The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another Launch in the Food Space

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
I don't know why all my ideas are revolving around the food industry

I'm launching another project, in addition to these one's. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...flakes-processing-business.60676/#post-468159

Its simple. Restaurants, Cafeterias, Cateras etc. are all looking to bring their cost of production down. Sourcing for food products With my connection with farmers I can reduce their cost of sourcing by at least 40% especially those that source through middlemen. I have brilliant connections all over the country and a lot of time to network, so that's a huge asset.

I create a portfolio for each client (restaurant) with a list of farms, at least five farms in their major food category e.g chicken for instance. Now they would have all the major details, quality, delivery capacity, lead time, except contact information. basically all the necessary information to make an informed decision. Its definitely a lot of work.

The farms go through a rigorous screening process, first an interview, then due diligence stage where we check the quality of produce and we rank them on certain factors.

At the end it comes down to three things for clients; delivery capability, price regularity and product availability, once we can keep those three things in check but parties will be happy.

There are will be a lot of challenges implementing this, one of them is preventing backdoor transactions between supplier and client, and so many more. We are working on all of this.

The fact that farmers information isn't all online yet, makes it quite easy for us to do this, besides these restaurants don't have the time to go online, its more of a barrier than convenience in Nigeria for b2b sales.

I must confess that by the time your taking to critique this idea, which I immensely appreciate in advance, I've already taken action, I have not less than 10 restaurants who are requesting for their portfolio, three already made orders on some products. Farmers messages have filled both my phone and inbox on facebook. I'm hoping to create a win-win solution that helps out everyone. We'll also be providing some great reports, inventory control and value added service for both parties.

facebook.PNG

I have to thank @Kak for his AMA thread, it was there I realized I had an obsession for taking every biz online, just because it isn't online doesn't mean it cannot have scale. I believe you have to take into effect a whole lot of things before deciding which strategy or mode of operation works out for your business.

If this project works out fine, i'm going to integrate it with my e-commerce site, I would have efficiently eliminated the minimum order quantities from these suppliers, and with proper planning and some investment in logistics and delivery, I might just be able to get people to order at farm prices.

I'm hoping for the best, I hope I don't overrun myself with all these projects, but i'm excited to see where all these will be in december, it would either be a great turning point or one hell of a crash. Lets see how it turns out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

div

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 5, 2015
Nigeria. Very cool. How do you calculate your margin? Is it expensive to do the due diligence for each new seller, and after how many orders do you plan to make back those costs? Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Nigeria. Very cool. How do you calculate your margin? Is it expensive to do the due diligence for each new seller, and after how many orders do you plan to make back those costs? Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Thanks. My revenues are calculated on commission for each sale made by seller. reoccurring expenses will include marketing, sourcing for suppliers, phone calls, reports, transportation to farms.
My commission on each sale is 10% without us in the delivery space and 15% when we do the procurement and delivery. I'm currently only working with sellers who have capacity to deliver.

My Projected average order value for the smallest of restaurants/bars is within N50-100k (about $250-500) Our fee is %10 of that. It would take me 2-3 orders to recoup any costs of getting the client and supplier, the rest is just Net expenses which is mainly salaries.

What I mean is more of Quality control than due diligence which isn't expensive at all. I'm trying to make this as exclusive as possible, so although i make a lot of calls and I screen out a lot of sellers that don't meet my expectations. The ones who pass the phone interview I schedule a meeting with them, To check out their products, for quality control and pictures as a substitute to samples. Then I send over the MOU, get their details and they become part of my team of suppliers.

Thanks a lot, I'll try to update as I can

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.