The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Andy's Inbound/Sales Braindump

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My fees are very very low. I’m more interested in creating a productised service, SaaS, and/or courses.
A month after I wrote that a business owner waved some money at me and I agreed to a higher ticket consulting gig for a month with a view to seeing if it’s a good fit going forward.

How did it come about?

Someone I’d done some Google Ads campaigns for years ago recommended me. That person has spent over $2m on Facebook Ads in the past 18 months, so I guess most of his buddies aren’t just starting out either.

I messaged his friend and offered to do a quick Zoom call to look over his shoulder at his Google Ads account but he declined and asked me to audit it instead.

I audited the account, sent a short 6 page Google Slide, and we messaged back and forth.

He then offered some money for the first month and paid as soon as I invoiced him.

There are many people who have a budget, do NOT want to get into the weeds in a one hour call, and who decide and pay very fast.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Itizn

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Talk to *everyone*
(Similar to let everyone know what you do.)

When you’re starting out, get into the habit of talking to folks.

Don’t discount people because you don’t think they’re your ideal client avatar.

You do NOT know your ideal client avatar yet. Any work you do on this before you engage the market is pure action faking imo, and it’s going to limit you going forward.

When your barber/hairdresser asks what you do, tell them. Watch where they get confused. Watch where they glaze over. Figure out how to stop talking tech speak so that your barber/hairdresser can understand you.
Adding on to this: it's equally fascinating to see how people who know of you, refer to you.

A friends aunt mentioned she heard that I "help companies do xyz". While that "xyz" is indeed part of my offerings, it isn't my principle service or how I'd necessarily advertise myself.

Hearing exactly how people see you can help you "zoom-out", especially when you fall into the trap of getting tunnel vision.

Nomads

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jul 3, 2014
As requested by @Andy Black here are some notes I wrote up on this topic.

Basically, picked out the parts I found most relevant to my business & didn't want to forget. Copy & pasting some aspects and wrote my own little notes. May be useful to someone new reading this thread as well! Also has information from the Spend Your Money On Diesel & Coffee thread.

Sorry if it's a bit all over the place. Was really supposed to just be notes for myself but hopefully someone can find value in it as well!

Let everyone know what you do
Talk about what you do naturally with everyone you see. Drop it into conversations and share. Become known as a resource for what you do and share advice for free wherever you can so people remember you.

Tell everyone - think of interesting aspects of what you do and use those as talking points as well. Don't drone on about the technical aspects, but talk about the aspects that people care about. I.E. #1 Google Ranking, Fast Loading Websites, etc.

Want to get known as the “XYZ Guy”?
- Talk about XYZ
- Help people with XYZ
- Be seen to help people with XYZ

Show Don’t Tell
On top of talking make sure you SHOW what you do. Tell stories that SHOW how you do it.

"Oh, I know a guy who does AdWords. He helped his electrician friend get going by running ads and finding out that 5,000 of the 10,000 searches one month were to do with washing machine, cooker, and oven repairs. They then built washing machine, cooker, and oven repair websites and shutdown the electrican website. His friend’s phone then leapt off the hook."

Ask about them first - ASK what they do - relate it back to what you do.

Example being about to show how keyword rankings from SEO have increased since the new website. Show them actual analytics.

Follow Up With People
Send hand-crafted messages to everyone you know. In a short, friendly, non-needy way offer your help.

Example:

Hi Bob,

Hope you and your family are well.

Just thought I'd let you know some space has cleared in my calendar. If you need any help with AdWords or know anyone who does then just reach out.

We must catch up soon. It's long overdue!

Speak soon,
Andy

The important part is saying some space has cleared in your calendar. This isn't needy, but has them thinking how they can help you fill it.

Contact People You Know
Contact people who already trust you and have done business with you. Meet with people and try to talk to them and see what they need. Let them tell you their problems and help them solve them.

Good relationships are beneficial as that person will spread your name around.

Offer to meet with people and help them with their business over lunch - no sale necessary. Give 100% of the best advice you can in an hour or so to them. No pitch, no sales. Chances are they will ask YOU to help them in the end instead of doing it themselves.

Contact old connections you have lost touch with, etc and do this for lunch frequently.

Consider the following plan:

1) Use your existing network first.

2) Add to your existing network by doing such a good job that clients refer you on, and by being seen to help folks.

3) Use cold traffic *after* you've worked out how to sell to people who already know, like, and trust you.

Talk to Everyone
Tell EVERYONE what you do and SHOW how you do it and how it could help them with their problems.

Even if someone doesn’t become a client, it is one more person who knows you and what you do. They can pass that along to someone who may become a client.

Brief Emails
Give a website owner something of value in a quick email without selling them anything.

“Hi,

Spotted a wee typo:

<screenshot>

Andy”

“Hi,

I get this when I click on the Facebook link on your website:

<screenshot>

Andy”

May open a conversation where you can then offer more help.

