The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any LOW carbers around here? What kind of homemade snacks are you making?

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
I've been eating a really low carb diet the last couple of weeks trying to lose some body fat and was wondering what kind of homemade zero/low carb portable snacks are you making/eating?

Specifically looking for ideas on food to eat during workouts(think 3 hour bikes rides, hikes, hunting trips, canoe trips etc.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Almonds
Walnuts
Pecans
Pistachios
Beef Jerky
Sesame Seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Cashews
Celery
Carrots

Also apples and grapefruit, although not really low-carb.

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Low carb works great for fat loss

I eat a LOT of nuts,seeds and cheese
Summer sausage and beef jerky
Canned fish-tuna,sardines, kippers
Nut butters-peanut and almond
Moderate amount of raw veggies and fruit

Be aware that low carb is going to make any extended endurance exercise very difficult. I lost weight easily on low carb with my exercise consisting of weight lifting and occasional sprinting, no aerobic cardio at all.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I love hard boiled eggs. So simple. Easy to cart around too. Nuts/nut butters are great, sausage and beef jerky, but check the ingredients - lots have added sugar.

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
Thanks for the replies. I've been experimenting with a low carb high fat recipe for a portable snack and while the product is pretty tasty it's really not portable. The biggest problem so far is it's not very durable like a powerbar/cliff bar/gel block type product.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
You want low carb specifically, but I'm going to mention a nice little paleo snack that is decent for you on off days. Take a bar or two of extremely dark chocolate and melt it down. Mix in macadamias at your discretion, usually about 1/4 of the recipe should be nuts, then let it cool down in the refrigerator. Make sure you put wax paper down in your dish. Add a little salt on top before refrigerating if you like that.

A zero carb breakfast I like to do is high fat coffee (called bulletproof coffee in some parts of the internet). I find wash processed coffee beans (most local roasters have a couple of single origin coffees like this. Check out the grower profiles. If you can't find any, check out Stumptown Coffee in Seattle.. they might ship nationally) and burr grind them, then use a one cup pour over to steep. I have a magic bullet and put 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 of coconut oil then add the coffee and emulsify. Sounds kind of gross, but its really tasty, and filling. Give it a try!

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
You want low carb specifically, but I'm going to mention a nice little paleo snack that is decent for you on off days. Take a bar or two of extremely dark chocolate and melt it down. Mix in macadamias at your discretion, usually about 1/4 of the recipe should be nuts, then let it cool down in the refrigerator. Make sure you put wax paper down in your dish. Add a little salt on top before refrigerating if you like that.

A zero carb breakfast I like to do is high fat coffee (called bulletproof coffee in some parts of the internet). I find wash processed coffee beans (most local roasters have a couple of single origin coffees like this. Check out the grower profiles. If you can't find any, check out Stumptown Coffee in Seattle.. they might ship nationally) and burr grind them, then use a one cup pour over to steep. I have a magic bullet and put 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 of coconut oil then add the coffee and emulsify. Sounds kind of gross, but its really tasty, and filling. Give it a try!

I have also been making "bulletproff" coffee with unsalted irish butter and MCT oils. I think when people here butter they tend to think salted and or margarine. UNSALTED IRISH butter is the key and you have to blend it.

Dave Asprey seems to have turned "Bulletproof" into a nice business. I read and listened to a lot of his stuff for awhile but when I see him I don't really see someone that is "bulletproof" like I do with Mark Sisson or Robb Wolf.

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
@dabelge, you can never go wrong with vegetables. In my day-to-day eating habits, I load up on vegetables whenever I'm hungry but running close to hitting my caloric intake for the day.

Please do not confuse low carb diets as being the ONLY way to lose weight. You may want to take a look at your fat intake as well. Don't forget, each gram of fat contains 9 calories whereas each gram of carbs has only 4. Fat DOUBLES the amount of calories than carbs so make sure you're not overdoing it. It's calories in, calories out. Deficit or surplus.

You can add cardio to your routine if you haven't already. Swimming, biking, running, walking, hiking. Lean muscle mass also burns calories throughout the day just to maintain the fibers. The more lean muscle mass you have (not saying you need to be a bodybuilder), the more calories you burn. You build muscle through any type of resistance training and by eating protein.

