The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

App for branding

Texan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 8, 2012
Texas
Hello folks! I have a question for you wise fastlane forum members....

I have a website that makes decent money and is established in its niche. We are growing and expanding (doubling sales each year for the last 3 years) and I got an idea over the summer that I begin to pursue as it relates to this business/website/brand. My idea (which is not all that genius) was to have an app built to assist customers (or anyone) with problems they may encounter "in the field." Sorry to be vague...

So my question is this: Has anyone had any experience, positive or negative, as it relates to creating an app that solves a need but would really be about building a brand and expanding an audience? So I am not really looking to monetize it (though I wouldn't rule that out) but I am doing it to build brand recognition and maybe even reach more potential customers. Thanks in advance for any comments. Peace!:D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
The idea that apps have to be created to specifically make money off them is quite prevalent in the internet marketing circles and it might make you think that this is the only reason to build an app, but it's not always true. As an app developer, i have worked with many offline business that build apps as an extension of their brand and give them away for free to their audience (to foster brand loyalty, enhance customer's experience with their services, etc..). Personally, i think the "make money with your app" model will be replaced with an "use your app as a marketing channel" mentality, pioneered by the bigger brands who build and give away their apps for free.

Depending on your business you have to get really creative on how to use your app to attract more customers, as the current app discovery model is not very easily aligned with that philosophy: you build an app, and you market it to your current audience, or possible audience on your own expense; it's not build an app, users come easily, you convert some of them into customers (like how a website would be).

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I had NEVER thought of doing something like this before.

I am REALLY liking it.

SPEED + to Texan. Thank you! :icon_super:

So it sounds like you find out what sort of app your target market are already buying or would like to get, you have it developed for you for a few thousand dollars(unless you have the time and knowledge to do it yourself) and you give it to them for free maybe when they place an order with you?

Maybe there is a need here for app developers to meet.

1. The developer custom develops an app for a company OR they make one for an industry .
  2. The developer customizes it for a particular company such as The XYZ Company.
  3. The XYZ company pays a fee for each person who downloads it.

Thoughts?

moonjun

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 6, 2012
I know a person whose business to help other businesseses gain
more profits through app developments. He seems to be
making good money, so your idea works. Do you know
how to code yourself?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
The idea that apps have to be created to specifically make money off them is quite prevalent in the internet marketing circles and it might make you think that this is the only reason to build an app, but it's not always true. As an app developer, i have worked with many offline business that build apps as an extension of their brand and give them away for free to their audience (to foster brand loyalty, enhance customer's experience with their services, etc..). Personally, i think the "make money with your app" model will be replaced with an "use your app as a marketing channel" mentality, pioneered by the bigger brands who build and give away their apps for free.

Depending on your business you have to get really creative on how to use your app to attract more customers, as the current app discovery model is not very easily aligned with that philosophy: you build an app, and you market it to your current audience, or possible audience on your own expense; it's not build an app, users come easily, you convert some of them into customers (like how a website would be).
Good post. I hit on this in a book I just wrote. Use an app as an extension to your business or build your customer base and demand for your app and THEN build it and sell it to them. Producing an app and hoping it sells is pretty risky, especially if you're outsourcing, like I did a few months ago :smx4:

Texan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 8, 2012
Texas

Thanks for the comment! That is what I was thinking of...a quality app, for free, that I will promote to my current customers and put it in every app store I can. I am totally new to apps, so I appreciate the info.

Texan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 8, 2012
Texas
I had NEVER thought of doing something like this before.

I am REALLY liking it.

SPEED + to Texan. Thank you!

So it sounds like you find out what sort of app your target market are already buying or would like to get, you have it developed for you for a few thousand dollars(unless you have the time and knowledge to do it yourself) and you give it to them for free maybe when they place an order with you?

Thank you sir! Giving it away to customers who order is a great idea. I am hoping to get some PR points with it once its done. I am not a coder, so I have someone lined up to put it together for me. I really want to use it to get the company name out there. We have a database of customers over the years who will get to hear about it first, etc. Thanks for the comment!

Texan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 8, 2012
Texas
I know a person whose business to help other businesseses gain
more profits through app developments. He seems to be
making good money, so your idea works. Do you know
how to code yourself?

Glad to hear this! I do not know how to code but I think I have someone lined up to do it. I (or one of my people) has to get them some pretty detailed information to get started. But very cool someone has made a business out of this.

My main idea was to expand my brand, and it seems like this would be an effective way of doing. I really do appreciate all the comments and feedback.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.