If not it ultimately loops back into getting your name out there and in front of people so that they may think of you next time they need help. Offer value & service wherever possible.

Diesel And Coffee
Put in the effort to build relations and don’t just try to sell people things. Reconnecting with past connections will pay off enormously in the future.

Reach out to contacts you have lost touch with and try to arrange a time to meet and catch up. Don’t go in with a sales mindset but rather approach them with an open conversation about how you could both possibly help each other in the future.

Specifically for connections that own/manage businesses.

Loops back into following up with people you know & following up with people.

The more you get your name in front of people casually and share what you do, the more likely you pop into mind when they actually need your help.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy for sharing.
It's always a pleasure to read you

All you needed to do was teach us Google ads
My pleasure. Google Ads is just a technical skill. I'm more interested in sales, marketing, building a business, and living a happier life.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As requested by @Andy Black here are some notes I wrote up on this topic.

Basically, picked out the parts I found most relevant to my business & didn't want to forget. Copy & pasting some aspects and wrote my own little notes. May be useful to someone new reading this thread as well! Also has information from the Spend Your Money On Diesel & Coffee thread.

Sorry if it's a bit all over the place. Was really supposed to just be notes for myself but hopefully someone can find value in it as well!

Let everyone know what you do
Talk about what you do naturally with everyone you see. Drop it into conversations and share. Become known as a resource for what you do and share advice for free wherever you can so people remember you.

Tell everyone - think of interesting aspects of what you do and use those as talking points as well. Don't drone on about the technical aspects, but talk about the aspects that people care about. I.E. #1 Google Ranking, Fast Loading Websites, etc.

Want to get known as the “XYZ Guy”?
- Talk about XYZ
- Help people with XYZ
- Be seen to help people with XYZ

Show Don’t Tell
On top of talking make sure you SHOW what you do. Tell stories that SHOW how you do it.

"Oh, I know a guy who does AdWords. He helped his electrician friend get going by running ads and finding out that 5,000 of the 10,000 searches one month were to do with washing machine, cooker, and oven repairs. They then built washing machine, cooker, and oven repair websites and shutdown the electrican website. His friend’s phone then leapt off the hook."

Ask about them first - ASK what they do - relate it back to what you do.

Example being about to show how keyword rankings from SEO have increased since the new website. Show them actual analytics.

Follow Up With People
Send hand-crafted messages to everyone you know. In a short, friendly, non-needy way offer your help.

Example:

Hi Bob,

Hope you and your family are well.

Just thought I'd let you know some space has cleared in my calendar. If you need any help with AdWords or know anyone who does then just reach out.

We must catch up soon. It's long overdue!

Speak soon,
Andy

The important part is saying some space has cleared in your calendar. This isn't needy, but has them thinking how they can help you fill it.

Contact People You Know
Contact people who already trust you and have done business with you. Meet with people and try to talk to them and see what they need. Let them tell you their problems and help them solve them.

Good relationships are beneficial as that person will spread your name around.

Offer to meet with people and help them with their business over lunch - no sale necessary. Give 100% of the best advice you can in an hour or so to them. No pitch, no sales. Chances are they will ask YOU to help them in the end instead of doing it themselves.

Contact old connections you have lost touch with, etc and do this for lunch frequently.

Consider the following plan:

1) Use your existing network first.

2) Add to your existing network by doing such a good job that clients refer you on, and by being seen to help folks.

3) Use cold traffic *after* you've worked out how to sell to people who already know, like, and trust you.

Talk to Everyone
Tell EVERYONE what you do and SHOW how you do it and how it could help them with their problems.

Even if someone doesn’t become a client, it is one more person who knows you and what you do. They can pass that along to someone who may become a client.

Brief Emails
Give a website owner something of value in a quick email without selling them anything.

“Hi,

Spotted a wee typo:

<screenshot>

Andy”

“Hi,

I get this when I click on the Facebook link on your website:

<screenshot>

Andy”

May open a conversation where you can then offer more help.

If not it ultimately loops back into getting your name out there and in front of people so that they may think of you next time they need help. Offer value & service wherever possible.

Diesel And Coffee
Put in the effort to build relations and don’t just try to sell people things. Reconnecting with past connections will pay off enormously in the future.

Reach out to contacts you have lost touch with and try to arrange a time to meet and catch up. Don’t go in with a sales mindset but rather approach them with an open conversation about how you could both possibly help each other in the future.

Specifically for connections that own/manage businesses.

Loops back into following up with people you know & following up with people.

The more you get your name in front of people casually and share what you do, the more likely you pop into mind when they actually need your help.
Ooo. Nice. Thanks for your summary and takeaways @Nomads.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I had a chat a couple of days ago with a business owner who'd been referred to me. At the end of the video call I said I'd have a look at his Google Ads account and do some keyword research to see if there's decent volume and how long tail it is. (I like video calls as we can get to know each other better and quicker.)