You're posting on an entrepreneurial forum. If you're like the rest of the go-getters here, which it seems you are, you'll want to protect that sweet, sweet glucose that's only found in carbohydrates. This gives us energy and fuels us for the day. Low/zero carb diets make building a business all the more difficult. I, for one, get tired, groggy, mentally slow, irritable and a slew of other frustratingly negative side effects when I lower my carbs below 200 grams/day. I know others who "cut" on 400g/day. It's all relative. You'll need to try different amounts and see how you respond.

Feel free to PM me with any healthy/fitness/nutrition questions. I've been a certified personal trainer through the National Academy of Sports Medicine and have studied and experimented with nutrition for over 10 years. I have nothing to sell. Just enjoy helping :)

Good luck

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
Yes I know we need some carbs. One of the biggest things I've noticed since cutting out all the wheat/flour/sugar products is my "mental" energy and clarity seems to have improved drastically. I'm really starting to get fat adapted and don't get those low blood sugar drops anymore. Also don't notice myself yawning throughout the day anymore.

I have a product idea that's not on the market right now that could be used as a portable low carb fuel. The only problem is I haven't figured out how to make it durable without sugar. Maybe that's why none of the sports nutrition companies are selling it.

It's a combination of MCT oil, sea salt, gelatin and amino acids.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I have also been making "bulletproff" coffee with unsalted irish butter and MCT oils. I think when people here butter they tend to think salted and or margarine. UNSALTED IRISH butter is the key and you have to blend it.

Dave Asprey seems to have turned "Bulletproof" into a nice business. I read and listened to a lot of his stuff for awhile but when I see him I don't really see someone that is "bulletproof" like I do with Mark Sisson or Robb Wolf.

BF coffee is great - even with salted butter. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I actually like it.

Haven't added in the MCT oils yet, I should really try that out.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013

Yeah his image along with the dubious veracity of some of his opinions have led me away from him. I like his coffee idea, but that's just about it. He's trying to hard to make his business successful, and it's painfully obvious, in my opinion. Mark and Robb have a way better image and also are good at hiding if they are trying too hard or not. Mark definitely has a business mind about him, as he's making loads of money off of selling supplements as well as books. I mean... he lives in Malibu. That's definitely something.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
What a community. We get information on Wealth and Health of the mind and body. :tiphat:

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
I've been eating a really low carb diet the last couple of weeks trying to lose some body fat and was wondering what kind of homemade zero/low carb portable snacks are you making/eating?

Specifically looking for ideas on food to eat during workouts(think 3 hour bikes rides, hikes, hunting trips, canoe trips etc.)

Looks like you've gotten a bunch of suggestions already on specific snack items, so I won't add to those. Instead, I'd like to point you in two additional directions if you want to do more research. I follow a modified paleo routine myself, so don't think I'm hatin' on LC. I'm definitely not. But check out some of the stuff that Richard Nikoley is posting over on FreeTheAnimal.com. You might want to consider that low carb might not be the most effective route for you. Look into the resistant starch stuff. He's doing well, even with potatoes, rice & beans.

Secondly, look into some of the intermittent fasting literature. Yeah, there's Asprey, but also check out Martin Berkhan at leangains, or some of the stuff at nerd fitness or a guy named Anthony Mychal. Speaking only from personal experience, just because it's a 3-hour bike ride doesn't automatically mean you need a snack. Again, not preaching - find your own path - but at least it's worth looking into.

Good luck.

Phenom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
If you ever crave pasta or some type of noodle, check out Shirataki noodles which is made from an asian root plant. They don't taste the same as the "real" pasta but has no calories and zero net carbs! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles). They are not cheap and has a short shelf life.

I also recommend to incorporate tabata (aka: HIIT) training. I love this because my whole "cardio" workout last 4 minutes! Basically, the formula is a 2:1 ratio of work to recovery periods: example: I do 20 seconds of hard sprinting alternated with 10 seconds of rest on a stationary bike for 8 times: total 4 mins! This will challenge any level because of the 20 seconds hard sprinting where you usually go all out (100% of your capacity). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training)

Last edited:

Riddic4766

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Feb 6, 2014
One of the biggest things I've noticed since cutting out all the wheat/flour/sugar products is my "mental" energy and clarity seems to have improved drastically.

I noticed the same thing. Especially gluten makes me "dumb".

