The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone have a cleaning business or similar?

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015
Hello everyone. I started a house cleaning business this year and I am at the point where I need to hire my first employee. I have never hired anyone before and I'm wondering if anyone on here can give any advise. When hiring someone, how do you prevent the employee from trying to undercut you and steal your client? Is it okay to find someone off craigslist and hire them as a sub contractor and just cut them a check, or do W-2's and tax paperwork have to get factored in?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Hello everyone. I started a house cleaning business this year and I am at the point where I need to hire my first employee. I have never hired anyone before and I'm wondering if anyone on here can give any advise. When hiring someone, how do you prevent the employee from trying to undercut you and steal your client? Is it okay to find someone off craigslist and hire them as a sub contractor and just cut them a check, or do W-2's and tax paperwork have to get factored in?

Most employees won't try to undercut because if they really wanted to be their own boss, they would set up shop as an "individual cleaning business" I have subcontractors for my business and the law in NY is pretty strict about what can be considered a subcontractor or not. I think most cleaning businesses have employees. Are you doing background checks? Make sure you update your insurance policy so it covers any new employees.

killa_graham

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 25, 2014
Texas
You should check out Groove Learning on Facebook. It's a huge group of people who run local cleaning services. Think you'll like it!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

I am not a lawyer, but I think you're almost certainly going to have to count them as an employee.

I wouldn't hire off Craigslist as a first resort. I would go to networking events in my area and see if anybody had a spouse or working age kid that wanted to make some extra cash. That would help eliminate some of the riff raff while possibly generating an extra client, or referrals, in the process.

If they're going into peoples' homes, I would personally conduct background checks. This is as a service to customers, and to cover my own rear end.

As others have said, I wouldn't worry about them trying to undercut you and steal the business. If they wanted to do that, they already would. Besides, there are no shortage of homes to clean. I would be more concerned about liability issues with sending someone into another person's home.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dan44

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 9, 2015
Does anyone have experience with employee leasing firms? What are your experiences?

Last edited:

TaxMan79

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Jan 25, 2016

I'm interested in how your business is going. I have thought about starting a cleaning business myself. Have you encountered any issues with you being a male in a predominantly female business? What kind of rates do you charge? What specific services do you offer? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.