• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

Anyone here use Robinhood?

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by MJ DeMarco, Sep 30, 2018.

1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,655
    Admin Post
    Kinda hard to beat ZERO cost trades in either options or stocks.

Robinhood

I made a small deposit there but haven't traded anything because the interface isn't really that great. But then again, maybe a wonky interface is better than spending a fortune on commissions, which I'm doing at a variety of other places.

With this platform, there is really no excuse to start building your passive income money system.

upload_2018-9-30_18-54-5.png

andyhaus44, 100k, Dramolion and 2 others like this.
  2. Solais

Solais Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $612
    Been using it since 2016. Not good for day traders IIRC but useful if you're "trade once every month" type

Dramolion and ZF Lee like this.
  3. lludwig

lludwig Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,265
    FYI they make their money primarily from order flow.

ZF Lee likes this.
  4. topherea

topherea Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,068
    There's a Facebook group called "Robinhood Stock Traders 2018". You'd need to filter through the stock picks and things like that to get to the various pros and cons of the service. From a quick glance just now it appears they're not offering buy orders on certain stocks like Aurora. I've also heard horror stories in the past of replies taking days with their email based customer service. This concerns me because if say a sharp correction occurs and if for some reason the system goes down, I get the feeling that alot of people would take unnecessary losses. I think they also have an upgrade service for a fee, but I don't know anything with that. On the positive side, they seem to have many satisfied customers. I haven't funded my account there yet, but if you use them, I'd be interested in hearing your experience with them. Have you looked into Tastyworks? Very low commissions and fees and the platform is designed by the same guy who did ToS and is specifically developed for options trading. They offer stocks, futures and options on both. From my personal experience, I like them alot. My communications with them has also been email based, but they're on it like blue bonnet.

Options Commissions | Check Out tastyworks' Commission Structure

Tastyworks.platform.png Tastyworks.platform.2.png

5. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,262
    I was just going to ask the question you answered, thanks lludwig.:)

6. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,005
    Not as yet.

Unfortunately it's not available as yet to Australian users but i have signed up to be notified when it will be.

Yeh i hate getting killed on trading fees.

7. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,043
    Order flow? What's that?

8. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,005
    compensation from third party

ZF Lee likes this.
  9. lludwig

lludwig Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,265
    Letting others (hedge funds, actively managed mutual funds, etc.) know the buy and sell info of customers on Robinhood. They can legally use it to "front run" the orders ahead of you and pick up a few cents on the trade.

Believe it or not, I'm actually ok with this for the small trades the individuals who use their system.

Net-net Robinhood customers come out ahead compared if they were to pay say $4.95 per trade.

If you were making large trades (ie in the millions) the selling of the order info could wind up costing you more.

Overall high frequency trading and the outright selling of the order info helps the little guy since the bid/ask spread is lower. Overall helps with liquidity of a stock/ETF.

The bigger problem IMHO is their crappy customer service and issues with placing orders.

But hey it's free! In the end TSNSTAAFL. Someway/Somehow you are paying for it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  10. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $592
    I found the options to not pay as well on Robinhood, not sure why. When doing my spreads on think or swim, they seem to pay a couple cents better than Robin Hood. I found think or swim payed better than a few other ones as well. Depending on how much your trading, it may or may not be worth your while. Best to just run both and compare trade for trade. There always seems to be a catch with free, although many people may not notice or care depending on what they trade.

11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,655
    Admin Post
    Been a customer since it launched. Interface is OK. I'm pretty fluent on TOS and it is my preferred go-to.

12. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $5,265
    Makes perfect sense.

If you are an active trader, even though Robinhood is trying to set themselves up for the active trader you won't get the best pricing by any means.

On a side note, I find it ironic that they named themselves "Robinhood". Perhaps stealing from the poor to give to the rich?