I have a product idea that's not on the market right now that could be used as a portable low carb fuel.

Since i started to excercise and eat healthy one of my biggest problems is what to grab fast when I'm out of the office whole day. I'm tired of nuts and vegetables need to be washed/prepared. I don't know how many people have the same problem but i would definitely buy healthy snack to get me going on busy days.

Andur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 4, 2014
San Francisco
Anyone tried Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb diet? I did it for 10 weeks and lost 20 pounds. The cheat day once a week was a saving grace.

I generally just snack on nuts if I need to. Mostly, though, provided I ate a full breakfast, lunch and dinner, the snacking wasn't really necessary.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I've been experimenting with a low carb high fat recipe for a portable snack and while the product is pretty tasty it's really not portable. The biggest problem so far is it's not very durable like a powerbar/cliff bar/gel block type product.

Why do you want lots of fat in your diet?

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
I noticed the same thing. Especially gluten makes me "dumb".

Since i started to excercise and eat healthy one of my biggest problems is what to grab fast when I'm out of the office whole day. I'm tired of nuts and vegetables need to be washed/prepared. I don't know how many people have the same problem but i would definitely buy healthy snack to get me going on busy days.

Go for the fruits man. Vegetables have nothing to them. Cut up a melon or blend up some bananas, 100 calories per banana, and just drink that down really quick.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
Sorry for the triple post. I want everyone here to look up the word glycogen. It's what your cells run off of. I'm not sure why people are so afraid of carbs.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Fat DOUBLES the amount of calories than carbs so make sure you're not overdoing it. It's calories in, calories out. Deficit or surplus.
Sorry bud, but this has been debunked on SO many levels.... 100 calories of sugar DO NOT have the same impact on the body as 100 calories of fat or protein.

My diet is around 50% fat on any given day (and if I'm looking low in that ratio, I purposefully increase the fat I take in at a meal).

It all comes down to how you feel on any given meal plan -do you feel alert, awake & energized after meals? Great, your body appreciates your contribution to it's overall function. Or do you feel sluggish, bloaty & sleepy? Perhaps foggy-headed? Find yourself clearing your throat often after a particular food? (ice cream would do that to me) -then you're eating foods that don't go along with your body & it's trying to tell you.

People will run their mouths all day long on this subject but in the end, only YOU can tell if what you're doing is working for you. Your body will give you clues along the way, it's not a mystery. We just have to learn to pay attention to the cues.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
S\\

It all comes down to how you feel on any given meal plan -do you feel alert, awake & energized after meals? Great, your body appreciates your contribution to it's overall function. Or do you feel sluggish, bloaty & sleepy? Perhaps foggy-headed? Find yourself clearing your throat often after a particular food? (ice cream would do that to me) -then you're eating foods that don't go along with your body & it's trying to tell you.

People will run their mouths all day long on this subject but in the end, only YOU can tell if what you're doing is working for you. Your body will give you clues along the way, it's not a mystery. We just have to learn to pay attention to the cues.

I agree with this part. Do what works best for you. Do your own research and experiment.

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
Sorry bud, but this has been debunked on SO many levels.... 100 calories of sugar DO NOT have the same impact on the body as 100 calories of fat or protein.

My diet is around 50% fat on any given day (and if I'm looking low in that ratio, I purposefully increase the fat I take in at a meal).

I agree with what you've said 100%. 100 calories from sugar does NOT have the same impact as 100 calories from fats/protein. A person could also lose body fat with a high-fat diet. Listen to your body and learn what foods work for you. All great advice.

My statement was a vague explanation of what you touched upon in greater detail. When I said "pay attention to fat intake" I intended to mean how increasing or decreasing your fat intake can have a significant effect on fat loss just like manipulating carb intake can. Lesson learned :)

Just last month I doubled my fat intake from 20% of total cals to 40% and I've been losing body fat steadily. I offset those added calories by lowering my carbs, though. As I mentioned before, you're either in a caloric deficit if you're losing weight or in a caloric surplus if you're gaining weight.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Tuna over Lettuce, cucumber, bell peppers, broccoli and some seasoning. Switch up the ingredients maybe boiled chicken,etc , the seasoning, do sweet, sour, spicy.

Does well for me, cleans out your system, feel like a million bucks after 2 weeks.

Right after an exhausting 45 min run, damn it can hit the spot too ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.