The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another Example of a Control Casualty

Anything related to matters of the mind

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
As a very successful former franchisor, I can confirm that there is absolutely no argument against the statement that a person who buys a franchise is surrendering CONTROL of their business.

This is why in my posts on the subject of franchising, I emphatically say SELL FRANCHISES don't BUY FRANCHISES.

From a franchisor's perspective, with many franchisees in four countries by the time I sold the business I can also say unequivocally that CONTROL over franchisees is essential.

For example, a cornerstone policy of my franchise system was a) The customer is always right, and b) As a result the franchisees must employ a more than generous guarantee policy.

Although this was written into the ultimate CONTROL document, the Operations Manual, convincing the franchisees to adopt that mindset was the most difficult part of their education. Consequently, it had to be enforced.

Most people rebel against being forced to comply with rules, but when they have signed a contract that specifically states that they are obliged to abide by those rules it is clear that non-observance is a breach of contract.

I am pleased to say that I had no rebellions, and that was probaly due to the fact that I practiced what I preached , being generous in my attitude towards franchisees. I also delivered the goods. For legal reasons it can be dangerous for a franchisor to make earnings promises, which I avoided, but the average profit of my franchisees was around 4X the national average salary.

For more information on franchising you can search for my posts on the subject or you might like to start with this thread:

Rapid Scaling a business by franchising

Walter

D

Deleted50669

Franchisees. People who buy into preexisting corporations as business owners are pretty much asking for it. They may own and operate a business, but that business still reports to the corporation within which sit its shareholders - who ultimately make the strategy level decisions. This is an interesting thread regarding how the pandemic has brought to light the perils of lack of control in franchising.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Nov 25, 2020
I've always been under the impression that if you're a franchisee, you often own many different storefronts. And probably have multiple other sources of income. Could just be my personal experience though, I haven't heard of anyone with just one franchise though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.