The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any fastlaners on the Shark Tank?

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
I love that show except for that cheesy a$$ Tmobile product placement with terrible acting. Any way, Mark cuban did an AMA on reddit not too long ago and I thought it was interesting and I watch Shark Tank cause it's just downright entertaining and I also end up thinking "man why didn't IIII think of that..." which is somewhat inspiration. I mean god, gluten free play-doh patented. Play doh cant touch it and it's bringing in millions. All the patented ideas and products are so genius. Any fast laners on the show?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I think Likwid24 went through parts of the application process but decided not to do it, but I'm not sure. Maybe he will comment himself.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I love that show except for that cheesy a$$ Tmobile product placement with terrible acting.

Cringe-worthy product placement for T-Mobile on Shark Tank - YouTube

Cringe worthy INDEED.. How much do you think T Mobile pays to a show full of multi millionaires/billionaire for so these product placements?

Overall, the show is absolutely amazing and one of the few shows on TV that actually add VALUE to someone's life when it is compared to Jersey Shore. I love the ideas as well.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I applied a little too late for this season. They told me that they have me on record for next season. If we decided to go along with it, it would be more for the exposure than anything else. They average about 6 million viewers per episode. Where else can you get that kind of exposure without paying out your a$$ for it?

The only way that I think we would consider a deal is if it were an offer we couldn't refuse. Lori Greiner would be our best bet in my opinion.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I applied a little too late for this season. They told me that they have me on record for next season. If we decided to go along with it, it would be more for the exposure than anything else. They average about 6 million viewers per episode. Where else can you get that kind of exposure without paying out your a$$ for it?

The only way that I think we would consider a deal is if it were an offer we couldn't refuse. Lori Greiner would be our best bet in my opinion.

Don't you have to give up 2% to the show just for being on it? I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that somewhere.

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
Don't you have to give up 2% to the show just for being on it? I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that somewhere.

Yup. you are correct. ABC takes 5% equity or 2% royalty for every company that apears regardless if a deal is made or not.

Its all business... the network wants its share of the pie too... Cant blame them. Not to mention the fact that it's incredibly hard to get a small business loan from a bank right now. The network found a problem and offered a solution...GENIUS!!! ... Eveyone wins!

The exposure alone is worth much more than the 2~5% loss the individual companies are taking.
But when a deal is made, that funding, experience, and expertise behind each deal is just icing on the cake.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Wow they take a chunk of your pie for just being on it huh. Those bastards! haha but for the amount of exposure you get it can't be a bad deal. A lot of them that didn't make deals actually end up doing quite well just because they showed up. Man I was watching the guy that invented the most genius thing ever.. it's a universal cover that is vaccuum sealed that you can put directly on top of any plate so you don't have to put food in tupperware, you just put the cover on and boom, sealed. This guy.. he was so greedy and couldn't figure out the numbers and was asking for more and more money that they were getting very irritated but if I remember correctly, his idea was SO good with contracts already lined up and appearanced on QVC that they put up with his bull and i BELIEVE they still made him a deal.
Now... time for that magic idea.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
If you make a deal with one of the sharks, does ABC still take the 5%?

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
A good friend of mine invented a cool sandal made from coconut fiber. I became an investor and director of the company.

The clip below is him appearing on the Canadian version of the show (two of the Sharks are from the Canadian show).

[video=youtube;EqopFnLDbgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqopFnLDbgo[/video]

Here's our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CocozeShoes

And Website: Cocoze - Coconut Fiber Flip Flops

The clip was filmed last April, and shown in November '12.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
A good friend of mine invented a cool sandal made from coconut fiber. I became an investor and director of the company.

The clip below is him appearing on the Canadian version of the show (two of the Sharks are from the Canadian show).

haha what a funny guy
that's pretty awesome i watch the dragon's den also. kevin is less of a dick on that show though

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada

Hah, I remember watching that episode. Thought he was very entertaining. Just a shame about the valuation...lol

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada

"I hate Edmonton" "Sorry Edmonton!"

Haha, I remember that episode too. How is the company going?

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Haha, I remember that episode too. How is the company going?

Pierre has been to Thailand 4 times since the show, using money from myself and one other investor, and we have moved quite a way along in the process of having a factory ready. It is WAY more cost, struggle and effort than we expected.

The shoes are difficult to mass produce, due to inconsistencies with the coconut, but we are steadily moving forward.

There is big demand, as we have a very good distributor in Toronto, very well connected, begging us for shoes, but the supply side is still the limitation, which is painful. For example we had a call from the Daytime Emmy Awards show, they wanted 250 pairs of shoes to put in the Schwag bags for people attending the show, it would be a major exposure opportunity for us, but we had to pass, they only gave us 2 weeks notice and we couldn't get the shoes made (transport takes longer than that).

The styles have evolved a lot and improved dramatically since the standard issue rubber flip flops that he had on the show.

The valuation was intentionally insane, we had pretty much decided that we were going on there just for the publicity unless they blew us away with an offer. We haven't had any trouble raising private money for this business, almost everyone we show the product to, and tell the story is willing to jump on board and we felt like none of the Dragon's really offered anything more.

We were hoping Arlene would be interested, we probably would have done a deal with her, but she loved the product, but didn't really get it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I can get you distributed through 56 ABC stores in Hawaii. Get in touch with me if you guys are interested once your mass production is worked out.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

Was it worth it?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Pierre has been to Thailand 4 times since the show, using money from myself and one other investor, and we have moved quite a way along in the process of having a factory ready. It is WAY more cost, struggle and effort than we expected.

The shoes are difficult to mass produce, due to inconsistencies with the coconut, but we are steadily moving forward.

There is big demand, as we have a very good distributor in Toronto, very well connected, begging us for shoes, but the supply side is still the limitation, which is painful. For example we had a call from the Daytime Emmy Awards show, they wanted 250 pairs of shoes to put in the Schwag bags for people attending the show, it would be a major exposure opportunity for us, but we had to pass, they only gave us 2 weeks notice and we couldn't get the shoes made (transport takes longer than that).

The styles have evolved a lot and improved dramatically since the standard issue rubber flip flops that he had on the show.

The valuation was intentionally insane, we had pretty much decided that we were going on there just for the publicity unless they blew us away with an offer. We haven't had any trouble raising private money for this business, almost everyone we show the product to, and tell the story is willing to jump on board and we felt like none of the Dragon's really offered anything more.

We were hoping Arlene would be interested, we probably would have done a deal with her, but she loved the product, but didn't really get it.
Where in Thailand is the factory located if you don't mind me asking?

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Was it worth it?

Definitely. Nick is correct, the Canadian show does not take a percentage. We had a lot of sales from our site, nothing too serious, but the best part has been the connections we have made since the show.

A great distributor, a new investor and lots of people who just offered to do stuff to help us out. The show opened a lot of doors.

One small example, our first shipment of shoes from Thailand we forgot to label them "Made in Thailand" ... big problem. When they arrived in Canada we had a big mess on our hands, but the customs agent had seen us on Dragon's Den and let us off with a $150 fine and a "promise" to put the labels on before we sold them. The worst case scenario in that situation - refuse the shoes entry into Canada, would have been a disaster.

Where in Thailand is the factory located if you don't mind me asking?

Bankok

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.