He sent a couple of emails yesterday that I couldn't get to as I was busy.
  • In one email he said he was quietly optimistic.
  • In another he asked for an idea of costs.

I've just sent the reply below.

Notes:
  1. "Show, don't tell" that you know what you're talking about.
  2. The email is short an easy to read. I put screenshots and more details below my signature. I don't want him getting bogged down with detail.
  3. There's one CTA - to grant me access to his account. I normally put CTAs last, but thought it made sense to put it first in this case.
  4. I didn't reply with costs like he asked. Costs for what? I've not looked at his account to see if I can help and how much work it would take on my part. (That people keep asking for costs before I've figured out what needs done is a bit of a red flag for me.)
  5. I've annotated a couple of screenshots. It's not ME saying there's decent search volume and most is on mobile - it's GOOGLE saying it.
  6. I've only attached two screenshots and I've not gone overboard with annotations. He's a busy business owner and will appreciate me pointing out the most important highlights. I'm a busy business owner and don't want to spend more time on this than I need to.
  7. On that point, busy business owners appreciate short sentences and that you get to the point.
  8. I'm matter of fact and unemotional. I'm a busy business owner, I'm not a salesman desperate to make a sale.
  9. I've been told by some that my avatar is "unprofessional". Good. It can filter out people I don't want to work with.

2022-05-26_12-29-28.png

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
May 25, 2019
I had a chat a couple of days ago with a business owner who'd been referred to me. At the end of the video call I said I'd have a look at his Google Ads account and do some keyword research to see if there's decent volume and how long tail it is. (I like video calls as we can get to know each other better and quicker.)

He sent a couple of emails yesterday that I couldn't get to as I was busy.
  • In one email he said he was quietly optimistic.
  • In another he asked for an idea of costs.

I've just sent the reply below.

Notes:
  1. "Show, don't tell" that you know what you're talking about.
  2. The email is short an easy to read. I put screenshots and more details below my signature. I don't want him getting bogged down with detail.
  3. There's one CTA - to grant me access to his account. I normally put CTAs last, but thought it made sense to put it first in this case.
  4. I didn't reply with costs like he asked. Costs for what? I've not looked at his account to see if I can help and how much work it would take on my part. (That people keep asking for costs before I've figured out what needs done is a bit of a red flag for me.)
  5. I've annotated a couple of screenshots. It's not ME saying there's decent search volume and most is on mobile - it's GOOGLE saying it.
  6. I've only attached two screenshots and I've not gone overboard with annotations. He's a busy business owner and will appreciate me pointing out the most important highlights. I'm a busy business owner and don't want to spend more time on this than I need to.
  7. On that point, busy business owners appreciate short sentences and that you get to the point.
  8. I'm matter of fact and unemotional. I'm a busy business owner, I'm not a salesman desperate to make a sale.
  9. I've been told by some that my avatar is "unprofessional". Good. It can filter out people I don't want to work with.

View attachment 43675
No way to use this aviator in your real business , it is unprofessional

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

PowerJen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jun 13, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The TL;DR about positioning yourself

Want to get known as "The XYZ Guy"?

1) Talk about XYZ.

2) Help people with XYZ.

3) Be seen to help people with XYZ.
I talk about niche targeting and self publishing a book, how it can be done.
I help people by coaching them to write their book to build their brand. (I want to add niche targeting)
I'm not sure how three works best - but I do use portfolio photos and testimonials.

Question - how do I become known as the niche markets for books lady? It's a bit of a mouthful.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I talk about niche targeting and self publishing a book, how it can be done.
I help people by coaching them to write their book to build their brand. (I want to add niche targeting)
I'm not sure how three works best - but I do use portfolio photos and testimonials.

Question - how do I become known as the niche markets for books lady? It's a bit of a mouthful.
What would other people introduce you as?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Literally just now on LinkedIn. Notice how I even have to sell "free". Folks are suspicious of free.

2022-06-15_16-05-46.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Advice I just sent a friend who's doing a Zoom call with a potential client …

Make it a "chat" - as if you’re meeting for coffee. Have fun.

Ask them how business is going.

Then ask them how Google Ads is going.

Suggest they screenshare their account and you look over their shoulder.

Look at the last 30 days data and show them simple things they can do to stem the bleed, get profitable, and scale.

“Show, don’t tell” that you can help them.

If they ask about engaging you then ask for access so you can do a fuller review of the account to come up with a plan and a proposal.

If they don’t ask about engaging you then bid them a cheery good luck and tell them they can circle back if they need any help.

Leave it on a good note where you’ve made new connections who see you as helpful, friendly, enjoyable to work with, and competent (everything that makes you referable).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore