The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Appliance Flipping

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
Honestly man - you work way too hard.

You have to pick these up - clean and test them - deliver them when sold. All for $200? Maybe less?

If, as a side benefit, you're built like a brick sheet house, then that's a great side benefit. But the money - - - I hope your customers tip you well. I would. We've had some pretty hefty furniture delivered lately, and those boys didn't get out the door without a hefty tip!

It can be hard work yes, but I'm not sure if I plan on really starting a business doing this or just build capital to start other types of businesses, when I was hitting it hard last summer I was averaging $1,000 per week which sure beats flipping burgers or working for the man at some other crappy low paying job haha. I just created a dummy ad with pictures I downloaded of a front load set I found on craigslist in Houston Texas, ( when doing this I quickly respond when someone asks about them and say they've been sold to not hold them up from finding something esle) I listed this set for $700 with Free Delivery in the city I live in in the South East on Craigslist, offerup, letgo, and Facebook market place to see what type of interest I can get, I'm trying to find more profitable appliances now to flip, the most $ I've made in a single day so far is $700, that was just the 4 deliveries had in that day and doesn't count the picking them up, cleaning and testing them a different day. I hurt my back a little while ago though ( I listen to my body better now and don't over due it and work to many straight days or if to sore) and had to stop flipping for a bit, I spent all my savings and am just now really getting back into it to save again for starting something up. But I'm also learning about the ecommerce, cleaning, and real estate business.I do have analysis paralysis though and spend way to much time reading and not enough taking action and applying what I've learned, I just gotta pick something and go with it darn it :)

Top loading washers and dryers aren't that heavy though, I have a regular size dolly I bought from Lowes or Home Depot, and a stair climbing dolly I bought from Northern tool for $100, the wheels rotate to help climb stairs. they also make heavy duty large appliance dollys, and fancy more expensive type stair climbing dollys, and even more expensive hydraulic style or power operated stair climbing dollys that I may invest in in the future. There are lots of different types.

https://dollyinnovations.com Fancy style stair climbers

Roughneck Industrial Appliance Truck 1200-lb Capacity 188212UHeavy duty industrial style dolly

Wesco Stairking Battery Powered Stair Climbing Appliance Hand Truck Power style stair climber

Roughneck Stair Climber Hand Truck — 550-Lb. Capacity, Solid Rubber Tires | Northern Tool + Equipment Stair climber I have... Tip don't use it for going down stairs, it will try and pull you down with it :) use a regular dolly for going down

Harper Loop Handle Hand Truck - 55HA22 I have this one too

I use a 1997 Ford F150 truck I bought off of Craigslist for $1,750 to haul my washers and dryers. Some people use a Van to stay out of the weather, others use a utility trailer. I can fit two W/D sets at a time in the back of my truck. Tip... if you turn the washers and dryers side ways they are less wide, so I load them front facing front x 2 in the back of my truck, and also to get through a skinny doorway when delivering them. I have to cock one of the dryers up on my wheel well to fit them like this, I can fit my dolly in the back as well. I then strap them in with ratchet straps or just bungy cords. When I deliver or pick them up I get someone to help me load or unload them into the back of my truck if they are willing, if not I place a blanket over the tailgate to keep from scratching them and lift them in on their sides, then adjust upward and into position. When I get them home I use a ramp I bought online to unload them, I don't like carrying the ramp with me though to get them because it takes more time to hook it up, and it takes up too much space if picking up more than one set at a time. Also, if delivering to a second or third floor I require help from the buyer to get them up stairs.

Black Widow Aluminum Extra-Wide Punch Plate Tri-Fold ATV Ramps I bought the 94" ramp, it is a good one

I bought a 10 x 20 storage logic shelter to store my units in, I bought two extra large spiral anchors from tractor supply to go along with the 4 smaller size anchors that came with them, I also bought a big 10 x 20 or was it 20 x 20? Thick heavy duty vinyl tarp online to drape over the top of the shelter, I read the thinner tarp that comes with the shelter logic storage shelter rips after a while on the top when exposed to prolong sun light, and read in a forum somewhere about a guy using the vinyl tarp on top. I also bought a gromet making kit to make gromet holes around the edge of the vinyl tarp, then draped the vinyl tarp over the finished storage logic shelter and used rope through the gromet holes to tie down to the spiral ground anchors. The ground anchors were hell to install, I used a probing rod that I beat into the ground with a block placed on top the rod and a hammer, or was it a sledge hammer? To make a pilot hole, then spun down the anchors, will make a man of you quick lol.

My dad helped me install a 3 prong and 4 prong dryer plug outlet into a receptacle box that holds both, we installed it outside on the side of the house coming out the breaker box. It is my dryer testing station, much easier than dragging them inside to test. To test washers, use a y 2 way hose connector, 2 hoses, and extention cord.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask my friends :)

Last edited:

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
As far as real estate investing I'm looking into different types, such as airbnb rental, mobile home parks, storage units, single family homes, apartments, flipping, etc. It can be overwhelming trying to choose but I just gotta pick something.

A couple good threads I've come across...

GOLD! - 24 Years old: QUIT six-figure Job, Launched two Businesses

GOLD! - STOP Paying Rent: Live For Free

How to Make a Million Dollars from Real Estate: A Step By Step Path

Featured User - SteveO: From Employee to RE Investor to Golf Course Owner...

Also a tip for any forum new b's, read the forums marked as Gold threads, lots of good info in them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
As far as the appliance business goes, an idea I've thought about is trying to set up a washer dryer flipping operation in multiple major cities in the US, a little while back I created an ad on the Dallas Texas craigslist saying that I was looking to partner with someone interested in selling used washers and dryers, I stated I would find them and list them for sale, and they would pick up, clean and test, and deliver. I had several people reply to my ad, but never really pursued it.

I was thinking of a 50/50 profit split or a 40/60 profit split in their favor. I was going to teach them the process of cleaning, testing, and point out good youtube videos for fixing washers and dryers. As well the best way for transporting, loading, etc, etc. But I wasn't planning on telling them where or how I bought and sold them in case they might kick me to the curb and continue with out me lol. Although I guess they could ask a customer where they found the washer dryer for sale, or Google how to do it on their own. They would also need a dolly and a place to store them, a shed or a storage unit, a truck, and a testing station. All problems that would have to be overcome, but man if I or someone else could pull this off in several major US cities you could make a bundle. :)

Y'all think it could work?

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
As far as the appliance business goes, an idea I've thought about is trying to set up a washer dryer flipping operation in multiple major cities in the US, a little while back I created an ad on the Dallas Texas craigslist saying that I was looking to partner with someone interested in selling used washers and dryers, I stated I would find them and list them for sale, and they would pick up, clean and test, and deliver. I had several people reply to my ad, but never really pursued it.

I was thinking of a 50/50 profit split or a 40/60 profit split in their favor. I was going to teach them the process of cleaning, testing, and point out good youtube videos for fixing washers and dryers. As well the best way for transporting, loading, etc, etc. But I wasn't planning on telling them where or how I bought and sold them in case they might kick me to the curb and continue with out me lol. Although I guess they could ask a customer where they found the washer dryer for sale, or Google how to do it on their own. They would also need a dolly and a place to store them, a shed or a storage unit, a truck, and a testing station. All problems that would have to be overcome, but man if I or someone else could pull this off in several major US cities you could make a bundle. :)

You are a dynamo. Work is a four letter word that never scared you, obviously.

I actually was quite a worker in my younger days, and have a bad back to show for it. So I have no desire to jump into something like that. I also thought about the jewelry business at one time - because it's soooo easy to hand a tiny little diamond ring to someone to look at. Washing machines or refrigerators? Do I look like I want to lift my weight (or more) in steel and move it up and down a flight of stairs?

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I can't stand the thought of you ramping this up and doing a dozen or more machines a week. It's. just. way. too. much. work.

There has to be an easier way to make money out there.

Lazy people do have their advantages, you know - they look for the easy way to do things. LOL.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio

It would be interesting to hear @Kak thoughts on this (scaling). Dude, thinks on a totally different, awesome level.

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
Yup, the next level is bulk purchasing inventory. I did a couple of bulk purchases from re-habbed apartment complexes. I'd pay $40-50 for "as is" washers/dryers that I knew were a good brand that I could work on.

Yup, I really tried to figure a way to make the numbers work on national shipping. Not happening on used appliances.

This is the big money. Right now, there is no nationally recognized brand of used appliance dealer. There's a couple strictly "appliance repair" chains, but no used appliance dealers. I got out of the biz, but the opportunity is RIPE for someone who can do internet marketing and franchising. There was not one competitor in the entire Dallas metroplex who had a website with inventory, except for me, for the year that I did this.

I think the opportunity for the used dealer market is great, because of the incredibly low quality of new washers/dryers being sold in stores these days. They are built to fail in 4-5 years.

It's just a part of the strategy. If you have to go out to their house to make the delivery anyways, might as well get a free piece of inventory out of it, that you can fix for $20. I would say 40% of my deliveries yielded a new piece of inventory. Bulk purchases would be the ideal way to get inventory for the 60% of inventory that is gone after the deal is done.

How did you find out the apartment complexes were remodeling and had lots of appliances for sale? Calling around different ones?

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
Well, the scrap yard would probably pay you about $10 or so per unit so you would lose a lot of money fast. If you bought a set for $125 and you sold them at the scrap yard for $20 you would lose $105 in your first hour of being in business. lol

Most guys will look on Craigslist and try to buy from there. Sometimes it takes an hour to do that and sometimes it takes 2 weeks. Then you have to drive to where it is located.... try your best to make sure it works good.... then load it and bring it back. So not only would you lost $105 you would also lose all that time.

I normally don't buy from Craigslist nowadays because I have access to all I can sell but I still look on CL sometimes. A few months ago a guy had an almost brand new Whirlpool washer & dryer $650 (used only 2 months)... I emailed and asked if he would take $300. He said no way. 3 weeks later on a Saturday morning he emailed me and said he would take the $300 but I told him all I have now is $250.... he said come and get it. lol So I brought it back home, re-listed it for $550 and sold it within a few minutes. lol Now I could do that because I didn't NEED the set to sell but if you only buy from Craigslist and are kind of desperate for sets, you can't really do that. And, most guys do this to pay the bills and eat (I don't). If that is the case, you can't really mess around like that. If you are doing this to pay the bills you will need to quickly give the guy $300 and not try to haggle (already a GREAT price) because it's very easy for them to find a last minute buyer. I'm not saying to not haggle, I'm just saying to not make the seller too unhappy about low balling.... I'm all for low balling.... just don't push it. :)

May I ask where do you get your inventory from?

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
Dude, you sound bitter, haha.

His course was well worth $150. $150 is cheap for a course that can have you instantly making money, and you get what you pay for. If it was completely top-down comprehensive he could charge $1200-$2000.

I went from knowing jack sh*t to making money fixing dryers in 3 days. Made the money back in less than a week.

Sure, youtube's great, but you need a base level of knowledge to start. To even know what kinds of things to look for.

I love Ryan, and have had nothing but positive interactions with him over the past several years.

What in your opinion should be added to the course to make it completely comprehensive?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
To me the last few pages are really funny because a major appliance guy has said nothing.... because he agrees with me and no I have not spoke with him about this thread because I've been busy with the race car (sold it last year.... he flipped it 1st night out and now needs money to fix it. lol). Once you know about making money from appliances, you will agree with me too. Yes, he did get me rolling on this but compared to what I sell it's like his information is about a model A Ford while I sell a 2016 Ford Mustang. He did bring awareness but soon those antiques won't be available and then what will you do if you can't work on the washers with the computers inside of them? I know LARGE used appliance dealers in Dallas that have no idea what they are going to do when they have to start selling the newer washers. They hire a lot of Mexican guys and those guys don't want to work on the newer type... that's straight from their mouth, not mine. That is my last comment on that section of this thread.

As far as hard work.... it's not hard for me at all. I have all of my units on 4 wheel blue plastic furniture dollies at the shop. They easily roll around anywhere I need them. I get mine at Harbor Freight but this is the only one I could find a picture of.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Movers-Dolly-1000-lb-Capacity-by-Stalwart/16890808

I have 2 different style 2-wheeled dollies for the customers house. If they go up more than 3 steps the customer uses my dolly to take them up the steps. I do not help. I'm retired.... this is just to keep me busy, not actually WORK! :) I tilt them in to the mini van and away I go. I get about 27mpg so fuel doesn't cost me much.

I've used my small dolly like this for over 6 years moving washers & dryers. Well worth the $19.99 I paid for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JOAP9O/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

The next dolly I bought because it has very nice straps that auto rewind. Almost every customer I go to comments on one set of my dollies. They love them.

Roughneck Industrial Appliance Truck — 1,200-Lb. Capacity | Northern Tool + Equipment

Yes, I have a lot of money tied up in to my dollies as far as dollies go especially my 4 wheeled dollies but it is worth it to me. I don't see how you guys do the hard work of moving them without dollies like these. I never break a sweat.... unless a big breasted woman answers the door :)

He made some accusations about you, that calls your character into question.

Would be worth at least throwing up a counter to his points so we've got two sides to a story here. I think you're the one that comes out worse by not responding.

And for what it's worth, there is an "ignore member" feature. Just click on the user name and then click "ignore" on the window that pops up.

I could care less what he did. You can question what ever you want about me. See, this is not to be mean to you but I'm not here for him (or you), I don't care what he said. Question what you want.... I don't care. I'm the type of guy that doesn't get tripped up on what someone like him would say or do, I don't care. I'm not the type of person to care what I come out looking like on a message board.... this is a message board to me. I'm here to converse and maybe help someone every now and then. When I get bored.... this passes time. Can he get people excited about selling a 2003 washer & dryer set? Hell yeah because when we are inexperienced we don't know any better. Take everything he taught you and start an appliance repair business. See how far it gets you. I know how far.... not past 2006. Now I have what should be an easy question.... does anyone know why I said not past 2006? I'll give plenty of time for someone to google an answer since no one probably knows by only taking the information from his site.

Thanks, I'll check out that ignore button. :)

Tjack102

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Sep 21, 2016
Wow I just came across your video on the fastlane forum a few days ago. I should've been doing this a couple years ago instead of f*ckin around trying to find other jobs when I got laid off. Your video really resonated with me. Started hustlin myself recently. Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.