The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another scourge of the slowlane: open offices

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Open Office is a pretty good replacement for Microsoft Office. It's open source and it's free. Though the files aren't always cross-platform compatible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Open Office is a pretty good replacement for Microsoft Office.
lol, brilliant

On the subject of open offices: I used to work for a tech startup and they got a new giant office. It really was a nice office, but of course everything was open (except for the higher-ups who all strategically placed their backs to walls).

It made for a fun atmosphere... but when I'm working I have to avoid as much fun as possible. If something's going on, I can't focus.
Just like if there's sound or light at night when I'm in bed, I can't go to sleep. If people are riding scooters across the office or throwing koosh balls (or even just talking loudly!) then suddenly my attention isn't on my work.

Me and one other guy usually showed up to the office earlier than everyone else, just so I could get some focused work time in.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Between the people coming to my desk or calling every 5 minutes, I can barely complete a simple task. Add to that the approximately 60 whatsapp groups I'm in, and there is literally never a time when someone isn't distracting me. Most of the time they're asking questions that they could answer themselves if they were willing to take 5 minutes to look.

Managers have offices, but we can't close our doors, and were told to re-arrange our desks to have our backs to the door, so our furniture setup isn't "confrontational". All of this of course, from some chick consultant who I'm pretty certain has never had to manage any employees.

The real outcome of this is that I'm in the process of onboarding with a consulting firm to work from home. Will be about 80% of the money, but about 40% of the hours, and hopefully I won't get 80 emails a day with URGENT or ASAP in all caps in the subject line. Realized I was never going to get my product development finished with how much my job takes out of me anyway. We'll have to figure out how to live on less money for a while.

wordwarrior

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 16, 2019
Montreal, Canada
The real outcome of this is that I'm in the process of onboarding with a consulting firm to work from home. Will be about 80% of the money, but about 40% of the hours, and hopefully I won't get 80 emails a day with URGENT or ASAP in all caps in the subject line. Realized I was never going to get my product development finished with how much my job takes out of me anyway. We'll have to figure out how to live on less money for a while.

Considering how much commuting sucks from my life, even commuting passively on the bus and subway, 80% of my current salary sounds like a sweet deal for a WFH setup.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Our design standards for City of VB require an open office space as much as possible when we renovate or build. Most people absolutely hate it, but for energy efficiency and cost it’s way better. Takes a lot less equipment and energy to heat/cool/illuminate a large area than it does tons of small rooms. Much easier to control the HVAC and air quality also - not as bad on hot/cold spots, much better air movement.

That doesn’t sway opinions on the concept though lol. From dealing with it every day, I can tell you the single biggest reason people hate it, but won’t admit to -

- accountability.

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
I've been in an open office environment for many years now. I'm generally not a fan because of all the interruptions and distractions around me, but I believe these problems to be more of a culture issue.

I'm the general manager of a marketing company and while I teach and encourage process and email/phone communication our CEO has a very "On Demand" mentality. He is constantly approaching employees (mostly me) with whatever is on his mind regardless of what they are working on. I handle this pretty well as I've learned this is who he is, but it spreads to the other employees and they are constantly interrupting each other with non-urgent things because this is how it's done at the top.

I've gotten pretty good at saying no, and shutting it down but in the process I've gotten a reputation of being cold, and uncaring of their concerns. I can live with this though.

I think in the right environment such as a sales bullpen the open office can be effective and even beneficial to the goals.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Hmmm, what would be the reasoning for a company adopting an open office?

My mind says that it would be just done to save money, both in initial investment and in running costs. But then I think there are very well off companies who are also employing open offices so maybe there is a benefit I am not seeing.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Prayers for all the people that fight on in those hell-pits.

In my last job; my level of technician were all put in a literal glass-walled fishbowl smack in the center of all the other departments, completely visible to anyone in reception (guests usually only drove in to yell at someone), the management staff (whom all had offices with frosted glass), and the lowest tier of technicians who could simply look over and see everything we were doing at any time of day. What's worse is that there was no way for half the building to get to the bathrooms beside going through us.
Magnitudes of FTMs were had.
Thank god I'm out.
Thank god I'm working towards the fastlane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.