and looking for a trainer. Thanks for the suggestions.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I have pretty bad lower backpain, I get work done on it every week, yet no one can actually tell me what it is as they all have a different answer.

It's only recently I have found someone that gives me pain relief with treatment but if I don't go in to get work done every week it's back to the way it was before.

Dr. Fastlane

Amor Fati!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jul 20, 2018
Gurgaon
Am nursing a low back pain atm. It most likely is a muscle issue, though hard to say.

It happened a day after I gave my dog a wash. He is very fussy. I was bent over at my pelvis and spent like 30 minutes washing him. It was a lot of work.

The next morning, my back started hurting. It was left of the spine, where the QL muscle should be.

It's been 4-5 days now. The pain has reduced. It still hurts to bend over or get up quickly if am lying down.

If it doesn't get better in another couple of days, am going to get an MRI.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I think, everyone has those problems, so earlyer, so later.
i ve been through everything related to pain nearly.
And I can give you some advice . No book or course, but some own experience.

Lower back pain: comes, when I bend over for a longer time. Repairin a ca, washing a dog, holding a child learning bicycle and so on. Hard to get rid of.
Additionaly there is the stiffness of the middle back, which forces the lower bach to bend more.
My solution, and I ask you to try for a week and than tell:
every day, when I wake up, I sit at my bed , I take my legs and go back, throwing my legs over my shoulders. I go back so far, as I can. I try to make a back somersault as far as easy possible. Than feet with hands down again. That I do 20 times. When I go back, I feel that bending the middle back is easier every turn.
As long as I do that every morning.my lower back pain is calm. Try it! But dont let anybody watch! You will be badly laught at.

Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Shoulder pain: when I got older, I got latent shoulder pain for a long period. After trying every usual, I found for my: my shoulder are a bit cold and therefor they hurt. Since than I use to wear a vest And my shoulder pain is gone.

Adding I must tell, Im a sportaholic. I make much sports. Running, climbing, motocross, bicycling. So, weak muscles never were really an issue.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Neck pain: I had neck pain many years, got rid of them when I used to buy expensive, very light helmets for motocross And wearing vests or scarvs to keep it warm.
So that helmetproblem might be no help for anybody here, not riding bike.
But keeping warm is.

My ideas are easy to implement. They need not to help absolutely, but therefore they are free.
Try and tell!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.