YoungPadawan, ZF Lee and Jaden Jones like this.
  13. andyhaus44

andyhaus44 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $950
    MJ, thank you so much for sharing this! My boy is 20 months old and have been wanting to buy him stock in PBS and Disney but wasn’t sure which brokerage account to go with. Last night I opened a Robinhood account and did just that. Rep+

nitrousflame and MJ DeMarco like this.
  14. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $875
    I know a lot of people who use Robinhood and I hear good things from them. Personally I don't use it (not because of any red flags I've perceived but because I've been with a separate brokerage for some years before I ever even heard about RH) but they seem to really like it.

andyhaus44 likes this.
  15. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $5,265
    MJ DeMarco likes this.
  16. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $357,655
    YoungPadawan, Vigilante, Kak and 2 others like this.
  17. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,302
    I saw that this morning in WSJ. Very interesting. I think it will pioneer a different fee structure for the rest of the industry to chase.

Personally, I don’t like the name. Robin Hood is a communist criminal.

18. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,453
    Be aware this is insured by SIPC not FDIC

Every Robinhood account is SIPC insured up to $250,000 in cash

--

(SIPC) is a nonprofit membership corporation that was created by federal statute in 1970.

SIPC does not provide blanket coverage. Instead, SIPC protects customers of SIPC-member broker-dealers if the firm fails financially. Coverage is up to $500,000 per customer for all accounts at the same institution, including a maximum of $250,000 for cash.

SIPC does not protect investors if the value of their investments falls. When you think about it, this makes sense. After all, market losses are a normal part of the risk of investing.

I read your account can be affected by market fluctuations. Anyone with experience can expand?

--

Users of Robinhood Checking and Savings earn 3% interest annually on each of their Checking and Savings balances. Robinhood does not charge account maintenance, account minimum, overdraft, ATM, transaction, foreign transaction, transfer, or card replacement fees for Robinhood Checking and Savings. Robinhood Checking and Savings is offered through Robinhood Financial LLC. Robinhood Checking and Savings is an added feature to existing Robinhood accounts and is not a separate account or a bank account. The Robinhood Debit Card is issued by Sutton Bank pursuant to a license from Mastercard International, Inc. Neither Sutton Bank nor Mastercard International, Inc. are members of FINRA or SIPC.

lludwig likes this.
  19. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $5,265
    SIPC isn't exactly like FDIC and is to cover fraud ONLY!

With either program, it's a backstop and I would recommend always as the last resort. It can take months in some cases years before you get your money back and more so with SIPC. During 2008 it never came to FDIC since the FED got involved and found buyers for the larger institutions. For the smaller ones they had the reserves to give instant money back.

So while you may not lose your money could, in theory, be tied up for years.

I think this article sums it well.

FDIC vs SIPC: Are they the same?

"What SIPC does cover is any sort of shenanigans that a broker might play on you. If they screw up and delete your account, or give your money to someone else, or close up shop and head to Grand Cayman, SIPC ensures that you will get your money back. But it does not cover investment losses."

20. lludwig

Rep Bank:
    $5,265
  21. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,234
  22. Primeperiwinkle

Primeperiwinkle Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $1,763
    Started the thread all “Yasss I’ve been using them for over a year”

Ended the thread “Dammit”

Thanks people who do all the research things... I’m gonna go get my five hundred bucks and put it somewhere else.

MTEE1985 likes this.
  23. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,302
    Saw the CEO in the WSJ this morning.

This picture tells me all I need to know.

What an irreverent and unprofessional way to represent your FINANCIAL INSTITUTION.

Screenshot_20181215-121456_CNBC.jpg

lludwig and MTEE1985 like this.
  24. GPM

GPM Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $20,902
    Yea but he is "edgy" and "disruptive", so that means it is cool to look that way, right? That is the latest bandwagon. In 20 years we are going to look back at these clowns and wonder why it was ever hip to look like a slob.

lludwig, MTEE1985 and Kak like this.
  25. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $357,655
    Admin Post
    Unless that "look" resonates with market you are targeting.

I will argue they are -- young people with not a lot of disposable cash. I doubt a guy with a 3 piece suit will appeal to the millennial with $420 to their name, no double entendre intended. ;)

MTEE1985 and Kak like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.